Replies

• Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You all are so inspiring to this almost 49 year old! I have a question that has most likely been answered. I apologize if it has. I am wanting to incorporate lifting. I honestly do not know where to begin. Can you recommend any books or websites? My newness is showing! Any advice?
  • tehHannata
    Options
    I love this thread <3

I lift but I dont look like I do.... I'm still quite high on the BF%. I'm only relatively new to lifting too. (3 months)

Currently I can do... Deadlift 100kg, power clean & press 47.5kg (working on the big 50!), snatching 22.5kg. Those lifts are the only big ones that I've done 1rm's for.

I'm TERRIBLE at squats of any kind, I've got trashed quads from an injury that I'm rehabbing so I tend to do unweighted squats at the moment.

edit: @redladywitch The New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great book :)
  • NerdyJenn
    NerdyJenn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You all are so inspiring to this almost 49 year old! I have a question that has most likely been answered. I apologize if it has. I am wanting to incorporate lifting. I honestly do not know where to begin. Can you recommend any books or websites? My newness is showing! Any advice?

As a really nice starter - New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Gives the chit chat that can help get right into it. And echoing others above me, I only really started 8 weeks ago and have seen my lift weights go up so much than I had ever thought possible.
  • Imaan2012
    Imaan2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    You can see my current physique in my profile pic. I go to the gym and lift with the boys. I do pull ups, real ones, I squat 60kg, bench 30kg and if you see me on a leg press machine I go up to 160kg.
    I do the same workouts as the boys, that is to say I don't skimp on my shoulder workouts for fear of getting bulky.
    Lifting has made me and my waist get tiny.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will look into that book. :happy:
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am plucking up the courage to give it a try. I will have a chat with a trainer. My gym has a 3 sessions for the price of 2 offer at the moment so might go for this.

Hi, ok, so still using the machines and pressing some fairly heavy stuff for me now, plus booked some training sessions on a one to one. Using dumbells, fitness ball etc and currently at 5kg each dumbell doing romanian deadlifts, some squats, bench press but on the ball etc. 3rd training session tomorrow. I am enjoying myself. Now down to 99 kilos and 101 kilos when I originally posted a message on this thread.

Thanks everyone for their fantastic advice, it is much appreciated.
    PS, my instructor is making me up the weights but not going mad as I am quite scared of injury. I asked about 5x5 but she said it was too advanced for me at the moment...
  • SaharaZaraMorocco
    SaharaZaraMorocco Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later. I lift, but not frequently enough and this thread is inspiration!
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't think I look bulky, just toned?...I however, have 10-l5 lbs of fat to lose-but that's where my diet comes in.
    I'm 5'3, 135 lbs
    I currently:
    squat 120 8x3
    bench 85 8x3
    dead 95 8x3
    overhead/miltary 55 8x3

photo_zps8ff498dd.png

swim_zps50fc8d56.png

rsz_1leg_zps9b0b21d9.jpg
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I'm really excited I found this thread. So inspirational.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Not as heavy as some of you, but bulky, no.
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    beat_dead_horse2.jpg

priceless
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Bump! I will return later with pics.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do stronglifts, but I don't think I'm bulky. Still have fat to lose though, yes.
    CW.png
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread. Does everyone lift at a gym is it possible to do this at home? I bought the book that was mentioned in this thread, but I need something more simplified. Like just tell me what to do with a chart and pictures so I don't have to flip thru the book, it's on my nook. Any suggestions?
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy(lol what I consider to be heavy). I do that and eat a ton of protein so I can have a large deficit while minimizing muscle loss. It seems to be working great so far. I've only lost about 10lbs so far and am getting so many positive comments. They don't believe that it's only ten pounds.

I am not bulky. I never will be either considering I'm a small boned female.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread. Does everyone lift at a gym is it possible to do this at home? I bought the book that was mentioned in this thread, but I need something more simplified. Like just tell me what to do with a chart and pictures so I don't have to flip thru the book, it's on my nook. Any suggestions?

Gym is of course easiest. One you get up to higher weights, especially on lower body, that size of equipments is expensive and big (power rack, olympic bars, plates, etc). But that doesn't mean working out with dumbbells or whatever at home is useless. What do you have?
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

Which book? The New Rules of Lifting for Women? I haven't read that one, but my understanding is that it's a little more complicated. Not sure of what it requires, although I think some people do it at home. My guess is that you pretty much need to use the book as it has a bunch of levels and stuff.

If you are going to lift at home, (many people do) then you will need some basic equipment. Personally, for lifting at home I like something simple like Stronglifts 5x5. Although you still need your barbell and plates, a bench, and preferably a squat rack or cage or something for safety. If you're looking at something like that, there is a stronglifts group on here for women that breaks down the workouts quite well. Less reading required. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Which book? The New Rules of Lifting for Women? I haven't read that one, but my understanding is that it's a little more complicated. Not sure of what it requires, although I think some people do it at home. My guess is that you pretty much need to use the book as it has a bunch of levels and stuff.

If you are going to lift at home, (many people do) then you will need some basic equipment. Personally, for lifting at home I like something simple like Stronglifts 5x5. Although you still need your barbell and plates, a bench, and preferably a squat rack or cage or something for safety. If you're looking at something like that, there is a stronglifts group on here for women that breaks down the workouts quite well. Less reading required. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Yes that book I did find it complicated. Thanks for your advice and link!