Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OMG! Enough of the lifting heavy=bulky threads........so over it, so over played

lol - check the OP date.

Right...lmao
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    OMG! Enough of the lifting heavy=bulky threads........so over it, so over played

lol - check the OP date.

Right...lmao

It's like saying, "I'm sick of these thread, so I'm going to read it, then respond, bumping it back up to the top so even MORE people will read it."

I don't like the "... the person above you threads." So I don't read them and don't respond to them.
  • giveMEbeauty
    giveMEbeauty Posts: 192
    Options
    Bump
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    38011609_5868.jpg before and after lifting heavy
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I started lifting heavy a few months ago and I love it.

I don't think I look bulky, just toned?...I however, have 10-l5 lbs of fat to lose-but that's where my diet comes in.
    I'm 5'3, 135 lbs
    I currently:
    squat 120 8x3
    bench 85 8x3
    dead 95 8x3
    overhead/miltary 55 8x3

photo_zps8ff498dd.png

swim_zps50fc8d56.png

rsz_1leg_zps9b0b21d9.jpg

You look amazing!
  • Eddieray616
    Eddieray616 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    once I've lost some weight how would I go about getting bulky? I know its hard for women but I want to be ripped. is it possible for women?
    I do Pro Wrestling so i wanna look intimidating.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    you ladies all look amazing, beautiful, lean and strong. I am not quite ready to post after pictures, I have been lifting for a while but recently moved to a combo of heavy lifting and core workout as a crosstraining for the 5K I am training for. Love that I can do both since lifting is my first love and I am trying to cross something off my fitness bucket list of running a mini-marthathon.

I can say 100% that I am not bulky from lifting, I am toning and looking long and lean.

My current stats:

5'11"
    154.5 lbs
    (nothing compared to you ladies)
    all the stats below is part of the 5X5 training so each I do 5X5
    squat - 90lbs
    deadlifts - 100lbs
    barbell rows - 100lbs
    bench 60lbs
    overhead - 60lbs

but I am just moving from lifting to heavy lifting to it a progression right?
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yup!
  • mickeyullrich
    mickeyullrich Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    you ladies all look amazing, beautiful, lean and strong. I am not quite ready to post after pictures, I have been lifting for a while but recently moved to a combo of heavy lifting and core workout as a crosstraining for the 5K I am training for. Love that I can do both since lifting is my first love and I am trying to cross something off my fitness bucket list of running a mini-marthathon.

I can say 100% that I am not bulky from lifting, I am toning and looking long and lean.

My current stats:

5'11"
    154.5 lbs
    (nothing compared to you ladies)
    all the stats below is part of the 5X5 training so each I do 5X5
    squat - 90lbs
    deadlifts - 100lbs
    barbell rows - 100lbs
    bench 60lbs
    overhead - 60lbs

but I am just moving from lifting to heavy lifting to it a progression right?

Nothing wrong with those stats I've just started training a work colleague and HE cant hit those numbers yet and his major compounds.....
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    <
    Not bulky, but I want to be. Guess that makes me the odd one out. I've been lifting for four months, lost a good amount of body fat and some weight. I'll actually be going on a bulk soon so I can GAIN.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

oo! thanks for bumping this! I forgot about it, and my pics mostly got erased from changing accounts.
    Lifting progressively heavier has changed my body significantly. Do it.

Me before: What I consider bulky.
    44475254_7520.jpg
    44475254_7846.jpg
    44475254_1042.jpg

me now: almost 42 years old.
    bench 100
    squat was 115, deloading to work on form
    OHP 55
    Dealift: 145, deloading cause vacation.

44475254_7338.jpg
    44475254_9.jpg
    44475254_1254.jpg
    44475254_6214.jpg
    IMGP3893-1.jpg
    c43deb01-0d53-47c4-8336-0440b07c1bae_zps303e263f.jpg
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this got bumped up. I plan to start soon...within the next few days and these before and after pictures has been very inspiring. You ladies look amazing! Thanks for sharing!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy made me un-bulky.

My current PRs (lbs):
    Back squat - 165 X 4
    Front squat - 145 X 4
    Conventional deadlift - 210 X 2
    Sumo deadlift - 170 X 5
    Overhead press - 90 X 3
    Bench press - 95 X 4
    Hip thrust - 220 X 10

Before:
    517622_8173.jpg

After:
    517622_973.jpg
  • CrankMeUp
    Options
    I'm so glad this got bumped up. I plan to start soon...within the next few days and these before and after pictures has been very inspiring. You ladies look amazing! Thanks for sharing!!

If you need any suggestions for simple effective programs to start with, here you go:smile: :

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

So sorry you're bothered by the ladies here who lift. Personally, I'm proud of what I've achieved and the changes in my body from heavy lifting. I was definitely bulky before, but definitely much less bulky now that I lift.

16691827_9881.jpg

16691827_3720.jpg

Current 1 rep maxes:
    Squat - 265lbs
    Deadlift - 295lbs
    Bench 115lbs
  • CrankMeUp
    Options

My current PRs (lbs):
    Back squat - 165 X 4
    Front squat - 145 X 4
    Sumo deadlift - 170 X 5
    Overhead press - 90 X 3
    Bench press - 95 X 4
    Hip thrust - 220 X 10

Before:
    517622_8173.jpg

After:
    517622_973.jpg

i will i could curse.

you are so beeping fantastic!!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My current PRs (lbs):
    Back squat - 165 X 4
    Front squat - 145 X 4
    Sumo deadlift - 170 X 5
    Overhead press - 90 X 3
    Bench press - 95 X 4
    Hip thrust - 220 X 10

Before:
    517622_8173.jpg

After:
    517622_973.jpg

Absolutely frigging fantastic changes. You look great.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I do 5 sets of 5 reps with the highest weight I can handle. When I am on a regular program I see some definition in my arms, which are quite thin to begin with, and they get bigger. My shirts and jackets become snug. I am not bulky in the way that a body builder would be, but I am definitely bigger. I don't mind because bigger shoulders balance my silhouette and every woman wants nice firm arms.

I store all my fat in my hips and butt. At 98.5 pounds and a body fat percentage under 20% according to my scale I can't lose a whole lot more fat, even if I were up to the monumental task of doing it. I don't want my hips and butt to get any bigger because they're already disproportionately big in my view. When in the past I have done squats and other lower body exercises using weights I have gotten bigger. I read all the crap about it being a "myth" or all in my head but I know my own body well enough to know if it was increasing in size. I've also seen photos on the web of women with my body type, short with the potential to look stocky who look very squat (which is their choice). So now I don't use direct weight resistance on those parts. I don't have a need for that kind of strength. My legs are strong enough from running and the elliptical and sometimes I do calf raises to firm up my calves, which are thin.
  • CrankMeUp
    Options
    I do 5 sets of 5 reps with the highest weight I can handle. When I am on a regular program I see some definition in my arms, which are quite thin to begin with, and they get bigger. My shirts and jackets become snug. I am not bulky in the way that a body builder would be, but I am definitely bigger. I don't mind because bigger shoulders balance my silhouette and every woman wants nice firm arms.

I store all my fat in my hips and butt. At 98.5 pounds and a body fat percentage under 20% according to my scale I can't lose a whole lot more fat, even if I were up to the monumental task of doing it. I don't want my hips and butt to get any bigger because they're already disproportionately big in my view. When in the past I have done squats and other lower body exercises using weights I have gotten bigger. I read all the crap about it being a "myth" or all in my head but I know my own body well enough to know if it was increasing in size. I've also seen photos on the web of women with my body type, short with the potential to look stocky who look very squat (which is their choice). So now I don't use direct weight resistance on those parts. I don't have a need for that kind of strength. My legs are strong enough from running and the elliptical and sometimes I do calf raises to firm up my calves, which are thin.

andddd here she is.

I would like pictures of this "big" you describe of your hips and butt.

Also, why do come in these threads? every time!