Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm bulky, but it's because of all the extra fat. :laugh:
  • kaee13
    kaee13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I appreciate the reply. If I do lift now, can I still eat at TDEE - 20% without eating exercise calories (since they are part of TDEE)? I guess that's what I'm most confused about.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the reply. If I do lift now, can I still eat at TDEE - 20% without eating exercise calories (since they are part of TDEE)? I guess that's what I'm most confused about.

Yes you can. Same concept as any other exercise.
  • kaee13
    kaee13 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I was most disappointed tonight to watch a series with jillian michaels where she had Bob harper on, who was talking about crosscut. And she said how she didn't want to get bigger doing the heavy weights and how he was noticeably larger. It seems strange given she seems so on top of other things, that she considers heavy weight lifting would prevent her from remaining small.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I was most disappointed tonight to watch a series with jillian michaels where she had Bob harper on, who was talking about crosscut. And she said how she didn't want to get bigger doing the heavy weights and how he was noticeably larger. It seems strange given she seems so on top of other things, that she considers heavy weight lifting would prevent her from remaining small.

That's a perfect exapmple of what a ruthless sellout she is. Her physique is the product of lifting heavy, but her product that makes her rich is 30DS and all the related things- so she's saying what she needs to say to sell videos.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

That's a perfect exapmple of what a ruthless sellout she is. Her physique is the product of lifting heavy, but her product that makes her rich is 30DS and all the related things- so she's saying what she needs to say to sell videos.

Makes sense. I noticed her workouts don't use weights above 20 ibs. I wonder why she didn't market a heavy weights DVD as well/ instead of ? Anyway that is the final nail in a long line of nails in the coffin of any small bit of respect I had for her.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I wonder why she didn't market a heavy weights DVD as well/ instead of ?

Because it would be the most boring video in the existence of exercise dvds. "Ok, bench press. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Now rest a few minutes. (Plays elevator music). Ok. Let's do it again. One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Now rest...."
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have lost 18 pounds in weight so far and have over the last 3 months used weight machines increasing the weights rather than the reps. I am noticing definition in arms, back etc and have dropped a dress size. I do a 10 minute warmup walking, do the weights and squats (about 30 minutes) and then 15 minutes as hard as I can on the AMT, 3 minutes fast 2 minutes slow x 3.

I do this around 2-3 times a week which is all I can fit in.

My question is, do I need to move to free weights and would I benefit from this? Our gym is full of men who box and train using the free weights and I feel a bit intimidated by them. I am 53 and currently weigh around 101 KG - down from 110kg. I want to get to around 70KG eventually so a long way to go.

Thanks!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Free weights make a difference. I did machine weights for a year, and I was thrilled with the results I got from them, but I'm amazed at what free weights did after just a few months.

Photos in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/886672-1-5-million-calories-in-775-days
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would benefit from free weights. You will use your whole body for stabilization unlike with the machines which isolate your muscle groups.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I am plucking up the courage to give it a try. I will have a chat with a trainer. My gym has a 3 sessions for the price of 2 offer at the moment so might go for this.
  • angelagarvey
    Options
    I am no where near where I want to be and I am benching 120 for 3-5 reps. I don't consider myself bulky. I'm still loosing fat and just starting to look fit.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty excited. I did my stronglifts yesterday and i was feeling a little bold with my deadlifts. I ended up doing 185# for my 5 reps. It wasn't easy, but i did it... and my form was solid too!
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavier and it has made a big difference!! Not bulking up at all :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    ... I think I need to up my handweights in class.. I use 2lb weights.. but I'm a weakling!! hahah
    I'm scared to go from 2 to 5lbs though, might find a 3 or 4 pound hand weight! haha

I'm intimidated, you all are hot!!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I love it that I just saw a link to this thread in a topic posted by someone who's been lifting for 2 weeks who is made bc now the sleeves of her shirts are too tight. :)
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Bump...going to pick up lifting heavy.
  • IamFocused
    IamFocused Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You ladies look G-R-E-A-T!!!!... Thanks for sharing
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    bump