Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was a state power lifter (: It was my life! I was in the weight room 8 times a week, took weekends off.

:drinker: You rock! :drinker:
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You ladies are FABULOUS!

I'm working my way into your ranks, hope to be there soon.

Seriously jealous of a bunch of you and I can't wait to be as "bulky" and "manly" as you all!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    As MoreBean is a bully, and I realized that I actually do not have any pics of me with clothes on...taken when I got home from work.

Deadlift: 280lb
    Squat: 3 x 210lb
    Bench 135lb
    OHP: 95lb

5 6" 151lb

Bulky?

2e010827-06e5-43bf-a462-d8bd5e3866ca_zps94e6344a.jpg
    :bigsmile:
    Bulkalicious!
    And in all the right places :P
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    Bench 175-Squat 305-Dead Lift 350
    This was before I had my baby (which is why I am here) but this was my stats in these pictures.

5b364ab2-af28-4c42-97eb-53b96fd6489d_zpsa6a9b9d4.jpg

c82b1e17-1c1e-4d24-8d5e-0019b723fe7f_zps5f29875a.jpg

Saw others posted their weight and Just wanted to add (it won't let me edit) that I am 5'6" and was 165 pounds.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    NO, these are not my "street clothes", but...today I purchased my first 2 piece bathing suit in 3 kids and 7 years.
    I have heavy lifting to thank for this "bulkiness" ;)
    36524F2C-3F51-4FF1-A7CA-BD44B2B13985-4430-00000586212FE08C_zps5f8ec5f4.jpg
    1D3FC456-7D53-4431-B2CD-9E1802D6271A-4430-0000058613DA09FB_zpsf89a9515.jpg
    AD1658B9-9770-42C4-87D7-657753432DB0-4430-000005861A926E5C_zpse0beaad2.jpg
  • fruitloafxo
    Options
    I lift heavy..
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    @Sarah- HOT DAMMM GIRL! YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy..

You're making me embarrassed to be a QLDer :blushing:

I just lifted heavy but I've only just started so no after pics yet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That she does!
  • Saunz5
    Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy!

5x5 on all:
    Squats: 170#
    Bench Press: 90#
    Barbell Rows: 95#
    OHP: 80#
    DL: 165#

Then I switched programs, but I was happy with what I did in the time it took to get there! :o)
    Started with bar on everything and lifted 3 days a week for 9 weeks and got those numbers.
    Gained LOTS of strength! :)
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm working on it.

I can OH about 35 (I had to rest, so I'll do the same weight Monday), I should get up to the empty 45 lb bar next week for bench (so excited), I barbell row about 35. I started with a very simple workout from Stumptuous with single sets of twelve reps for a month, then deloading a little bit and adding a second set for a month, then adding a third set for a month. I know that's too many reps to be considered "heavy", but I am adding weight every workout or every other workout as I can.

I haven't added deadlifts yet; should get to that at the end of the first month.

I am presently squatting body weight very carefully hanging on to the back of the Smith machine for dear life (hey, it IS good for *something*) with a Tensor brace on my bad knee. I think I'm all the way up to thirteen. *sheepish laugh* I have extensive knee damage, so I have to gradually teach them how to bend "that way" and get them used to the notion of bearing my weight. Present hope is to be able to do 25 bodyweight squats unassisted by Canada Day (July). Then, and ONLY then, will I consider adding weight.

Can't really do NRoLfW or SL 5x5 until I can actually squat, so I'm trying to be patient with myself . Not so good at being patient with myself, but I realize that injury is not going to be productive.

I am open to suggestions from other women who lift about how to strengthen my quads and hamstrings without the machines so I can get better at squatting. I'm trying my best to stick to free weights (stabilizing muscles FTW).

I do 20 minutes of elliptical after my ab work. I also do 20 minutes of stretching after each workout.

Thanks for all the pictures and stories ladies. They're so encouraging, and you're all so gorgeous.

I have no fear whatsoever of getting bulky. I would LOVE to actually see my muscles. I'm sure there are some under all this flab somewhere. They get pulled or pinched once in a while and remind me they're there. :)

=Betty=
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    women can get bulky with heavy lifting if they are eating a lot (a surplus if they are underweight or ideal and at their maintenance level (for a great deal of time of course) if they are overweight (depends on how much overweight of course).

it isn't as simple as "heavy" vs "light" lifting.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 135lbs, 40 yrs old and just started heavy lifting within the past year. I squat 70lbs, row 60lbs (and with a shoulder injury that I shouldn't be lifting more than 25lbs ever...HA!) all lower body a minimum of 70lbs and slowly working on that...

14aet7c.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    women can get bulky with heavy lifting if they are eating a lot (a surplus if they are underweight or ideal and at their maintenance level (for a great deal of time of course) if they are overweight (depends on how much overweight of course).

Define bulky.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Speaking of looking/feeling like you weigh less...

I bought these (truly hideous, I know) jeans in 19-frickin-86 when I was about 14 years old and no more than 110 pounds.

I had a soft spot for them and couldn't throw them out (*cough*hoarder*cough*). I remember posting about them on FB some time in 2010 saying I should ditch them because they only way they'll ever fit again, the only way I'd be 110 pounds again, would be if I became horribly ill.

I was half right. I would need to be horribly ill to be 110 pounds again. I currently have a lean mass of about 110 pounds. Now I'm 40 years old and around 135 pounds, and those ugly frickin' jeans fit.

aIMG_5566.jpg

They don't fit comfortably, mind you, but they fit.

omg LorinaLynn! you look great and i seriously seriously love those jeans. (i want them!!) :)
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Bench 175-Squat 305-Dead Lift 350

Oh. My. God. Those are INSANE stats, and I am in awe. Bow down!
  • weese17
    Options
    ANYONE can get bulky with heavy lifting if they are eating a lot (a surplus if they are underweight or ideal and at their maintenance level (for a great deal of time of course) if they are overweight (depends on how much overweight of course).

There, fixed that for you.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options

That she does!

Thanks so very much, ladies! I have you both to thank for my daily inspiration as fellow bad *kitten* women lifters!
  • weese17
    Options
    Okay, so, here are my pics. I have been lifting heavy for about 8 months, but only able to do so once a week. I just got a bench, bar & plates at home, though, so now I can lift anytime, and I am IN HEAVEN. :D I also have been working almost exclusively on romanian DL rather than OLY (simply because I like romanian more), so my OLY DL numbers are light comparatively.

I'm 5'7", 143 pounds.

OLY DL: 125x5
    Romanian DL: 200x1 (PR!); 180 for reps
    Squat: 145x6
    Clean & Press: 65x6
    Bench: 65x5 (a weakness, clearly -- I've had shoulder pain so this isn't a lift I've focused on)
    Bentover barbell row: 95x4
    Unassisted pull ups - 2x3!!!

DSC003942_zpsc0a89e26.jpg

gams_zps59a7ccd1.jpg

410_zpsa66ab7ab.jpg
    Me and my hottie husband, emanyalpsid, on our fifth anniversary. :)

DSC00040_zps845f6c18.jpg
    Bulky as hell.