Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    ANYONE can get bulky with heavy lifting if they are eating a lot (a surplus if they are underweight or ideal and at their maintenance level (for a great deal of time of course) if they are overweight (depends on how much overweight of course).

it isn't as simple as "heavy" vs "light" lifting.

There, fixed that for you.

there was nothing to fix. this topic is aimed at women (a survey of women) and thus my response was aimed at women.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    @WEESE! YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!! SMOKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    ANYONE can get bulky with heavy lifting if they are eating a lot (a surplus if they are underweight or ideal and at their maintenance level (for a great deal of time of course) if they are overweight (depends on how much overweight of course).

it isn't as simple as "heavy" vs "light" lifting.

There, fixed that for you.

there was nothing to fix. this topic is aimed at women (a survey of women) and thus my response was aimed at women.

It seems like your definition of getting bulky actually means "build new muscle", in which case I agree.
    But with a miniscule amount of testosterone compared to men, actually bulking up never happens unintentionally, it takes months to add a few lbs of muscle with a surplus and VERY hard work on a woman with normal testosterone levels. 'Roids would do it though.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Ah, but your phrasing implied that this was some sort of special truism for women only. It's not.
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    @WEESE! YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!!! SMOKIN'!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, thank you! And likewise! :happy:
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, I would like to think....

5'8.5" @141 lbs US Size 8

185lbs x 5 x 3 In squats. Right now, that's all the pressure my spine can take, and I'm usually pretty sore the next day.
    I only bench 75 lbs. *cries*

IMG_20121231_183056_1_zpsd2a99256.jpg
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    LOVE this thread!
  • QueenofComeBacks
    QueenofComeBacks Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great Thread! I want to start lifting heavy but don't know where to start... message me if you know how much i should start lifting at first! Thanks ladies!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Weese, you look amazing!!!
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Great Thread! I want to start lifting heavy but don't know where to start... message me if you know how much i should start lifting at first! Thanks ladies!

What program are you using? You start very light, and work on perfecting your form with light weights, or for things like squats you start with an empty bar. Once you're comfortable with the movements, you stepwise add weight until you get to a weight amount where, depending on your program, you can only do 5-8 reps *with good form*. The actual amount of weight will be different for each person and per exercise. Don't worry if it's light- it just means you'll be able to hit LOTS of PR's!
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    Me in street clothes, beginning of the year, about 170lbs, 5'8

23qxj7k.jpg

As of Thanksgiving I deadlift 210, squat 180 and OHP 75.

Recently I deadlifted 195 for two reps, benched 90 for two reps, and squatted 175 for two reps. Also just hit a PR in oly lifting, 105 power snatch and a 105 squat clean for three reps.

Body looks phenomenal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy, I would like to think....

5'8.5" @141 lbs US Size 8

185lbs x 5 x 3 In squats. Right now, that's all the pressure my spine can take, and I'm usually pretty sore the next day.
    I only bench 75 lbs. *cries*

IMG_20121231_183056_1_zpsd2a99256.jpg

You look absolutely fantastic with or without clothes....wait! what?....that sounded creepy!
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    I just recently PR'd with my bench press at 205 lbs for 5 reps. I can row 165 lbs for 10 reps. Deadlfted 315 lbs a while back but hurt my lower back a couple weeks ago so haven't used it much.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I am flabby and i lift heavy I think i am doing it wrong

Don't know why, but I can't stop laughin at this
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    055de5e1-d561-4c96-aa12-b5861122e9cd_zps527f0c6f.jpg
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Random question, but do you ladies all have spotters? I want to start lifting again (I lifted back in high school- with 1 RMs of 155 cleans, 115 bench, and 135 squats, <-- yes my legs are weak). I really loved lifting, but I don't have a spotter here at my university. And there's literally, like, nobody in the free weights when I go in the morning. :/
    I'm wondering if you guys have still gotten these results with a spotter, or by yourself? I love free weights, and if I'm going to lift heavy, it better be with free weights.
  • mike_gee15
    Options
    Random question, but do you ladies all have spotters? I want to start lifting again (I lifted back in high school- with 1 RMs of 155 cleans, 115 bench, and 135 squats, <-- yes my legs are weak). I really loved lifting, but I don't have a spotter here at my university. And there's literally, like, nobody in the free weights when I go in the morning. :/
    I'm wondering if you guys have still gotten these results with a spotter, or by yourself? I love free weights, and if I'm going to lift heavy, it better be with free weights.

I'm not a lady but can I answer this question? I lift without a spotter, but I don't try and go til failure. I just go til I can't push one more than drop the weight about 5 percent and keep going til I feel like I have left. Then I'm done. Allows me for more work and higher volume. Hope this helps?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Bench - I use a spotter, but not max lifts
    Squats - I do not use a spotter as I lift in a squat rack/power cage

I don't need spotters for my other lifts.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I use a power rack with safety bars in lieu of a spotter for regular bench- I rarely go all the way to failure. On the rare occasion that I do I'll flag down someone to come help for a minute, but in general I don't use a spotter. I did get trapped under the bar once and had to roll out, but it wasn't a big deal. It's something you should know how to do, though.

I never do max lifts for squats or OHP, and you don't need one for rows or deadlifts or chins or dips- so basically I don't use a spotter at all, except for those very rare bench occasions. Actually, dudes come and try to spot me more often than I want- I can send them to you, haha.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy. I'm bulky but only because I still have 30 lbs of fat left to lose.

But I have dropped 4 dress sizes by lifting heavy and eating a decent amount of food.

I have lost countless inches and 43 lbs.

I do minimal cardio.

Squats 160 for 3 sets of 8
    Bench = 95 lbs for 3 sets of 6
    Deadlift = 125lbs for 3 sets of 8