Do you lift heavy? Are you bulky?

Options

Replies

• MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options

THIS ^^ All of this. I have been listening for a long time, but I finally got off my butt. I don't know why I waited so long. But, I'm on my way now, and let me tell you, even having just started, I feel amazing! Nobody can see it yet, but I know it's there. :)

And anyone lurking who thinks you are too old, or that you can never look like some of these women because they are like 25, that is complete and utter nonsense. I'm turning 50 in a few weeks and I have people on my FL who are the same age or older, and lifting heavy, and they look amazing.

Thank you and all the lady lifters on this forum for being such a great inspiration.

It is never to late to start. I am 45 and only started lifting in the strength rep range about 10 months ago. No matter what rep range however, strength training of some kind is very important, especially to women, and especially as you get older due to risks of osteoporosis - plus, it makes you feel like a bad@ss.

Sarah kind of beat me to it, but I have to concur. I was actually going to quote the first comment and say Sara is in her 40s and has a fantastic body.

And, (again, beat to it but...worth repeating)

Lifting will make you feel like you are on top of the world. At no time ever in my entire life have I felt more powerful, strong, sexy, exhilarated, confident, add whatever descriptor for awesomeness you want right here.

This is very true! The feeling I get from lifting weights can't be described! Especially when I am leg pressing 250 with ease and the guy after me does only 100....So many other examples like this. I wish more women would get into weight lifting. It really changed the composition of my body.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

This is very true! The feeling I get from lifting weights can't be described! Especially when I am leg pressing 250 with ease and the guy after me does only 100....So many other examples like this. I wish more women would get into weight lifting. It really changed the composition of my body.

Yep, Maria. it's a cheap thrill but...oh such a thrill. I asked some dudes who were taking turns curling one day if they were going to use 2 45 lb plates that were near them but not in use yet and they looked at the leg press I already had loaded with 180 lbs and said "You need more than that??" It was one of the best things ever.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I lift, though I wouldn't say I lift "heavy" - I do weekly progression, starting new weight at 7 reps and working up to 15 for 3 sets, and an alternating up/ low split (currently squatting about 275, if my math is right, after several months of a routine through which I lost a lot of strength, I'm just getting back to my weights. My deadlifts and bent rows and stuff are depressing now. :( BOO)

I do a little cardio (not a focus).

I'm 5'8", and around 140.

And that's me in my profile pic. I don't think I'm bulky. In fact, I lost a bunch of pants sizes when I started lifting.

holy hammer, you're squatting 275 and you wouldn't say your lifting "heavy?"

^^^ This! 275 is HEAVY!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I missed giving some "you look amazing" comments last night! Every gal in here is looking fantastic and is a mad testament to the fact that lifting more than 8 lbs will not make you grow a weenie. :)

So hot. :smokin:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    WOW! reading everyone's stats, I realize I am waaaaay behind. But then, I just started NROLFW a mere two weeks ago. Taking it slow to be safe.

ETA: and OMG, I would so LOVE to look like @the_dizzle some day. Awesome job, lady.
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    My heavy lifting is weak cuz I just started but bumping cuz one day I will be slim and trim and be a monster lifter. LOL
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Let's try again....
    DF7F2807-27D0-4CDD-8400-C33310FFC74D-2448-0000030A7CA2A5E2_zpsc4063750.jpg

I missed this earlier...looking very good there indeed...but I hope you know the guy having a quick grope of your butt...not that I can blame him! :tongue:

Bwahahaha....yeah, that would be my husband. Under normal circumstances, he has issues keeping his hands to himself, but since I've been squatting 3 days per week...he's out of control handsy! I love it!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Bwahahaha....yeah, that would be my husband. Under normal circumstances, he has issues keeping his hands to himself, but since I've been squatting 3 days per week...he's out of control handsy! I love it!

Squat booty, tight jeans and red high heals? The man is showing an amazing amount of control. : )
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recent pics in street clothes, but here is before heavy lifting and last month's progress picture. I am due to take new pics this weekend, but wanted to go ahead and throw this in the thread. I do compound barbell lifts as heavy as I can, three times a week, walk on the treadmill for "cardio" a couple times a week. I am 5'6.5, I am so "bulky" that my co-workers think I weight about 15lbs less than I actually do.
    Day1toPresent_zps12146a9d.png

All you ladies are super inspiring! A thread like this is what got me into lifting weights last year!
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later...love this!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just took this...feeling super bulky today. :laugh:

Photoon2013-02-08at13174_zpse07ddb9a.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yeah, just took this...feeling super bulky today. :laugh:

Photoon2013-02-08at13174_zpse07ddb9a.jpg

Hawt!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recent pics in street clothes, but here is before heavy lifting and last month's progress picture. I am due to take new pics this weekend, but wanted to go ahead and throw this in the thread. I do compound barbell lifts as heavy as I can, three times a week, walk on the treadmill for "cardio" a couple times a week. I am 5'6.5, I am so "bulky" that my co-workers think I weight about 15lbs less than I actually do.
    Day1toPresent_zps12146a9d.png

All you ladies are super inspiring! A thread like this is what got me into lifting weights last year!

<---jelly!
  • JezzD1
    JezzD1 Posts: 431
    Options
    I am loving this thread, so inspiring!!!
  • erincampbell9
    erincampbell9 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifter here!

DL: 215
    Bench: 105
    Squat: 185
    BW: 136

25536715_6802.jpg
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy...before i started....
    33110506_7732.jpg
    33110506_3110.jpg

during and currently....i am now 5'11" and these pics after between 175 and 185 pounds
    33110506_4848.jpg
    33110506_8190.jpg
    33110506_2955.jpg
    33110506_33.jpg

YOU RULE
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    As MoreBean is a bully, and I realized that I actually do not have any pics of me with clothes on...taken when I got home from work.

Deadlift: 280lb
    Squat: 3 x 210lb
    Bench 135lb
    OHP: 95lb

5 6" 151lb

Bulky?

2e010827-06e5-43bf-a462-d8bd5e3866ca_zps94e6344a.jpg
    :bigsmile:
    Bulkalicious!
    Someday I hope to be bulky like you!

Me too!!!