Easy Low-Cal Cake? OH YES! :)

Options

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    Ok, I did some googling since different cake mixes have different calorie counts and sometimes different sized boxes so from this thread....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/519175-how-many-calories-in-3-tbsp-microwave-cake?page=1

(I changed the wording a bit to keep it more vague.)

Add the calories of the two dry cake mixes together to get your total calorie count. Once you mix them together, weigh out the 3 tablespoons of cake mixes and then you should be able to divide that into the total weight of the bag of mix to see how many servings there are.

Math makes my brain explode but it's way easier than standing there and counting out the tablespoons one by one until the mix is gone. :smile:
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a Duncan Hines creation. I was reading some of the comments on their page and seeing people say when they tried it with other brands the results weren't all that desirable. That could be possible depending on the different brands ingredients.

http://www.duncanhines.com/recipes/cakes/patti40/3-2-1-microwave-cake/

And in regards to calories... even a recipe as simple as this I *never* trust someone else's calorie calculations. I prefer to double check the math myself as calories vary from brand to brand and flavor to flavor.
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The taste of coffee is just really pleasant to me :) so if there's a way to make a cake that has the hinted taste of coffee, it's gotta be delicious! Thank you for sharing!

Make the cake with espresso/coffee instead of water. You may need to play with the ratio to see what works best.

True!!! Especially with the Chocolate one.. gives it more depth!!! Spinkle a few Dark Chocolate Chips or peanut butter and mmmmm
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Anyone wanna post a picture showing how big the cakes get? I'm imagining a quarter-sized lump! XD
  • NikkiHann17
    NikkiHann17 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Will def try thanks.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This is usually more in the 130 range but it does depend on what mixes you use. I don't know what mix would get it down to 50 cal.

This is real cake, it's less calories than a slice of cake because it's a smaller portion. It's great because you can make one serving at a time. When I have enough calories I often make a double recipe. Doubled it's about the same calories as a regular slice of cake but I don't have a whole cake calling me.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not going to get into the calorie calculations, but I agree with those that have said to calculate it for yourself.

I made this tonight with a yellow cake mix/white angel food. It had almost a custard/eggy flavor to it which I love. I think it's very good and think it would be great with a bit of fruit--cut up strawberries or crushed pineapple would really enhance the flavor.

I made it in a standard mug and it came up to about 1.5 inches from the top of the mug, which surprised me. The angel food cake makes it "crawl" up the sides of the mug.

The other part that I like is the portion control. The rest of the mix can get put back in the cupboard and not torture me like a whole cake sitting on the counter would do to me.
  • pacosal
    pacosal Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Anyone wanna post a picture showing how big the cakes get? I'm imagining a quarter-sized lump! XD

They're not small at all! About the size of a regular cupcake (even a little bigger). I made these tonight, poured the finished cupcake out onto a plate for my kids and put sprinkles on top (no frosting). They were thrilled!

MugCupcake_zps04d66a00.jpg
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options

They're not small at all! About the size of a regular cupcake (even a little bigger). I made these tonight, poured the finished cupcake out onto a plate for my kids and put sprinkles on top (no frosting). They were thrilled!

MugCupcake_zps04d66a00.jpg

Thanks for the pic! I totally agree with all the posters who say that this is a nice compromise for those "leftover calories" without having a tray of cake or brownies "waiting" to be binged on. To each his/her own! The key is self-knowledge and having substitutions to prevent binging and guilt for eating sweets!
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the brownie recipe, too! I have a feeling that my kiddos and I would love this and it's all real ingredients----versus some of the cake mixes which I'm a little leery of their "extra" additives! (Not saying I don't eat them or give them to my kids, just not very often and willingly!)
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Add a few berries, so good!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Do count the calories in your own mixes, and I recommend weighing the servings rather than scooping.

I made this for the first time today using Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge and Angel Food cakes. A 30 gram serving of the mixture (approximately 3 tbsp) is 109 cals. Easiest way to figure it out: weigh the entire mixture of powder, use the boxes to figure out how many calories TOTAL are in both boxes, divide by the number of weighed servings you can made from the total.

This made a surprisingly large, moist and tasty cake. A sprinkle of mini chocolate chips and a dollop of fat-free cool whip made my total treat about 150 cals, and worth it. :)
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Holy cow those are huge!!! lol Awesome! Thanks for the photo - love the sprinkles :D
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Happygirl50
    Happygirl50 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • pelicanbrave
    Options
    I tried this and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. I substituted coffee for the water and added a little peanut butter on top....Ummmmm!!
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    bump!
  • rubyangler
    Options
    thanks
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    wow definitely trying this!