Easy Low-Cal Cake? OH YES! :)

Options

Replies

• onehurt
    onehurt Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I used A hy vee angle food cake mix and a Pillsbury - Moist Supreme Sugar Free Devil's Food Cake Mix then added 17.3 Tbs of Hershey's - Special Dark 100% Cacao (Baking Cocoa), and according on what I came up with was 63 calories using the recipe calculater here unless I screwed up somewhere. Adding the extra chocolate really helped!

Mark
  • mollicam
    Options
    Hi all, I tried this and it does work and make a very delicious cake but the calorie count is actually about 115 calories for 3 tablespoons using a sugar free chocolate cake mix. the calories per gram for angel's food is 140 calories/38 grams and devils food sugar free is 120 calories/38 grams. Its about 3.42 calories per gram and there is about 11 grams in a tablespoons. So there is about 37.62 calories per tablespoon. 3 tablespoons x 37.62 is about 112 calories. There will be some variance in weight for your measuring. Just wanted to let everyone know, it is a great treat but it is more than 50 calories.

Okay, people . . . I made a recipe tonight that I've seen circulating around MFP quite often. It was freaking AMAZING! It's the 3-ingredient coffee mug cake! I bought an angel food cake mix and decided to buy a plain white cake mix as my other mix. You can buy any flavor of cake mix you want but one of the two has to be an angel food cake. Mix the two boxes together in a 1-gallon zip lock bag and make sure they are mixed well. Measure out 3 tablespoons into a coffee mug along with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir really well and microwave for 1 minute. You will be amazed! The cutest and most perfectly shaped round little cake will fall out of your mug when you turn it upside down and you will think you just ate a piece of heaven! It is moist and sweet and only has around 50 calories!!! The best part is now you have a zip lock baggie full of goodness for anytime you are craving something sweet . . . and it will only take a minute to make another! YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS . . . you will not be disappointed! :)
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    This sounds wonderful!
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I make similar cake only without the angel food and it works just fine. I do 3 tablespoons of any cake mix, 2 tablespoons of water and 1 minute in the microwave and it comes out a perfect little snack size cake. I have never used angel food and it rises fine. Sometimes I do half of the water as applesauce and it makes it extra tasty.
  • Fairy_Farts
    Fairy_Farts Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Great. Now I'm drooling on the keyboard :laugh: and all I can think about is cake instead of the homework I should be doing right now.

I'm going to try this out tomorrow so that I can get it off my mind. :wink:
  • katie_fitzy
    katie_fitzy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness-bumping this for cake cravings!
  • ltowns11
    ltowns11 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yummy!!!!
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • chloecox
    chloecox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great, now I'm hungry for cake! Haven't said that in a while. Has anyone had issues with it sticking to the mug? Does it just pop out easily or are you greasing the mug?
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I've always detested angel food cake because of the texture. How much denser is this combination mix cake than angel food cake?
  • TheKatnav
    TheKatnav Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cake made from mix. Foul. That stuff has started to make its way over to the UK, its just the sweep ups off the floor with a whole load of additives and crap. Better off making real cake god knows what all that rubbish does to your insides.
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great, now I'm hungry for cake! Haven't said that in a while. Has anyone had issues with it sticking to the mug? Does it just pop out easily or are you greasing the mug?

Mine popped right out of the mug . . . with no problem! :)
  • Melissakay1222
    Options
    I've always detested angel food cake because of the texture. How much denser is this combination mix cake than angel food cake?

Mine didn't have that heavy angel food texture. It was more like a fluffy light cake.
  • Melissakay1222
    Options
    Cake made from mix. Foul. That stuff has started to make its way over to the UK, its just the sweep ups off the floor with a whole load of additives and crap. Better off making real cake god knows what all that rubbish does to your insides.

No one said you HAD to make it. If it doesn't sound good . . . keep scrolling!!!
  • Bvicritter
    Options
    Made this again and added a teaspoon of raspberry jam to the mix.... Yum!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I think it's closer to 100+ calories. You can find it in the data base under 123 cake.
  • fitfortrack1
    Options
    YUUUUMMM thank you for sharing!!! :D
  • anna32aries
    anna32aries Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I couldn't take it anymore and made a chocolate protein mug cake from the scraps I had left in my kitchen just now. I had no cake mix :( so had to improvise! It's higher in calories around 200 but it turned out really good, I had a bit of cool whip as the topping.

Mix dry ingredients:
    3 Tbsp Whole Wheat Flour
    20 grams of chocolate protein powder (just had that left at the bottom of container)
    2 Packets of sweetner
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    Pinch salt
    Grated 1 85% Lindt chocolate square ( had no cocoa powder either)

Add:
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3 Tbsp Apple Sauce unsweetened
    3 Tbsp Skim Milk

Sprayed a coffee mug with canola oil so it pops out easy and microwave for 2 min 30 secs (my microwave ain't great so in old check every minute to see if it's done)
  • sue3mac
    sue3mac Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    :happy: Tried your brownie cake and it was pretty good, my sweet tooth thanks you!