S/O name tattoed

Options

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My wife's name is tattooed on my ring finger. Been together for 25 years. I'd be willing to bet we will be together until I pass away.

Kind of off topic, but I've always loved this idea! I work in an industry where its actually kind of dangerous for me to be wearing any jewelry (not a huge jewelry wearer anyway, to be honest), especially rings so the idea of getting a tattoo on my ring finger and then either wearing the actual ring on my necklace or keeping it safe at home works on so many levels. Also, it would help save the quality of the ring, I doubt they do well when concrete soaks through gloves while doing cylinder testing.
  • kaybelieve
    Options
    Me and my best friend are getting eachothers names tattoo'd on eachother, sure there's a chance we might not be friends forever but surely that's not the point? It's a little weird though because I don't think I could get someones name who i'm in a relationship with tattoo'd onto my body but with my best friend it's a different story? Anybody get that haha
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Never! I have a friend going through a divorce right now and her soon-to-be ex-husband's name is scrolling accross her chest. No thank you!
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thats amazing and a heck of along time! congrats!
  • camelgirlmn
    Options
    My wife's name is tattooed on my ring finger. Been together for 25 years. I'd be willing to bet we will be together until I pass away.

Thats amazing and a heck of a long time! Thats true love!!! Congrats!
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Why not enjoy the tattoo for now? Why are so many people on here pessimists? Geeze

Probably because a tattoo is permanent! I have some tattoos but NEVER would I tattoo anyone's name other than my kids' on my body (which I have not done) and if that makes me a pessimist, so be it. I believe it makes me smart about what I put on my body FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    an ex had my name tattoed on his chest, I say that again an EX...
  • camelgirlmn
    Options
    I never have and I never will. Its a taboo thing to do in the tattoo community, kind of a curse of sorts.
    I personally think that's crap but ok. Lol people who believe a tattoo can "curse" a relationship of any kind are ridiculous.

yeah, i personally think people who get their bf or gfs name tattooed on their body are ridiculous. Opinions are like a$sholes huh! Everyone has one.

I agree everyone has one, but dont judge the ones that do. Maybe some people believe in true love? and living happily ever after? Its not a taboo here in our tattoo community and i have a few tatts but i can care less what anyone else thinks, i love my husband, i love my tattoo so regardless of what one considers to be "taboo" doesnt mean that they are better than the ones that do!!!! The way some people speak and text make it sound like we are not acceptable in society, grow up and get a reality check! this is life!!!
    #JUSTSAYIN
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I dont, just my girls names...but my sister does. In talking about it, and the artist, was, of course, trying to persuade her not to, She said "what I dont understand is all this "What if you divorce?" talk. Yes, it can happen, but wasnt the bigger decision to marry him in the first place?"....I kind of had to agree with her on that one. She understood the point, but wanted it anyway. So, they compromised, I suppose. His name is on her shoulder, but he did it in a pretty shade of green vs. black. Just because "green isnt so damn hard to cover and work into something else." :smile:
  • EverlastBoston
    EverlastBoston Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I've seen some bad tattoos people have to live with. I say it's your body and if you love and care for someone enough than do what you feel is right. I personally have my wifes name and we've been together 12 years. She also has mine which is a complete turn-on in my opinion.
  • camelgirlmn
    Options

Why not enjoy the tattoo for now? Why are so many people on here pessimists? Geeze

Probably because a tattoo is permanent! I have some tattoos but NEVER would I tattoo anyone's name other than my kids' on my body (which I have not done) and if that makes me a pessimist, so be it. I believe it makes me smart about what I put on my body FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

Every one is entitled to do what they want, again I quote, some people believe in true love and happy endings!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It's a big no-no to tattoo someone's name on your body. What if you break up/divorce? Then you got some person's name on your body forever and you either have to get it lasered off or you need to get a cover-up. Not worth the pain/money IMO.

^^This! My first marriage was very rocky when my husband volunteered for an out of the country, 9 month long assignment. That was the finish of our marriage, and when he got back, I broke the news to him.

He then showed me his tattoo he got. My name in a giant heart.
    I had jokingly told him when we first married, that if he ever got a tattoo, I would divorce him!

I have no idea what he did with the tattoo. That was almost 30 yrs ago.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea, it's a stupid idea.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Aww, now this is actually very sweet! I have arthritis and can't always wear my ring, and have considered having a ring tattoo'd on my finger for the days my ring doesn't fit. After 15 yrs together, we are solid. If I were a tattoo kinda gal, I would feel very safe having his name permanently on my body!
    Congrats to you on 25 yrs and going strong!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I have my partners initials on my wrist
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have been married 20 years and have had my husbands name on my lower back for 12 years. My husband has a HUGE armband around his bicep with my name. He has had his for around 16 years. I will admit I was a bit shocked way back when how big it was but it sis beautiful art. Besides his other pic tatts he has our kids birthdays and our anniversary incorporated into his body art. he literally has a family history on his body. i joke if he ever is senile he is covered to easily find whom he belongs with.

Having been with the same person 22 years I do not think it is stupid at all. The only way my husband and I will ever part its when one of us is widowed. I do think it is silly to run out and do it in the beginning of a relationship.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Not really answering your question...but contributing to the thread...

NO...NEVER!!

This x's 100000.
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have my husband's name on my ring finger, in place of my wedding ring and he has my name in place of his ring. I always said that getting your SO's name tattooed on you is a stupid idea, and I still feel that way to an extent. If you've been together for a short time, don't do it. If you have a touch and go relationship, don't do it. My husband and I have been together for 19 years... we are soul mates...he's my best friend and I am his. We both know, without a doubt, that neither of us are going anywhere and we will be together until the day one of us dies. :smile:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone think about "if we break up" or " if I need to get it covered up"

Btw, curses aren't real. Especially because of a tattoo. So stupid

Same reason some people have to complain about the OPINIONS of other people.

And personally I'd never dream of it. But if that's your thing, enjoy.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I have my wife's last name on me.