calories and weight loss

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    it seems you are all being very defensive about the word calories because you don't want to know the truth

go on and eat all the crap you want and get sick

that what you want to hear ?

then fine , do what you want, but don't complain that you cant lose any weight after eating all your high sugar foods and sweating it out at the gym

I am being very realistic on this forum but some people don't like the truth, the truth hurts guys

Dude...there are more than a few people who have responded in this thread that you happen to be full of **** and have your science all back asswords that are actually really fit and healthy individuals and many on MFP have benefited from their knowledge. These particular individuals aren't in denial about anything...many have already lost their weight...many use this tool to achieve fitness goals, etc and have achieved very high levels of fitness.

You're just some guy who just joined up and is going off on how calories are a conspiracy or something. I don't think you'd get any arguments in RE to the need for people to eat a more nutritious diet most of the time...more veg...more fruit...lean protein, etc. I think most nominally educated individuals can conclude that proper nutrition is more than just calories...but as a unit of energy, a calorie is a friggin' calorie. Again, proper nutrition and health are completely different matters.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

with proper water consumption also, 3-4 liters a day

enough said,

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I just really need this post to show up for my friends to see it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I lost 65lb in five months or so, kept muscle generally (hard to tell as I was doing 'real work' rather than structured lifting at the time), managed to run and cycle the furthest I ever have in my life (in the same day for both distance PRs too!) and generally be about the healthiest I have ever been.

How did I do it?
    By eating ready meals and adding processed meat slices.

Calories in vs Calories out + moving my body.

By rights, apparently I should have put on not lost 65lb!

Oh - on that day mentioned with the running and cycling - I ate fast food, crisps, chocolate, sweet drinks then a high fat and high sugar meal. By rights, it seems the world likely should have ceased to exist with such a contradiction happening.
    I still weighed less the next day.
    Calories in vs Calories out + moving my body.
  • sullus
    Options

here are the list of foods that you should consume as a healthy human being

lentils, beans, sweet potatoes, potatoes, almonds, nuts, salads, fruits,

you get protein in lentils, nuts, fruits,

eat clean fuel for your body , and weight loss is easy,

with proper water consumption also, 3-4 liters a day

enough said,

So wait .. if I eat a fruit salad, am I getting double benefit?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would like to start this discussion on the topic of the word CALORIES and how it has become one of the most discussed terms of gauging our weight , we use the term calories to discuss our energy needs for our day, but why should we believe this word. i would like to know your thoughts below

I dont understand the question. Do you think there is another term that is more important in terms of weight gain/loss?

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would like to start this discussion on the topic of the word CALORIES and how it has become one of the most discussed terms of gauging our weight , we use the term calories to discuss our energy needs for our day, but why should we believe this word. i would like to know your thoughts below

I dont understand the question. Do you think there is another term that is more important in terms of weight gain/loss?

Ice cream afficionado
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Yes. Bananas.
  • shaleyn
    shaleyn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ice cream afficionado
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Yes. Bananas.

Or twinkies with nuts.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ice cream afficionado
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Yes. Bananas.

Or twinkies with nuts.

Oh yes, That's definitely it. Colon scraping and all, I forgot.
  • llbarker
    llbarker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My opinion, is it's really dependant on what it is you are getting your calories from. You know someone who eats 2000 calories a day of all banana's, but our bodies know how to break down the nutrients in a banana. If you eat the same 2000 calories from Kraft dinner, processed meats and so on, you are going to gain weight because the body doesn't know how to process that so it turns to fat.

ie. a full avocado has over 300 calories and 29 grams of fat. Two hot dog has 180 calories and 12 grams of fat. (btw these were just the 2 things that came to mind, no rhyme or reason for choosing them). You are still better off eating the avocado because it's all natural and your body knows what to do with it where the hotdog will just turn to and be stored as fat.

So although a calorie is a calorie and keeping track of them is important its as equally important to know where those calories are coming from.
  • sullus
    Options
    My opinion, is it's really dependant on what it is you are getting your calories from. You know someone who eats 2000 calories a day of all banana's, but our bodies know how to break down the nutrients in a banana. If you eat the same 2000 calories from Kraft dinner, processed meats and so on, you are going to gain weight because the body doesn't know how to process that so it turns to fat.

Your body can only turn things to fat that it knows how to process. Your body doesn't know how to process the hull of a kernel of corn. Think about it. Argument invalid.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    Lmao at stay away from sugar.. I had a chocolate chip cookie and half of a foot long spicy Italian on Italian herb bread for breakfast and the other half for lunch... what pisses me off is their was a man that came in behind me he was all bult and he ordered the same thing... ahole why is my snadwhich and cookie a treat and his just a freaking snack/meal..whatever.. oh yeah..calories smalories, I dont really track calories anymore i just estimate my limit and try and stay under that amount and exercise daily..... I've been doing that kinda for years crazy thing i was just looking at my pics in my camera and my sd card has pics from 6+ years ago when I first started at 297 and pics along that journey when I was only 5-10 pounds heavier than I am now.. and i look like a completley different person.. i look twice the size at almost the same exact weight...freaking weird...
  • llbarker
    Options

Your body can only turn things to fat that it knows how to process. Your body doesn't know how to process the hull of a kernel of corn. Think about it. Argument invalid.

I think we are kinda saying the same thing just using different words. Your body knows how to process nutrients and proteins...etc. Its the processed stuff it doesn't know how to process and thats what turns into fat.
  • sullus
    Options

I think we are kinda saying the same thing just using different words. Your body knows how to process nutrients and proteins...etc. Its the processed stuff it doesn't know how to process and thats what turns into fat.

No. We don;t agree at all. If it's not processed, it's passed out intact. It will never be fat because it wasn't processed. Your body turns surplus into fat, not some magic list "less natural" foods.
  • llbarker
    Options

No. We don;t agree at all. If it's not processed, it's passed out intact. It will never be fat because it wasn't processed. Your body turns surplus into fat, not some magic list "less natural" foods.

Then we can agree to disagree? I am not sure what you mean it's "passed out intact" or I think I might know but not 100% sure. Either way, do what works for you because what works for one person isn't necessarily the right way to go for another. If it feels good do it. :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    . If you eat the same 2000 calories from Kraft dinner, processed meats and so on, you are going to gain weight because the body doesn't know how to process that so it turns to fat.
    No.
    I did exactly that sort of thing and lost weight.

Calories in vs calories out.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Ice cream afficionado
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

Holy crap I almost spit my drink out when I saw your post "signature" lol. That is incredible!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

If your body cannot process something, then how can it turn into anything? Turning something into something else IS processing it.

Oh, and your body can process it - into energy.
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Why are there 6 pages of people responding to a troll?
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

I think everyone here will agree that eating refined sugar is not as ideal as eating the same amount of CALORIES from fruit. You will feel full longer, you get nutrients, etc.

Where you lost everyone is that you keep saying that you can lose weight by eating more calories as long as the food is "healthy" versus eating half that many CALORIES from "unhealthy" sources. That simply isn't true.
    [/quote]

ok, lets be more clear about this

if you where on a low calorie diet of say 1200 calories to lose weight

if you eat 1200 calories of junk food vs 1200 calories of good healthy foods

what results would you expect from these 2 diets ?

same result in weight loss ?

i don't agree at all

the 1200 calorie diet on the junk food would make you more hungry and it would eventually lead you to eat more than this
    but the 1200 calorie diet on the healthy food would leave you satisfied

this is why they say diets dont work, because you are making the wrong decisions in what you place in your mouth, thats why they dont work, your eating the addictive foods that you just cant say no to , have to break the cycle
    [/quote]

You are confusing two different things.
    In the short term - if you eat 1200 calories of junk food, vs 1200 calories of healthy food you will lose the same amount of weight.
    In the long term, the junk food diet MAY make you revert back to old eating habits or overeating which could lead to weight loss - but that is all hypothetical.