Please stop…I beg of you…

Options

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    <3 substitutes.

If you want to go ahead and eat what you want in moderation go ahead. For people with gluten/wheat issues, etc, substitutes are awesome. Almond pie crust to replace normal, sure. It'll stop my friend ripping a whole in her intestine (it happened the last time she ate pizza). Gram flour pancakes? Yup. Yummy. Chickpea cake? I had this at a restaurant once and it was one of the most amazing restaurant cakes I've ever had. Seriously amazing. Did NOT taste like houmous.

For those of you who can eat some pizza and not spend the evening crying on the toilet, good for you. For those of us who cant, sometimes we like to have our (gluten free) cake and eat it too.
  • gfiorine
    gfiorine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    At the same time, people cook up their spaghetti in 10 minutes, cook some minced meat in some canned tomato sauce for 15 minutes, put some horrific processed cheese on top, then call it Spaghetti Bolognese.
    I have never called anything "Spaghetti Bolognese" nor have I ever heard anyone in my 43 years, until just now, call anything by that name.:tongue:

You must not be very familiar with English cuisine then. It's a staple. I had a roommate from London for a while who made authentic Spaghetti Bolognese all the time, and it did take a ridiculously long time.

The only thing that *this* American knows of British cuisine is an arsenal of bad jokes. :laugh:

Hmmmm... then you don't know British cuisine at all!

And, yes, Spag Bol is a British staple because, erm, well we are in Europe after all! Italy's only an hour away by plane.
    We have spaghetti bolognese here in the US, any Italian restaurant has it. Anyone with Italian heritage knows what it is and can probably make it. It's sinfully delicious.
  • runwmeNC
    runwmeNC Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Someone had to say it

^^ This. Thank you OP. You're doing the world a great service, however, I do think that sometimes hamburger buns can be substituted:

images-2_zps4e9d5d33.jpeg

I agree:

grilledcheeseburgermelt.jpg

Nom Nom nom nom nommmmmmmmm
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    *****y and unnecessary IMO.
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    I like trying the different concoctions and see it as being very creative. its making dieting and healthy alternatives fun. it doesnt mean I wont eat the real thing when I feel like it.
  • hdutoit17
    Options
    I made sushi with cauliflower instead of rice and I really didn't notice much difference:

35an8dc.jpg

First time making sushi. It doesn't look pretty but it was delicious!

:smile:

That actually looks pretty damn good.

It does!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I made sushi with cauliflower instead of rice and I really didn't notice much difference:

35an8dc.jpg

First time making sushi. It doesn't look pretty but it was delicious!

:smile:

That's creative and interesting. It is not, however, "sushi" by any standard. And that's pretty much the theme here. If you can find a way to make something a little better, then feel free, but don't destroy the essence of a particular type of food and then continue to call it by the original name. Random ingredients rolled in nori does not sushi make.
  • uwharriegold
    Options
    I'm with you! I tried the cauliflower pizza bites and loved them. Just found the zucchini bites and plan to give them a try. That doesn't mean I don't ever plan to ever have my favorite dessert, creme brûlée, ever again.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Really? If you don't like it, don't look.

As someone who has a medical problem which forces them to eat low carb; I for one welcome the recipes. Cauliflower pizza crust changed my life, not to mention it gets my kiddo eating more vegetables. I would rather eat a banana than flour and sugar. Pretty sure my body thanks me for it.

Last time I checked vegetables were good for us. So who cares if people want to share new ways of eating them.

Don't like it, look away. But don't bash people for wanting to stay away from certain foods because you don't know their story, if they have a medical condition, or where they are in their journey.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    At the same time, people cook up their spaghetti in 10 minutes, cook some minced meat in some canned tomato sauce for 15 minutes, put some horrific processed cheese on top, then call it Spaghetti Bolognese.
    I have never called anything "Spaghetti Bolognese" nor have I ever heard anyone in my 43 years, until just now, call anything by that name.:tongue:

You must not be very familiar with English cuisine then. It's a staple. I had a roommate from London for a while who made authentic Spaghetti Bolognese all the time, and it did take a ridiculously long time.

The only thing that *this* American knows of British cuisine is an arsenal of bad jokes. :laugh:

Hmmmm... then you don't know British cuisine at all!

And, yes, Spag Bol is a British staple because, erm, well we are in Europe after all! Italy's only an hour away by plane.
    We have spaghetti bolognese here in the US, any Italian restaurant has it. Anyone with Italian heritage knows what it is and can probably make it. It's sinfully delicious.

This is true. Most Americans know the difference between meat sauce, marinara, and bolognese.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Really? If you don't like it, don't look.

As someone who has a medical problem which forces them to eat low carb; I for one welcome the recipes. Cauliflower pizza crust changed my life, not to mention it gets my kiddo eating more vegetables. I would rather eat a banana than flour and sugar. Pretty sure my body thanks me for it.

Last time I checked vegetables were good for us. So who cares if people want to share new ways of eating them.

Don't like it, look away. But don't bash people for wanting to stay away from certain foods because you don't know their story, if they have a medical condition, or where they are in their journey.

+2
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I Agree! I have no roblem with trying to make recipes healthier - but then don't call it Pizza if the crust is cauliflower, etc. I hated the banana oatmeal "cookies" too!

Tomorrow night I'm planning some real honest-to-goodness hot wings from my favorite local pizza place!
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Some people are getting their panties all in a twist over NOTHING. LOL, the OP was not saying that making recipes with different/alternative ingredients is in any way bad, but CALLING THEM THINGS THEY AREN'T is silly.

Black bean brownies? Not brownies... Bean bars.
    Cauliflower pizza? Not pizza pie... cauliflower pie.

Some things are subjective though... what is the definition of a pancake? As long as you aren't calling them 'banana and oatmeal buttermilk pancakes' maybe they ARE pancakes. What's the definition of a cookie? According to Webster's dictionary:

plural cook·ies
    Definition of COOKIE
    1: a small flat or slightly raised cake
    2a : an attractive woman <a buxom French cookie who haunts the … colony's one night spot — Newsweek> b : person, guy <a tough cookie>
    3cookie : a small file or part of a file stored on a World Wide Web user's computer, created and subsequently read by a Web site server, and containing personal information (as a user identification code, customized preferences, or a record of pages visited)

Regardless of the semantics, nobody is saying these creative recipes aren't great for the people who need them for dietary reasons, tasty in some cases, or unwelcome on the forums. Their NOMENCLATURE however, is.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    Someone had to say it

^^ This. Thank you OP. You're doing the world a great service, however, I do think that sometimes hamburger buns can be substituted:

Dear GOD that looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Someone had to say it

Dear GOD that looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except that Paula Dean is the first one I saw come up with this concoction...and she now has been diagnosed with diabetes and made a lot of changes to the way that she eats...
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Someone had to say it

OH. MY. GOD. I must make this for dinner. TONIGHT. *drools*

Why do I think it looks revolting? Seriously, glazed doughnuts in place of a hamburger bun??

I'm sure my stomach would be insanely ticked off at me if I tried to eat that, however, that wouldn't stop me from trying it. Bagels might be a good substitution for the donut too....man, I'm HUNGRY.

slap some peanut butter on top of that beast.
  • grillingirl
    grillingirl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Lol...lol!
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love my recipes. If you don't plan on making them, then don't read the posts :) Very simple. Let's try to be positive on MFP instead of so dang negative all the time.
  • Smallbluepebble
    Smallbluepebble Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Someone had to say it

I agree:

grilledcheeseburgermelt.jpg

YUMMMY - I want both of these now!!

This is my son's idea of a balanced diet - one for each hand! :laugh:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I love my recipes. If you don't plan on making them, then don't read the posts :) Very simple. Let's try to be positive on MFP instead of so dang negative all the time.

No. Take your own advice and don't post in a thread like this if you disagree.