Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Anyone have a good alternative for greek yogurt? I love it and it's the one thing that really keeps me from going vegan...

Just go vegan and still eat it. No need to give ur self. Title to define yourself anyway ;)

Then she wouldn't be vegan she'd be vegetarian......vegan isn't really a title it's a life style.

Yep. But many are talking about the diet specific portion. Most people (at the beginning of vegetarianism) start on a hybrid diet anyway.

Good to point out though. Many don't realize it's a lifestyle and not a diet. I believe in it, just don't follow it yet.
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot say coconut milk is healthier than dairy milk. I like both actually. I am not a vegan, but I have adopted a veggie diet a few times in my life. Mostly for ethical reasons. Now, I buy my meat, cheese, eggs all local. If one researches the mega industry standard practices, you would turn your head away in shock. But back on the topic of milk...the question I would pose is, would you eat ice cream or yogurt made with human breast milk? Most would say that is gross. But it is the milk from our own species. For some reason we have craved and adapted to milk from another species. It is a bit odd that we are the only mammal on the planet that weans off our own mother's milk and then drink it throughout life from other mammals. We are the only mammal that drinks milk beyond infancy and "toddler" stage.
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    Man, I posted an honest response to something in here a few minutes ago not reading where we ended up. This thing got out of hand quickly! Oh well.

Ashlea, mad props on agnosticism! Critical thinkers are a win in my book. :) (There, that's my off topic contribution)
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot say coconut milk is healthier than dairy milk. I like both actually. I am not a vegan, but I have adopted a veggie diet a few times in my life. Mostly for ethical reasons. Now, I buy my meat, cheese, eggs all local. If one researches the mega industry standard practices, you would turn your head away in shock. But back on the topic of milk...the question I would pose is, would you eat ice cream or yogurt made with human breast milk? Most would say that is gross. But it is the milk from our own species. For some reason we have craved and adapted to milk from another species. It is a bit odd that we are the only mammal on the planet that weans off our own mother's milk and then drink it throughout life from other mammals. We are the only mammal that drinks milk beyond infancy and "toddler" stage.

As I always say, cow milk for baby cows, human milk for baby humans.
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I don't drink any cows milk, it makes me sick (physically) but I love the taste so it sucks :'( Almond milk for me.
  • tina711x
    Options
    i dont get it .. whats your open line... are you hitting on me again richard.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any cows milk, it makes me sick (physically) but I love the taste so it sucks :'( Almond milk for me.

I love yam & adley soy milk, found it here in TW, back home I usually have organic soy milk (sweetened with apple juice)
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    oh and thats because animals are here for us to enjoy.. as humans, we are higher than animals, they are here for us; so are plants,

This would assert that they were put here by someone or something and not a result of ions of cosmic mayhem that lead to our current ecological structure. To claim something is here for you illustrates personal opinion and not scientific fact. No? We have higher cognitive functions than many mammals in some regards, but our species also creates wars, financial systems, and the only species that creates landfill wastes. All other mammals don't do this because they are able to strive off the natural world. Something, we no longer can do because how we have adapted. Had we not been able to structure habitats in the way we do, humans would have vanished long ago.
  • tina711x
    Options
    thats exactly why there here.. not just to eat but for companions..and your the one that sounds dumb if you dont think your more complex and emotional than a snail or a tree.
  • tina711x
    Options
    think we are put here by something higher same reason were here is why people want to have children
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    thats exactly why there here.. not just to eat but for companions..and your the one that sounds dumb if you dont think your more complex and emotional than a snail or a tree.

I am assuming you are referring to my post. I never said you were dumb for thinking what you think. Only brought up a valid question. Name calling means you are on defense. :)

I never said I was not more complex than a snail or a tree. I understand the diversity of nature. Some beings are more complex and stronger than others. I just don't assert that they (being plants and animals) were "put here" but something...oh I dunno...God (since I am gathering that is what you think) since there is is zero proof of this and it is only an assertion to support ones personal opinions.
  • tina711x
    Options
    just like how you give your children things to survive and be happy.. there you go. thats why we have things to survive. everything on earth is for our enjoyment and to thrive. animals, plants, oceans, mountains, the sky
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    think we are put here by something higher same reason were here is why people want to have children

The reason people want to have children is for species survival. The same reasons other animals mate. We create emotional attachments and social networks because it helps our species thrive and survive. We have cultural aspects in our lives that have covered up many of our human impulses. These impulses are for survival.
  • tina711x
    Options
    yeah but some people dont have kids.. but they end up taking care of there parents, or the neices and nephews, husband/ wife. its out of something to take care of and love. and humans (most of them) have sex out of being in love, not just to be programmed to create more like animals are.
  • tina711x
    Options
    in example.. a weird one.. i had guinea pigs as a kid. i had a boy, and my sister had a girl. we didnt know this and kept them in the same cage. we ended up with more, and more. and kept seperated them in different cages but they just kept having babies with whoever was in their cage. well, we ended up with 20 guinea pigs and had to give them away to kids at school. at school, if you look at the kids with their moms n dads and sisters and brothers getting picked up from school going home happy to have their new pet, its a very different kind of family than the family of guinea pigs.
  • tina711x
    Options
    and richard try and control your feelings of passion for me.. just because im not giving you enough attention you get all huffy.
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    yeah but some people dont have kids.. but they end up taking care of there parents, or the neices and nephews, husband/ wife. its out of something to take care of and love. and humans (most of them) have sex out of being in love, not just to be programmed to create more like animals are.

This is true. Although we are not the only mammal that enjoys sex strictly for procreation and enjoyment. The attraction of mates and the hormones our brain secretes as a result cause "feelings" attachment, love, joy, attraction. This is all part of creating and maintaining a cohesive family. Dolphins behave similarly as well as many primates. All the feelings we express come from the primitive part of the brain. The part that is charge are basic survival needs and involuntary muscle control. Unfortunately, a side effect of feeling "feelings" and emotions, also covers up the true nature of why we have them in the first place.
  • tina711x
    Options
    well yeah there are hormones.. like when a woman has a baby oxytocin is released and the nurse puts the baby on your chest to bond. but it turns into a life long bond. theres people that get completely fed up with their kids especially in teenage years ( i know i was pretty bad) but parents always love their children. most animals let there young go on there own after their at the point of maturity for survival and thats it. when a dog has puppies, you give them away when their old enough. when there young or just born, the mom bites at you when you try to pick them up. but once there a certain age where there not helpless anymore they dont care. humans - moms tell there grown kids who to marry sometimes! and want to be involved with grand babies..
  • tina711x
    Options
    there are hormones and things goin on in your body that make you feel a certain way - adrenaline (when you get worked up and hyper), dopamine (when your relaxed after eating a full meal) but all feelings dont just come from hormones, like if you still care about someone even if they make you mad and arent beneficial to you at the moment - thats not for survival. also the ability of knowing right from wrong and doing the right thing even if it doesnt benefit you
  • ChrisC_77
    Options
    well yeah there are hormones.. like when a woman has a baby oxytocin is released and the nurse puts the baby on your chest to bond. but it turns into a life long bond. theres people that get completely fed up with their kids especially in teenage years ( i know i was pretty bad) but parents always love their children. most animals let there young go on there own after their at the point of maturity for survival and thats it. when a dog has puppies, you give them away when their old enough. when there young or just born, the mom bites at you when you try to pick them up. but once there a certain age where there not helpless anymore they dont care. humans - moms tell there grown kids who to marry sometimes! and want to be involved with grand babies..

I want to address the dog comment. Here is the more accurate answer. When a dog has puppies, we as humans (if the dog is in your care) take the puppies from their mother and give them away. Do they care or not care, I don't know. They only speak to us in their language which we don't always understand. Maybe some dog moms might have trouble sleeping or eating for some time. But part of their survival methods might be to send off their young to fend in the world at an early age. This might help create a better world experience for them. This is supposition on my part, I really don't know. When a female cow has a calf on a farm, it is immediately taken away 100% against the mother cows wishes. (If it is a dairy farm) Very selfish of us as a species to do. We do things only with us in mind.
This discussion has been closed.