Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• naschulze
    Options
    Just a little Nomenclature issue:

Vegetarian is the diet

Vegan is the lifestyle.

I get tweaked at improper usage. Most people here talk about "going vegan", but the vast majority are just adopting a vegetarian diet. "Going Vegan" means .. no leather, wool, most cosmetics, wine, etc. Vegan is FAR more than what you eat.

I did say I was only eating vegan. Is there another way to say that to encompass eggs and dairy?
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The unhealthiest I was ever in my life was while I was eating meat when I was younger. This is not primarily because of the meat, though. This is because while I was having meat (and it wasn't "good" meat, mind you, it was from fast food places, breaded, fried, etc.), my diet completely lacked vegetables (with the exception of corn from the can and the tomato and lettuce one finds on burgers), beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, healthy grains, etc. I had fruit to the extent of bananas and apples. But I was young and one thing I thought "I knew for sure" was that I couldn't ever be vegetarian again because it made me "so sick." I'm older now with a lot more nutrition knowledge under my belt, as well as experience, and I can say with affirmation that the vegetarian diet wasn't what was making me sick, nor was the meat the root of the problem when I was eating meat. People like to fixate on whether or not you're eating meat and give the issue far more regard than it's worth (in my experience, a lot of the meat eaters feel defensive, as though they have to justify their support of animal slaughter and many of the vegetarians also feel defensive, constantly being grilled about where they are getting their protein, B12, calcium, iron, etc.). The root issue is your overall diet and if you're doing what works for you. And if what works for you happens to include a broad, colorful array of natural foods – good for you. Keep doing it. But the vegetarian and vegan lifestyle, when executed properly just like any other diet needs to be, is beautiful. I have never had so many people stop me and comment on my "glow" since going vegan, and I was eating close to the same amount of veggies and everything else during the most recent meat-eating phase I had. There IS something special to it, something inspirational. If you don't agree, leave it alone! And even if you don't agree with it, you and the rest of the world and your descendents will still receive the ecological benefits of the diet. The world needs more love and less hatred. Period.
  • naschulze
    Options
    I read this article the other day and its great to see that vegan eating is way more than just weight loss. These are real people that experienced a lot of unexpected health benefits, no scientific analysis or studies in this article, just regular people and real results.

I am very supportive of vegetarianism and veganism, however, I have a real problem with the statement above.

Remember, a claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    In my opinion, it is better to cite the findings from peer-reviewed academic literature rather than an article that is sympathetic to one's own views and opinions by selective reporting of anecdotes.
    kind regards,

Ben

I said that because this is just a general discussion. If you post something with 'evidence' everyone says it's biased. If you post a scientific article without evidence, then everyone says its wrong. This was just an interesting article with general statements from people that had good results from eating vegan. Try not to read too much into it.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Vegetarian is the diet

Vegan is the lifestyle.

I get tweaked at improper usage. Most people here talk about "going vegan", but the vast majority are just adopting a vegetarian diet. "Going Vegan" means .. no leather, wool, most cosmetics, wine, etc. Vegan is FAR more than what you eat.

I did say I was only eating vegan. Is there another way to say that to encompass eggs and dairy?

If you are only eating vegan you are following the vegan diet... there is a lot more to just a vegan diet.

But for the poster who put "Vegetarian is the diet and vegan is the lifestyle" That is not totally correct. A vegan diet includes nothing that has any form of animal products in it (including milk, eggs, cheese, some sauces, Jello, etc). A vegetarian diet can include those things as there for a few forms of a vegetarian diet. I am a vegetarian, however I eat eggs and dairy. I know a vegetarian who will eat fish but nothing else. I know a vegetarian who will not eat meat, fish, dairy, eggs, cheese, etc but will consume prepare products that may contain animal byproducts... she still eats Jello (which does contain animal byproducts), she will use cream sauces that are jarred, etc.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread! Anyone have a good alternative for greek yogurt? I love it and it's the one thing that really keeps me from going vegan...

So Delicious makes a greek yogurt and its really good. I eat their regular yogurt all the time and it has a good amount of calcium plus most of the same active cultures that dairy yogurt has. I've found it at whole foods but they have a store finder on their website. The ice cream is great as well :)
    http://www.sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products
    why eat fake dairy products?

I wouldn't call them 'fake' as it's made from coconut milk which isn't a fake ingredient, its just better for you than dairy and tastes the same. Isn't that the point of dieting? Substituting things you like to eat with healthier versions? In my opinion a vegan diet is just one step up from that as it cuts out the ingredients that are considered ok calorie-wise but bad for you in the long run.

How does this yogurt compare for protein content. I would only eat it for the purpose of upping my protein.
  • zilea
    Options
    and its not a "theory" its scientific fact, im a nurse. theres people on here that really want to loose weight and think that becomming a vegetarian will make them loose weight faster -not true. and also if your not extremely knowledgable about what you are eating when cutting out large groups of food you can become malnourished/anemic.

Hey, for what it's worth, I've gained a little weight being vegan – that's why I'm here! I haven't gained much weight, just 10 pounds or so, but it's a gain. And I haven't been eating vegan "junk food." I've gained weight because I've added in so many new healthy oils and fats to my diet (flax oil, coconut oil, olives, nuts, avocados, etc.), and probably went just a little overboard with them after finding out how good they were for me. You're right about there being people who become vegetarian or vegan to lose weight, but the kind of person who does that also tries other crazy diets to lose weight, like drinking just lemon juice and pepper for a week or cutting out all fruit, and the link isn't between those people and vegetarianism, the link is between those people and nutrient-deficient diets.
  • zilea
    Options

Vegetarian is the diet

Vegan is the lifestyle.

If you are only eating vegan you are following the vegan diet... there is a lot more to just a vegan diet.

But for the poster who put "Vegetarian is the diet and vegan is the lifestyle" That is not totally correct. A vegan diet includes nothing that has any form of animal products in it (including milk, eggs, cheese, some sauces, Jello, etc). A vegetarian diet can include those things as there for a few forms of a vegetarian diet. I am a vegetarian, however I eat eggs and dairy. I know a vegetarian who will eat fish but nothing else. I know a vegetarian who will not eat meat, fish, dairy, eggs, cheese, etc but will consume prepare products that may contain animal byproducts... she still eats Jello (which does contain animal byproducts), she will use cream sauces that are jarred, etc.

A "vegetarian" who eats fish is not a vegetarian. That is a pescatarian.
  • naschulze
    Options
    Red meats

It's important to increase your iron intake during your period to make up for what's lost each month. "A diet high in iron helps avoid anemia and symptoms that can go along with it," said Dr. Sharon R. Thompson of Central Phoenix Obstetrics and Gynecology. "Women who eat red meat will be able to get sufficient iron from food."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/549S.full.pdf

I'm a woman and get plenty of iron. Iron is not something that is only found from one source.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Soyacts like estrogen - soy foods = tofu, tempeh, edamame, miso, many veggie burgers, and other products made with soy flour contain isoflavones, which are chemically similar to estrogens. Two major types, genestein and daidzen, can act like estrogen in the body.

Estrogen = linked to hormonally-sensitive cancers in women, such as breast and endometrial cancer. Breast cells contain estrogen receptors, and when the "key" (estrogen) joins with the "lock" (the estrogen receptor), a series of signals are sent that are able to turn on estrogen-receptor (ER) positive breast tumor growth.

Once again, not talking to those who are already vegan becuase im sure you already know this.. this is for innocent people (mostly women who tend to be more diet conscious) thinking of becomming vegan/vegetarian to shed a few pounds.. know what your getting yourself into!

This makes me laugh everytime people trying to demonize soy. Estrogen, animal estrogen, which is more closely related to.the estrogen we humans make is in animal foods. Wouldn't that be more likely to cause issues than plant?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Red meats

It's important to increase your iron intake during your period to make up for what's lost each month. "A diet high in iron helps avoid anemia and symptoms that can go along with it," said Dr. Sharon R. Thompson of Central Phoenix Obstetrics and Gynecology. "Women who eat red meat will be able to get sufficient iron from food."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/549S.full.pdf

That doesn't mean women need to eat meat for iron. I was never a big meat eater but my doctors always thought I had excellent iron levels. I always ate lots of beans which are an excellent source of iron.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Vegetarian is the diet

Vegan is the lifestyle.

Yes, but being a pescatarian is a form of vegetarianism. Same as lacto-ovo, etc.
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The thread is about the health benefits of veganism. We're saying that a vegan diet is not necessarily healthy, and that not everyone can be healthy on an ideal vegan diet. That hardly meets the definition of "talking crap." Unless, of course, YOU feel threatened by anything less than fawning adoration . . .

This might blow your mind but vegans generally know that avvegan diet isnt necessary healthly. Most of us read labels and are well aware how much junk food is actually vegan k?

If they know that, then why did they start a threat about how healthy being vegan is? Furthermore, I fail to see the difference between someone who tried to be vegetarian and got sick commenting on a thread like this, and someone who tried going low carb with disastrous results mentioning their experience on a thread about the health benefits of going low carb.

I don't know because maybe they wanted to see if anyone else had any benefits. You can go back and see my post and you'll see I did have some benefits but warn its not a cureall. Honestly i think you just came on this thread to troll

I had some "benefits". My hair started falling out, my complexion took on a greyish cast, dark circles settled in around my eyes and I was both tired and depressed. There was also this really awesome brain fog that settled in at about year three, I would forget things and space out. I also started feeling tingling in my limbs. I will admit the first two years of being vegan were pretty awesome, these symptoms started around year 3.

My vegan "friends" just insisted I was doing it wrong. I was supplementing and choking down nutritional yeast to no avail. I remember preparing food for my dog (raw meat - sorry, dogs eat meat and I wasn't going to force her to be vegan too - thats cruel) and salivating over the smell of it. When I told my "friends" they insisted that veganism was the only super healthy way to be and I was obviously not doing something right. Looking back at pictures, I am pretty shocked, I was obviously not well.

I ended it. I bought some ground lamb (grass fed/hormone free) and made myself a burger. I ate it and promptly got sick. I tried again a few days later with a smaller portion until I was able to stand it. Slowly I started feeling better and my symptoms abated. I am still mostly vegetarian, most of my protein comes from eggs/milk, but I do eat small portions of fish, poultry, and game. I do believe that meat should be raised humanely, but I do eat meat.

I know there are people who exist happily for decades on a vegan diet, but everybody is different and for SOME people a vegan diet may not be sustainable in the long term.

I have read somewhere that relying too heavily on nutritional yeast can be bad for you. I don't know of any studies regarding this though. Has anyone else heard about this?
  • zilea
    Options

Vegetarian is the diet

Vegan is the lifestyle.

Yes, but being a pescatarian is a form of vegetarianism. Same as lacto-ovo, etc.

Call it semantics, but when you eat the actual flesh of an animal, I don't think that constitutes being even a form of vegetarian.

From Wikipedia "Pescetarians are sometimes described as vegetarian or pesco-vegetarian, and often people unfamiliar with vegetarianism believe the pescetarian diet to be vegetarian. In common with vegetarians, pescetarians often eat eggs and dairy products, in addition to fruits, vegetables and grains. The Vegetarian Society, which initiated popular use of the term vegetarian as early as 1847, does not consider pescetarianism a vegetarian diet."
  • naschulze
    Options
    I understand eating vegan isn't a miracle diet for everyone, and it is possibly how it is done since everyone interprets things their own way. I personally have been having trouble losing weight for years, eating healthy but including dairy and meat. I would exercise 3+ times a week, eat 300 calorie meals 4 times a day and didn't see much results. It was a hard lifestyle for me to sustain so I would give up after a month or 2. Eating vegan, I eat whatever I want, monitor my intake of the vitamins, minerals etc that I need and make sure I have enough, I don't work out at all (yet) and I'm losing 2 pounds a week on average. I've lost a bunch in my midsection which has always been a problem area for me. I don't know yet if this diet will be sustainable in the long run because I just started, but I feel great and my bf feels great. After years of struggle I'm just glad I found something that works for me. If it doesn't work for you I'm not judging, do what you feel you need to to stay healthy.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    I understand eating vegan isn't a miracle diet for everyone, and it is possibly how it is done since everyone interprets things their own way. I personally have been having trouble losing weight for years, eating healthy but including dairy and meat. I would exercise 3+ times a week, eat 300 calorie meals 4 times a day and didn't see much results. It was a hard lifestyle for me to sustain so I would give up after a month or 2. Eating vegan, I eat whatever I want, monitor my intake of the vitamins, minerals etc that I need and make sure I have enough, I don't work out at all (yet) and I'm losing 2 pounds a week on average. I've lost a bunch in my midsection which has always been a problem area for me. I don't know yet if this diet will be sustainable in the long run because I just started, but I feel great and my bf feels great. After years of struggle I'm just glad I found something that works for me. If it doesn't work for you I'm not judging, do what you feel you need to to stay healthy.

You have a found something that makes YOU feel better and helps you... which is amazing.

People need to stop being so closed minded thinking a vegan diet is not healthy... or lacks vital nutrients. A vegan diet, a vegetarian diet, a diet that includes meat are all healthy diets and all can be unhealthy diets. One is not better than the other umless it helps you personally more.
  • Leigharev
    Leigharev Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Discussion Group: Happy Herbivores link.
  • naschulze
    Options

You have a found something that makes YOU feel better and helps you... which is amazing.

People need to stop being so closed minded thinking a vegan diet is not healthy... or lacks vital nutrients. A vegan diet, a vegetarian diet, a diet that includes meat are all healthy diets and all can be unhealthy diets. One is not better than the other umless it helps you personally more.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there is a way to sabotage or thrive on every diet imaginable, but I like this one because when I want something like a chocolate bar or something else that's really unhealthy, I don't think "no, I shouldn't have that" I think "no, I can't have that." Its helpful to those (like me) who find themselves sabotaging their diets with extra cheese or handfuls of m&ms. I like it for other reasons as well as I've probably mentioned somewhere, but this is a big problem for me that is now fixed. I don't know what unhealthy vegans eat but I've been finding plenty of healthy snacks that taste great.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

Can you at least explain what this link is supposed to prove?
  • tina711x
    Options
    i think you know..
This discussion has been closed.