Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options

This doesn't prove soy causes cancer. In fact, here is a quote directly from your link: "Soy does have estrogens, but I believe a moderate amount of soy in the diet is still a good idea for most people."

Also: "There is the suggestion that a diet with moderate to high levels of phytoestrogens may decrease risk of cardiovascular disease and prevent osteoporosis. Some population studies also suggest that high phytoestrogen intake might have a preventive effect on breast and endometrial cancers in women, and on prostate cancer in men. The Asian diet is high in soy and this is one of the theories as to why the Asian population has low rates of breast, endometrial, and prostate cancer."

You really shouldn't tell people that something causes cancer when you can't site a genuine scientific study with data that shows it.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

Thanks, but I did say "credible", and that would mean, Nature, Science, or the New England Medical Journal or publications of that calibre.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Being vegan is such a healthier life style - for the animals and for the people. People who try and justify meat eating are just so ignorant. Anyway, congratulations on the change. :smooched:

Agreed, but...

I still feed meat to my cats though! I feel it would be wrong to force my diet lifestyle on them... lol
  • tina711x
    Options
    im addressing a specific group of women who dont know anything about veganism and want to loose weight.. theres so many things wrong with veganism especially for a woman its not even funny. aside from the estrogen LINKED with cancer, women need IRON especially while on/right before menstration otherwise you can become anemic.. hmm whats in blood? and i'm not adressing a bunch of grown men who are already vegan. The only reason im on here is to help WOMEN understand veganism because so many of them dont know what it even is and are trying to loose weight and think this is a quick fix.. -especially by the brainwashing title "benefits of eating vegan" - and to impress guess who? ..men. guess who im being attacked by? a man. funny. so just pretend like im not here and go be a good boy and play with your little vegan friends. the only people im going to respond to are women who seriously want questions answered by someone who is Not vegan with a biased opinion towards veganism..
  • benol1
    Options
    Being vegan is such a healthier life style - for the animals and for the people. People who try and justify meat eating are just so ignorant. Anyway, congratulations on the change. :smooched:

I think that's a bit harsh. I wouldn't call meat-eaters "ignorant". There are some valid health reasons why some people may need to eat meat.
    I've met many a vegetarian or vegan who were not only ignorant and intolerant, had some serious personality issues or the obsession with diet and other people's diet was masking an eating disorder or mental illness.

While there is no guarantee that being vegan or vegetarian will mean greater health, there is evidence that many vegetarians and vegans enjoy a better standard of health and are relatively free from some chronic conditons inc. type-II diabetes and heart disease. (Kate A Marsh, Elizabeth A Munn and Surinder K Baines, 2013, Protein and vegetarian diets, Medical Journal of Australia Suppliment).
    kind regards,

Ben
  • tina711x
    Options
    yep, well cant photo copy a med book. obviously im in the wrong place because your all already to stuck in your ways and defensive about it.. oh well i tried. i think ben is the only normal/descent person here.. last thing ill say... your cat and dog need meat to survive. there mammals. your a mammal. nuff said.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options

I think that's a bit harsh. I wouldn't call meat-eaters "ignorant". There are some valid health reasons why some people may need to eat meat.
    I've met many a vegetarian or vegan who were not only ignorant and intolerant, had some serious personality issues or the obsession with diet and other people's diet was masking an eating disorder or mental illness.

While there is no guarantee that being vegan or vegetarian will mean greater health, there is evidence that many vegetarians and vegans enjoy a better standard of health and are relatively free from some chronic conditons inc. type-II diabetes and heart disease. (Kate A Marsh, Elizabeth A Munn and Surinder K Baines, 2013, Protein and vegetarian diets, Medical Journal of Australia Suppliment).
    kind regards,

Ben

Thanks Ben. I had such a huge issue with how the previous poster stated that, but you summed up my feelings perfectly.

On another note, I tried going vegan but it just didn't work for me. Sure I lost weight, but I wasn't at all happy and I'd rather be happy losing weight than miserable trudging through it. I already have to trudge through exercise :D

OP: Glad you've found something that works for you! I will say it was fun coming up with recipes eating vegan, I tried things I may not have. Good luck in the future!
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    im addressing a specific group of women who dont know anything about veganism and want to loose weight.. theres so many things wrong with veganism especially for a woman its not even funny. aside from the estrogen LINKED with cancer, women need IRON especially while on/right before menstration otherwise you can become anemic.. hmm whats in blood? and i'm not adressing a bunch of grown men who are already vegan. The only reason im on here is to help WOMEN understand veganism because so many of them dont know what it even is and are trying to loose weight and think this is a quick fix.. -especially by the brainwashing title "benefits of eating vegan" - and to impress guess who? ..men. guess who im being attacked by? a man. funny. so just pretend like im not here and go be a good boy and play with your little vegan friends. the only people im going to respond to are women who seriously want questions answered by someone who is Not vegan with a biased opinion towards veganism..

The hate for men is strong in this one.

For the record - 7 out of 10 of the top "highest in Iron" foods are vegan, and 1 is vegetarian - only 3 contain animal products.

Also meat has been LINKED with cancer. Here- from the National Cancer Institute (they can be bought too, so looks like the beef council's cheque bounced). http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cooked-meats
    Chemicals in Meat Cooked at High Temperatures and Cancer Risk

Have we not killed all your arguments yet? throw a few more my way, I've got about 10 mins to kill...
  • jjrichard83
    Options

kind regards,

Ben

Thanks Ben. I had such a huge issue with how the previous poster stated that, but you summed up my feelings perfectly.

On another note, I tried going vegan but it just didn't work for me. Sure I lost weight, but I wasn't at all happy and I'd rather be happy losing weight than miserable trudging through it. I already have to trudge through exercise :D

OP: Glad you've found something that works for you! I will say it was fun coming up with recipes eating vegan, I tried things I may not have. Good luck in the future!

If it was hard, do what I did - remove processed foods, and eat the rest in moderation (extremely low moderation) except the vegan foods lol. After about a week it got easier. It seems every day after it gets easier and your body (and taste buds) start to respond better to that diet. Honestly I never had one that I know of, but going off processed crap feels how I would think going off an addiction would feel...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

For the record - 7 out of 10 of the top "highest in Iron" foods are vegan, and 1 is vegetarian - only 3 contain animal products.

Also meat has been LINKED with cancer. Here- from the National Cancer Institute (they can be bought too, so looks like the beef council's cheque bounced). http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/cooked-meats

Have we not killed all your arguments yet? throw a few more my way, I've got about 10 mins to kill...

You need to remind some of these people that a lot of the plant forms of nutrients are not bioavailable unless processed in certain ways. They'll need a few pointers how to improve the absorption rate especially the new vegans.
  • tina711x
    Options
    Red meats

It's important to increase your iron intake during your period to make up for what's lost each month. "A diet high in iron helps avoid anemia and symptoms that can go along with it," said Dr. Sharon R. Thompson of Central Phoenix Obstetrics and Gynecology. "Women who eat red meat will be able to get sufficient iron from food."

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/549S.full.pdf
  • jjrichard83
    Options

You need to remind some of these people that a lot of the plant forms of nutrients are not bioavailable unless processed in certain ways. They'll need a few pointers how to improve the absorption rate especially the new vegans.
    Yep!
    Flax is a big one.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Red meats

It's important to increase your iron intake during your period to make up for what's lost each month. "A diet high in iron helps avoid anemia and symptoms that can go along with it," said Dr. Sharon R. Thompson of Central Phoenix Obstetrics and Gynecology. "Women who eat red meat will be able to get sufficient iron from food."

Plus heme iron is readily available for absorption and that increase absorption means bacteria has less of a chance to high jack it for its own metabolic processes
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Yep!
    Flax is a big one.

Well flax is good although I have read some thing that say in pregnancy fish oil is better, but I'm a new vegan how do I get the iron from spinach, broccoli, and kale?
    Is B12 available to me without ruminate digestion along the ileus?

Those kind of things.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Red meats

Once again... you seem to be playing with us b/c no one can be that dense! Do you really just don't get it?

A woman having a cold pint of Guinness is also great for iron. In fact, Dr.'s in Irland tell pregnant women to have a pint for iron too.
    I just provided you a list of things with the highest iron. Here is another one. This time from WEBMD (in no particular order) Notice the large amount of vegetarian options.

Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes
    And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.

FYI TINA - the point I am trying to make is the world is much bigger than your little bubble. You seem to be looking for research that confirms your short-minded ideas instead of expanding your search. Iron isn't the major problem you seem to think it is for vegans.
  • jjrichard83
    Options

Yep!
    Flax is a big one.

Well flax is good although I have read some thing that say in pregnancy fish oil is better, but I'm a new vegan how do I get the iron from spinach, broccoli, and kale?
    Is B12 available to me without ruminate digestion along the ileus?

Those kind of things.

Honestly I take a multi & other supplements as well... Not b/c of my diet (I believe many meat eaters should be taking some supplements too). The best way to absorb the nutrients in those green veggies is to eat them raw or throw them in the blender. If you are going to cook them, you'll lose some nutrients, but you can save the water for your veggie shakes too if you'd like.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Lay the facts out. During holidays who are the ones who are tired and sleepy after dinner? Who is more likely to get sick b/c of low immune system?

To my experience it hasn't been my veggie eating friends.

And hardly anyone eats the accepted wink and nod recommended serving of meat (the size of your palm). When I ate meat, it took up half or more of my extra large dinner plate
  • benol1
    Options

kind regards,

Ben

Hi ajourney2beme,

Thank you for your kind words. I completely understand where you are coming from. For some people a vegan or vegetarian diet may not be appropriate and I respect that. While I prefer to eat vegan - its not always possible because I respect the choice my wife and children who like to eat meat, fish, chicken and diary from time to time. I also don't like to impose my dietary choice on friends and family when I go to visit. Mental qualities such as gratitude and humility are more important than rigid adherence to a diet or dietary ideology. And yes, making oneself miserable in order to lose weight or gain fitness seems to be extremely counter-productive to say the least.
    kind regards,

Ben
This discussion has been closed.