Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• normars1
    normars1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Allie_rat! You are correct in using the google search engine or youtube to find information is great, and that is my typical resource, however I was just wondering what other have had as suggetions. I really love portobello mushroom, and that will definitely be one of my replacement for meat. Thanks!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose weight going vegan, but didn't gain either. However, my belly is far less bloated. I was always bloated before I was vegan, probably due to dairy since I"m lactose intolerant. It was then I also realized dairy was causing my allergies so I don't have to take allegra anymore.

I've noticed clearer skin. I rarely get acne.

However don't expect veganism to be a cure-all. I eat a pretty whole foods vegan diet so probably 80% whole foods and the diet has done nothing for my hypertension and psoriasis. You can win them all I suppose.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Not to rain on your parade, but there are also plenty of people who report negative health effects from being a vegan, even doing everything correctly.

Not to mention that oreos, potato chips, french fries, and soda are all vegan.

Most think they are doing it correctly. Big difference.

Don't know what point as trying to be made with the junk food. Most vegans (usually) give up processed foods too.
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Awesome thread! Anyone have a good alternative for greek yogurt? I love it and it's the one thing that really keeps me from going vegan...

Just go vegan and still eat it. No need to give ur self. Title to define yourself anyway ;)
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    People who have acne are generally advised to stop drinking milk, it's breeds acne, so that's why your skin is great now, not the whole vegan lifestyle.
    agreed.

Just like meat eaters, vegans are not immune to false information bias.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    People who have acne are generally advised to stop drinking milk, it's breeds acne, so that's why your skin is great now, not the whole vegan lifestyle.
    agreed.

Just like meat eaters, vegans are not immune to false information bias.

Indeed.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...I also was diagnosed with iBS as a young adult, and have had problems with it my entire adult life. But once I changed my diet all my IBS symptoms disappeared within about 2 weeks, and it has not given me a problem since...

I eat vegan-style most of the time, although I do consume chicken or fish a few times a week. I found that my decades of IBS misery ended after my doctor suggested I eliminate red meat, eggs, dairy and wheat gluten. Any of those things alone or in combination gets my bowels all worked up. Birds and fish don't give me any problems so I still eat them. I never had a weight problem before so I can't speak to that, but my cholesterol dropped 22 points in a month after dropping those foods. I'm sure there are a million stories to contradict my simple anecdote, but I don't mind sharing my story. You never know if someone with a digestive disorder may be helped by sharing info. :flowerforyou:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I think the only benefit of eating vegan is that for most people, its a false sense of superiority
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    NO BENEFITS
  • VirtualRosa
    Options
    Not to rain on your parade, but there are also plenty of people who report negative health effects from being a vegan, even doing everything correctly.

...hate to rain on your parade but you should know this....

"Refined, white sugar, like the kind used in Oreos is sometimes filtered through charred animal bones" source: http://voices.yahoo.com/are-oreos-vegan-might-surprised-11185218.html

and french fries (at least at Mc Donald's) are not vegan either :(..."Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*" source: http://animalrights.about.com/b/2011/10/26/mcdonalds-french-fries-still-not-vegetarian.htm

As far as potato chips the only kind that I have found to be completely vegan are kettle chips..

I am not vegan myself but I like to know the facts :) Hope this is helpful :)
  • 000WhiteRose000
    000WhiteRose000 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    NO BENEFITS

Agreed.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I think the only benefit of eating vegan is that for most people, its a false sense of superiority

I agree with this.

But I shall now respectfully step out of the conversation and watch it now go downhill as I consume some popcorn...
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% super hardcore vegan, but I like to eat "mostly vegan" (like when I grocery shop I usually only buy vegan foods) & also don't eat junk like fast food or artificial sweeteners.

When I changed my eating habits about 6 years ago I noticed a huge difference in just a few months (besides losing some weight.) My whole life I'd catch every cold that went around, & would get bronchitis & strep throat at least twice a year. Ever since I changed my eating habits I rarely get sick AT ALL (just gotta watch out when the season changes cold & ward off any springtime allergy) and I think I got bronchitis once. Have not gotten strep or the flu at all in at least 6 years. :)

Oh!
    And I saw someone mentioned the So Delicious brand (and some poor ignorant soul talking about "fake dairy products".)
    SO DELICIOUS IS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!! OMG!!! I love their yogurts, & I finally tried their ice cream sandwiches last week - OMG OMG OMG! I think my mouth is having an orgasm just thinking about it haha. It was so hard for me to stop myself from eating more than one, but at just 100 calories, eating 2 wouldn't have been that bad. :smile:
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

Most think they are doing it correctly. Big difference.

Don't know what point as trying to be made with the junk food. Most vegans (usually) give up processed foods too.

They were doing it under the guidance of doctors and dietitians. Getting enough protein, taking multivitamins, everything. Not to mention that there is a lot more data out there now about how genetics impact the ability of people to go vegetarian.
  • bathsheba_c
    Options

...hate to rain on your parade but you should know this....

"Refined, white sugar, like the kind used in Oreos is sometimes filtered through charred animal bones" source: http://voices.yahoo.com/are-oreos-vegan-might-surprised-11185218.html

and french fries (at least at Mc Donald's) are not vegan either :(..."Potatoes, vegetable oil (canola oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*" source: http://animalrights.about.com/b/2011/10/26/mcdonalds-french-fries-still-not-vegetarian.htm

As far as potato chips the only kind that I have found to be completely vegan are kettle chips..

I am not vegan myself but I like to know the facts :) Hope this is helpful :)

Well, if you're going to be finicky about what counts as vegan, organic produce is fertilized using the manure of domesticated animals and animals are still used in many places to perform agricultural labor.

I respect the right of people to say, "I want to be vegan, but I don't want to have to check out every single item containing 'natural flavor' and 'natural color' to make sure it isn't beaver *kitten* and crushed beetles."
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ^ I know a boatload of vegans & vegetarians & I've never come across someone with those types of problems.
    Maybe it's because I'm from California & we're awesome. :wink:
  • bathsheba_c
    Options
    ^ I know a boatload of vegans & vegetarians & I've never come across someone with those types of problems.
    Maybe it's because I'm from California & we're awesome. :wink:

Could be. :)

In all fairness, my small sample set is all genetically related to each other (but not close enough to be passing on bad vegetarian advice, just "small ethnic group" close).
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that there is a lot more data out there now about how genetics impact the ability of people to go vegetarian.

This sounds really interesting. Do you know where I can read about this?
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options

This is the main one that gets passed around:

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1728051

Perfect example of how people get a horribly incorrect view on a topic based on one persons really bad anecdote
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No benefits. Vegan/Vegatarian was not created for health reasons. The people who brought veganism to western culture were not the kind of people concerned about health. I'll just stop there
This discussion has been closed.