Added benefits of eating vegan

Options

Replies

• runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Any diet that takes that much effort is not for me. Sorry. I respect anyone who can stick to a certain way of eating...such as vegan or paleo...but you know, it's hard enough for me to eat healthy but then to put all the restrictions in there...it would drive me nuts.
  • tina711x
    Options
    agreed!!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    In response to the OP's question: After losing 70 pounds three years ago, my cholesterol levels remained average and my A1C levels remained slightly elevated even though my weight was in a normal range and I exercised regularly. My fasting blood sugar was always around 125.

I started eating a mostly vegan diet about 2.5 years ago because I was dating a vegan and had to cook that way. Within the first year, my cholesterol levels dropped by about 50 points (from 170 to 120), my A1C levels dropped into the normal range, and my fasting blood sugar levels fell below 100. My triglyceride levels also fell. Since changing my diet. I also have found it much easier to maintain my weight loss. While trying to lose the first 70 pounds on my old diet, I yo-yo'ed, but have kept my weight off with no problem eating mostly vegan. Last summer, I dropped an additional 15 pounds without counting calories when I started training for a half marathon - some of that has come back over the winter since I can't get out as much to run, but I haven't regained any of the original 70 pound loss.

I don't claim that the vegan diet is superior. I can say though, that even with my best efforts in exercise and losing 70 pounds, i was unable to see any positive changes in my bloodwork until I changed my diet. I know it isn't for everyone, but it seems to work for me.
  • tina711x
    Options
    Soyacts like estrogen - soy foods = tofu, tempeh, edamame, miso, many veggie burgers, and other products made with soy flour contain isoflavones, which are chemically similar to estrogens. Two major types, genestein and daidzen, can act like estrogen in the body.

Estrogen = linked to hormonally-sensitive cancers in women, such as breast and endometrial cancer. Breast cells contain estrogen receptors, and when the "key" (estrogen) joins with the "lock" (the estrogen receptor), a series of signals are sent that are able to turn on estrogen-receptor (ER) positive breast tumor growth.

Once again, not talking to those who are already vegan becuase im sure you already know this.. this is for innocent people (mostly women who tend to be more diet conscious) thinking of becomming vegan/vegetarian to shed a few pounds.. know what your getting yourself into!
  • pobalita
    Options
    anybody had daiya cheese?

Yes. It isn't bad at all. It melts well and works well in quesadillas. It's the best of the vegan cheeses I've tried. I don't think it's very nutritious though, so I don't use it often.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Soyacts like estrogen - soy foods = tofu, tempeh, edamame, miso, many veggie burgers, and other products made with soy flour contain isoflavones, which are chemically similar to estrogens. Two major types, genestein and daidzen, can act like estrogen in the body.

Estrogen = linked to hormonally-sensitive cancers in women, such as breast and endometrial cancer. Breast cells contain estrogen receptors, and when the "key" (estrogen) joins with the "lock" (the estrogen receptor), a series of signals are sent that are able to turn on estrogen-receptor (ER) positive breast tumor growth.

Once again, not talking to those who are already vegan becuase im sure you already know this.. this is for innocent people (mostly women who tend to be more diet conscious) thinking of becomming vegan/vegetarian to shed a few pounds.. know what your getting yourself into!

There is PLENTY of estrogen in milk too. Unfair to say soy when Dairy is huge in it. After all, dairy comes from nursing female animals.

Foods Containing Natural Estrogens

Note: Those rich in isoflavones are underlined while those foods rich in glutamate are in bold.

Alfalfa
    Animal flesh
    Anise seed
    Apples
    Baker's yeast
    Barley
    Beets
    Carrots
    Cherries
    Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
    Clover
    Cowpeas (black- eyed peas)
    Cucumbers
    Dairy Foods***
    Dates
    Eggs
    Eggplant
    Fennel
    Flaxseeds
    Garlic
    Hops
    Licorice
    Oats
    Olive oil
    Olives
    Papaya
    Parsley
    Peas
    Peppers
    Plums
    Pomegranates
    Potatoes
    Pumpkin
    Red beans
    Red clover
    Rhubarb
    Rice (relatively highin glutamate)
    Sage
    Sesame seeds
    Soybean sprouts
    Soybeans***
    Sunflower seeds
    Tomatoes
    Wheat
    Yams
  • tina711x
    Options
    Nope, sorry the amount in soy is way higher. if you took your mask off you could see that.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

There is no demonstrated link between phyto-oestrogen and disease that has been published by a credible source..
    kind regards,

Ben
  • tina711x
    Options
    anyway are you a woman worried about breast/endometrial cancer? i dont understand why your a man trying to deter women who dont know anything about veganism and all of the soy products they would have to comsume and the risks that come with that. just like how smoking didnt cause cancer and was perfectly safe and the "cool" thing to do right? how long did they take smoking was just banned from public places recently. why would a vegan be worried about consuming so many soy products as a MAIN FOOD GROUP gee i dont know? i'm really over this. you've typed so much that no one that comes on here can see the potential warnings of what can happen to your body from becomming a vegan and that its dangerous. so now its on you for pushing it so much until the studies come back years from now about how harmful it is to your body.. peace.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    anyway are you a woman worried about breast/endometrial cancer? i dont understand why your a man trying to deter women who dont know anything about veganism and all of the soy products they would have to comsume and the risks that come with that. just like how smoking didnt cause cancer and was perfectly safe and the "cool" thing to do right? how long did they take smoking was just banned from public places recently. why would a vegan be worried about consuming so many soy products as a MAIN FOOD GROUP gee i dont know? i'm really over this. you've typed so much that no one that comes on here can see the potential warnings of what can happen to your body from becomming a vegan and that its dangerous. so now its on you for pushing it so much until the studies come back years from now about how harmful it is to your body.. peace.

Let me repeat: any claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    If you have any evidence published by a credible source that indicates soy products are injurous to health then please provide it.
    If not, then your unsubstantiated claim can be dismissed for what it is - an unsubstantiated claim.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

There is PLENTY of estrogen in milk too. Unfair to say soy when Dairy is huge in it. After all, dairy comes from nursing female animals.

Foods Containing Natural Estrogens

Note: Those rich in isoflavones are underlined while those foods rich in glutamate are in bold.

Alfalfa
    Animal flesh
    Anise seed
    Apples
    Baker's yeast
    Barley
    Beets
    Carrots
    Cherries
    Chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
    Clover
    Cowpeas (black- eyed peas)
    Cucumbers
    Dairy Foods***
    Dates
    Eggs
    Eggplant
    Fennel
    Flaxseeds
    Garlic
    Hops
    Licorice
    Oats
    Olive oil
    Olives
    Papaya
    Parsley
    Peas
    Peppers
    Plums
    Pomegranates
    Potatoes
    Pumpkin
    Red beans
    Red clover
    Rhubarb
    Rice (relatively highin glutamate)
    Sage
    Sesame seeds
    Soybean sprouts
    Soybeans***
    Sunflower seeds
    Tomatoes
    Wheat
    Yams

Interesting fact the phytoestrogens in parsley are so high that it is recommended as a natrual rememdy to encourage miscarriage, and drink enough beer the hops can encourage breast tissue growth.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ya know, if I ever walk into a clinic or hospital, and you're the nurse on duty, I'm going far away. You've more than demonstrated your total ignorance here, how could I take any advice you'd give seriously? Soy is no more a source of isoflavones than any of the other foods already listed. No credible scientific study has ever causally linked soy to any kind of cancer, in males or females. You're spouting out a lot of unsubstantiated, scare mongering falsities. Since you claim to be in the medical field, you really should go back and read some real research on these topics.

If soy is as bad as you say, explain how Okinawans and other Asian populations (who live on soy) have such long and healthy lives, compared to Americans?
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Nope, sorry the amount in soy is way higher. if you took your mask off you could see that.

Says the faceless profile lady. No need to be ignorant or rude - or throw stones in your glass house. Also you can try to look beyond your nose and see a whole world of possibilites ahead of you! Unless you were not taught that...

Dairy accounts for 60 percent to 80 percent of estrogens consumed according to Ganmaa Davaasambuu Ph.D.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html

It's much harder to "prove" b/c you have lobbyists and lawyers on stun, and threats of pulling out of funding, so yeah, not much research has been done, but it doesn't mean logical & partial evidence isn't available. Look what monsanto & the dairy industry did to Fox News - forcing them to pull a news broadcast on milk and the crap going into it (crap that is still going into milk in US, but not in UK or Canada).
  • pobalita
    Options

Could you please post a link or cite a study that proves that soy causes cancer?
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    Come on guys - no need to reply back to Tina.

Here is a quote from her: " being "vegan" wont help you lost weight at all. I had a teacher that was a vegetarian and he weighed about 300lbs.".

Obviously she bases her opinions based on one off cases in her life. She doesn't understand that even vegetarians can eat very unhealthy (processed vegetarian foods), and probably doesn't know that even skinny people could have heart attacks from clogged arteries.

She's obviously trolling us, b/c no one can be that off.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jjrichard83
    Options

Wow you showed us! A CNN "expert" answer from a member of the American Cancer society. A society who is funded HEAVILY by.... You guessed it! The DAIRY INDUSTRY! Non-bias info there!

Thank you!

I feel I have to explain my sarcasm though..... You may not have gotten it!
  • earlswimsuit
    Options
    Being vegan is such a healthier life style - for the animals and for the people. People who try and justify meat eating are just so ignorant. Anyway, congratulations on the change. :smooched:
  • jjrichard83
    Options
    When you find info on line, you have to also try to think about what benefits the person or group has to take a stance one way or another on a particular situation. FDA is one of the worst - they CAN be bought, and of course the Cancer Society can be bought!
This discussion has been closed.