Replies

• TigerBlood72
    TigerBlood72 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    h13E46D50
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If one person says you're doing it wrong, meh.

If everyone says you're doing it wrong, you're doing it wrong

Thank you Dave for making my day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I some one needs advice the'll ask for it.

Not true. I see people doing stuff wrong every day.....Most won't ask for help......If what they are doing looks dangerous or ineffective you can bet your *kitten* I am going to tell them......Most people really appreciate the help and really want to do it right.......but are too prideful to ask how. That said.....it sounds like you got it all figured out. I truly hope nobody tries to help you ever again.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    headphones, ignore, solved.

this & hoodie with hood up helps too ...ignore

and black sun glasses. basically look like the unibomber
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I see people with awful form in my gym and I keep meaning to say something, but I suppose I might come off like an arrogant *kitten*, so I never do (I suppose I would if I had to run over and catch their weighs), so I figure it their life......

Having said that, its usually the 16 yr old 'dudes' all bunched around the one doing a 1 rep bench press or pouting in the mirror whilst doing curls.....
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    h13E46D50

LMAO....Omg, I've never seen that before! You made my day!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

or maybe she's doing it wrong and will end up hurting herself.

a few months back a new girl showed up at my gym. she was hot. she was doing squats. or good mornings. or reverse cleans. what i'm saying is, she was in the squat rack and i think she was trying to do squats, but her form was terrible and she was seriously going to hurt herself. i'm sure when she saw me watching what she was doing she thought i was creeping her, when what i was really doing was bracing to run over there and snatch the weight off her when she collapsed.

here's the part i'm ashamed of. if it was a dude, or a 55 year old lady, i would have come up to him after the first set, asked what exercise they were attempting, told them about proper form, showed them a few reps as the weight was so light it wouldn't bother my workout, and then spotted them on a set while watching their form. This isn't something I would do every time, but when the form was THAT BAD, i feel guilty not saying anything. it was like watching someone else's kid run across a busy street unsupervised.

But since she was young and hot, I didn't say a word, because I just imagined her coming on to MFP after leaving the gym and writing a post like the OP, or a comment like yours.

^^I have had guys in the gym approach me in the squat rack. A lot of people have bad form and don't know it.

A lot of personal trainers teach bad form. Sad but true.

Look, if I'm in the gym lifting something heavy and someone offers to spot or to help me on positioning the bar, or with my form, I take it. Particularly if it is someone I've watched work out. I'm still new to lifting heavy because I've only been at it a few months - serious lifting that is. I'm OCD about form and watch videos every day before I lift. And I take fairly respectable breaks between sets. And once a week, I have my husband come in and spot me when I try to set PRs and to watch my form. My back and neck are way too important to me.

The thing is, if I had several men tap me on the shoulder and offer to help me squat, I'd think I was doing something wrong. I'd probably even ask a couple of them to check me. Then I'd have my husband come in and double check me.

I've been hit on in the gym -- in the cardio section, at the front counter, and at the entry to the building -- but NEVER in the squat rack.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I some one needs advice the'll ask for it.

Not true. I see people doing stuff wrong every day.....Most won't ask for help......If what they are doing looks dangerous or ineffective you can bet your *kitten* I am going to tell them......Most people really appreciate the help and really want to do it right.......but are too prideful to ask how.

^This. There was a girl at the gym doing standing bicep curls only halfway, which meant she was working it really half-assed. I told her and showed her a better form, and she said she felt the difference right away(she was a major newbie and admitted she didn't know what she was doing). And I got a new lifting buddy out of it. :D
  • CrystalGetFitJackson26
    Options

Yep! Works every time :-)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Your way might be working but I wouldn't write off the advice that quickly. Following that advice could maximize your workout and prevent injury. You can certainly tell them to butt out, but you might be missing out on great advice.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    If one person says you're doing it wrong, meh.

If everyone says you're doing it wrong, you're doing it wrong

Seriously.

You're either incredibly attractive and working at a gym full of pervs

or

You're doing something wrong.
  • Ginsey31
    Options
    Me thinks someone wanted to brag about how often she gets hit on at the gym without bragging about how often she gets hit on at the gym. Well played.

I agree especially after the comment where the conversation topics turn to marriage...
  • BadAzzBea
    Options

this & hoodie with hood up helps too ...ignore

and black sun glasses. basically look like the unibomber

LMAO!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Me thinks someone wanted to brag about how often she gets hit on at the gym without bragging about how often she gets hit on at the gym. Well played.

or maybe she is addressing a real issue that discourages women from attending the gym or moving out of their comfort zone from the treadmil to the weights section with "the boys"

a few months back a new girl showed up at my gym. she was hot. she was doing squats. or good mornings. or reverse cleans. what i'm saying is, she was in the squat rack and i think she was trying to do squats, but her form was terrible and she was seriously going to hurt herself. i'm sure when she saw me watching what she was doing she thought i was creeping her, when what i was really doing was bracing to run over there and snatch the weight off her when she collapsed.

here's the part i'm ashamed of. if it was a dude, or a 55 year old lady, i would have come up to him after the first set, asked what exercise they were attempting, told them about proper form, showed them a few reps as the weight was so light it wouldn't bother my workout, and then spotted them on a set while watching their form. This isn't something I would do every time, but when the form was THAT BAD, i feel guilty not saying anything. it was like watching someone else's kid run across a busy street unsupervised.

But since she was young and hot, I didn't say a word, because I just imagined her coming on to MFP after leaving the gym and writing a post like the OP, or a comment like yours.

Legit insight...and valid points.

(Once again reminding me of why you are the muscular black Yoda of MFP.)
  • CrystalGetFitJackson26
    Options
    Yeah this happen to me before too while with my husband!!! My husband and I wanted to try out this new Boot Camp thing at the local gym, all the professors on campus were talking about it and a handful of students, they told me I should go, "it would actually be a challenge to me" lol (I run 3-5 miles at least 3 times a week, lift weights, and take Zumba, so it's very few things around here that challenge me) so any who my hubby and I decided to go that morning and this older man (I'd say about late 40's early 50's), the instructor told us to get weights, and he was like you need to start off with the 2.5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! for the free weights and for the barbell he was like you should get the 5 lbs!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am not super buff but it's obvious that I work out! He had no Idea where I was physically or anything. I am an adult I know what I can and can not handle. He got on my last nerve that Saturday every time went over to the barbell rack (that is were he was standing) he had something to say! UGH My husband was giving him the bug off buddy look but he was persistent, then he wasn't getting paid! At least if I'm going to be handing out advice like candy, I'm going to be on somebodies pay roll lol Sadly I have not been back since then.... I don't have time for that! He should have taken his own advice, because he was the one straining through the whole class trying to show out lol!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

or maybe she is addressing a real issue that discourages women from attending the gym or moving out of their comfort zone from the treadmil to the weights section with "the boys"

Legit insight...and valid points.

(Once again reminding me of why you are the muscular black Yoda of MFP.)

I kind of wish I had the OPs problem. OK I think that if people speaking discourage women from attending the gym or doing things, there's something we need to address before we address 'stop talking to me'. I'm concerned I'll injure myself when I'm in the weight room and the people I have tried to talk to (when they were not in the middle of a set) gave me dirty looks.

I have the opposite problem. People say diddly squat when I do squats at my gym. I just get gawks. I wish people opened their mouth more so I could get ideas if I was doing things right or wrong? Where's the crazy person who talks to themselves when you need them?

In other news the previous Gym I use to try to hide in a corner but everyone would find me and ask if I could do what I was doing on their bed...Yup it made me not want to do stretches, but in other news I can put my foot behind my head...And instead of wanting all people not to speak, I let not only my foot but everything else go to my head too EgoBoost++
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My guess is they are hitting on you and you also have bad form.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    So, I've been trying to get back on track with my exercise. But every time I go to the gym, there are these guys (random) who will not let me go on w/ my work out!!! they're like "can I give you some advice?" or "that's not how you do that" "you shouldn't do cardio and weight training the same day" ugh!!! I'm so tired of ppl who get into my business. I know what I'm doing I've lost almost 30 pounds so take your advice elsewhere!! am I right?!! Today one took the cake, he kept talking and talking about nonsense crap..like how he had been in the olympics and how i had a nice body.. OMG I'm fed up! From now on I'm working out at home. Sorry everyone, but if you are one of those ppl....I'm just throwing this out there.. I some one needs advice the'll ask for it.
    First, amount of weight loss =/= knowledge.

Second, I've lost 134 lbs, yet I do not parade around acting like I know anything and everything there is to know about weight loss and fitness. I'll gladly concede that I don't. Nor do I act like I'm an expert on proper lifting/running/cycling/etc. form. Again, I'm not.

Third, if person after person is coming up trying to help me with my form/giving me advice/etc., chances are, I am doing something wrong. Hate to burst your bubble, but I highly doubt any of those people were hitting on you.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    wish someone would speak to me at my gym......

:laugh:
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options