Online dating

Options
14567810»

Replies

• Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My personal experience was, I "dated" a lot. More than usual. Like, you have to meet the person in real life at some point so I ended up with a lot of first and second dates.
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's freaking horrible! But, I keep doing it. Have had 2 dates this week.

I certainly have not experienced that men msg or communicate more. Most of the time, I feel like if I don't contact someone, it isn't going to happen. It's definitely a love/hate thing for me. You MUST have good self esteem going into it and skin of titanium. I've had way too many first dates that I thought would be my last "first date" and then just nada. poof! They're gone. Not sure if I lack something in person that I have in writing, if I'm too fat, too tall, too whatever. But I've learned to brush it off and either keep trying or sit at home alone. I'm not very good at the latter.

Everyone has their opinions about it, apparently - good and bad! If you think you can handle it, try it! Best of luck to you :)
  • Surriess
    Surriess Posts: 1
    Options
    i dont know what you would consider success, but ive been on a couple of dates over coffee. thats about it. i find it hard to date people over the internet. just too much things to worry about. like are they trying to scam me? is the profile real? if its real, are they being completely honest? is the picture them?

Things like that makes it hard for me to get any farther than just chatting with them over the internet.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    i dont know what you would consider success, but ive been on a couple of dates over coffee. thats about it. i find it hard to date people over the internet. just too much things to worry about. like are they trying to scam me? is the profile real? if its real, are they being completely honest? is the picture them?

Things like that makes it hard for me to get any farther than just chatting with them over the internet.

You never know until you meet them. What's the worst that could happen? Google them and also use Google image search. Of course you meet in a public place and tell your friends/family where you are going and who you are meeting. I also always check their ID on a first date. I explain to them why and so far no one has minded because they are who they say they are. They also seem to respect that I watch out for myself. I don't know if I've just been lucky or if I am good at pre screening, but I have yet to meet a total jerk from a dating site. I've met plenty that I had no chemistry with, but they were still cool guys. Recently I've met an awesome guy on OKC and I can see a possible future with him.

I think to find success on a dating site, you have to have to give up just a little bit of control and be willing to take an adventurous leap. Meeting a guy in real life is just as risky.
  • DarkshineGirl
    Options
    I tried online dating last year, had to sift through a lot of creepers or guys just wanting one night stands. I tried Plentyof Fish with a couple of results, met two guys for lunch but there wasn't any real connection. Then I tried OKCupid... and ended up meeting my current boyfriend. As long as you're safe about meeting these guys (public areas in the daytime) I say give it a try. I'd recommend OKCupid for sure.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Met my wife through "Myspace" not really looking to do "Online Dating" as Match.com was horrible. But sought to expand my friends in the area, and then we just hit it off.
  • ChickieBoom22
    ChickieBoom22 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of anger about how I was treated at my biggest but the truth is I have to let it go and move on with my life. I can't change how big I was, I can only learn from it and hope that my life experiences make me better. I was miserable so I can't act surprised that no one wanted to date me...it more than likely wasn't just the weight that I was carrying. I feel a lot better about myself now and it's not just because of the weight loss. I feel in control.

I see lots of bigger women with boyfriends and plenty of bigger men with girlfriends...to each his own. If someone isn't attracted to me, it's fine. There are plenty of people that I don't find attractive. It's not worth getting bent out of shape about.
  • suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "dating" but when I lived in NYC, OKCupid was great for hanging out with people of the opposite sex. I always saw it as meeting a friend for the first time. "Online dating" sounds like you are auditioning for potential long-term life partners.
  • yonky50
    yonky50 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Paige: Don't give up on the dating sites yet. I know my son also uses the dating sites occasionally and he is the type of guy I think you would like. So the good guys are out there. Be patient, be careful and don't settle for less than you deserve. When the time is right, the right partner will show up-- just keep your eyes open so you don't miss them. (sorry, slipped into Mom mode again)