Online dating

Options

Replies

• tynishabeezfit
    tynishabeezfit Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just don't do this one. It seems a little weird.lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RvyFFjP7RE
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    Most of my relationships started online, including my (very happy) relationship with my bf. You do have to wade through some crap and you have to be very smart about it, but it is possible. There are a lot of nay-sayers out there, but my response is, why not? For all you know, the absolute perfect person for you could live in another state and you would never meet them otherwise. It worked for me because I have social anxiety, and the dating scene is very stressful for me. I could relax and be myself, and when I met someone "for real", I felt a lot more comfortable because all the "getting to know you" stuff was out of the way. Just have fun and be yourself. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Never been on one of those sites, never will.

Were all happy for ya!!

Thank you tan man!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    nope I ended up with an abuser online who was not who he claimed to be. its better to date someone you know personally who lives in your area. never again will I do the online dating bit
  • bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i signed up for one briefly but didn't like it. i did however meet my fiancee online in a general message board setting similar to this one.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I met my husband of four years on a dating site. It's really no different from meeting someone any other way. Just use common sense and get to know them like you would, otherwise.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Online dating: does not work for women who are still overweight. I hear the stories about women being flooded with 30 messages a day. Nope. More like one every other week from a super creeper.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    :heart: Ive had alot of so so and disappointing game playing situations with it but it only take meeting ONE good person to make it worthwhile. I met my fiance on a free dating site over 2 yrs ago. I was at the point after all the game players online that I really didn't care anymore. I went out with him and one date turned into another, etc.

We dated for 2 yrs and this past Oct he proposed to me. So I guess use it as just another tool in meeting new people. The right person will come regardless of the method chosen. I certainly went out on alot of non desirable dates and even a few doomed relationships to the point that I actually got so tired of it all I refused to even date for 5 yrs!

Going into the dating scene with the right mental attitude makes a difference. Don't look at every single "match" or "wink" as your potential mate. Just take it for what it is and if its meant to be then it will be.

Good luck!!!
  • tbcass
    tbcass Posts: 23
    Options
    It's all about managing your expectations and patience. I met a bunch if duds.... Then, I met my, now, husband. We celebrated our two year anniversary in October and had our son last August. I was in Philadelphia and he was in Eastern NC. We would have never met if it weren't for online dating! Good luck!
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    Noooooo! I want OLD-FASHION face-to-face dating to come back :(

I meet men looking for hook-ups or men who say they are 6'2 and end up being 5'8 LOL But truthfully when I did it I met some GREAT FRIENDS that I still have to this day :)

But you can meet people you never would....just make sure if they seem too good to be true, you check them out first. Watch MTV's CATFISH??? LOL Scarey!!!!

Good luck to you--let us know how it goes.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    A dating site is adverse selection at its finest. There is an inbuilt reward system for exaggerating or outright lying meaning that these traits will eventually overtake all others the more successful the site becomes. It creates a market for lemons.

Practical advice? You will have more success if you are looking for a quality relationship at a smaller site with selective clientele who share common interests (whatever that may be like politics, religion, gaming etc.)

Seriously, if this was a dating site it would be a phenomenal place to meet people.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    But you can meet people you never would....just make sure if they seem too good to be true, you check them out first. Watch MTV's CATFISH??? LOL Scarey!!!!

Lol. I think someone tried this yesterday.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match.com five years ago. We had our one-year anniversary in September.

My brother met his wife on plentyoffish.com

You never know. :smile:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I met my fiancé on World of Warcraft :blushing:

Just be honest and hope the people you meet are being honest too. I prefer being friends with someone before you start dating them though, but I'm never actively looking to date someone, I just kind of let it happen. People can really put on a show when they're "on the market" whereas being friends with them first shows you who they are on a day to day basis when they're not on their best behavior.
  • FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options

That is where I stopped reading, you lucky *kitten* and having similar taste in things
  • rmkramer003
    rmkramer003 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have been using MeetUp.com. It's not a dating site, but a group get together site. People with common interests going out and doing stuff.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Just one more thing... a dating site is a supplement to real world dating. For me, coming out of a 13 year marriage, I was out of practice in chatting up women in bars etc, but that's not to say I didn't try sometimes. And most of the people I met in social situations were either married friends; or, if they were single, the parents of my kid's friends or work colleagues... not ideal dating material! Dating sites got me to meet people I wasn't going to run into in my daily life. And after you get matched online, you still have to go and actually meet them f2f.

I dunno. I was very sceptical at first, and very frustrated for a while. But, as of now, it's been worthwhile. YMMV, of course!
  • mattagascar
    mattagascar Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Never have never will....i don't see anything wrong with it though.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

That is where I stopped reading, you lucky *kitten* and having similar taste in things