Bacon (to eat or not to eat)

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not just the govt that thinks eating too much bacon or other cured meats or meats high in saturated fat can have health consequences.
    Context and dosage. Context and dosage.

Dosage? As in "too much"? Although according to the American Institute for Cancer Research, there is no safe amount of cured meats, including bacon.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=elements_red_processed_meat

I forget the exact amount too have an intake of nitrates above the level studies have found correlation to increased cancer, but I beleive it was something like the equivalent to 45lbs of deli meats for a 200lb man or something of that nature

The AICR says "Research shows that any amount of processed meat is linked to increased risk of colorectal cancer." The site does not say how much the icrease is.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Your question is invalid. NEXT!
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    1.Pork is very fattening. Pork is one of the fattiest meats that you can consume. Eating pork continually will pack on the pounds much faster as compared with eating other lean meats like chicken and turkey. If you like bacon you're better off switching to turkey bacon as it is a healthier alternative.

This is only true if you are eating large amounts of just bacon...aka...going over your calories.

Fat does not make you fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It's not just the govt that thinks eating too much bacon or other cured meats or meats high in saturated fat can have health consequences.

Dosage? As in "too much"? Although according to the American Institute for Cancer Research, there is no safe amount of cured meats, including bacon.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=elements_red_processed_meat

I forget the exact amount too have an intake of nitrates above the level studies have found correlation to increased cancer, but I beleive it was something like the equivalent to 45lbs of deli meats for a 200lb man or something of that nature

The AICR says "Research shows that any amount of processed meat is linked to increased risk of colorectal cancer." The site does not say how much the icrease is.

Consuming 3.5 ounces
    of processed meat every day (24.5 ounces per
    week) increased the risk of colorectal cancer
    by 36 percent when compared to someone
    who eats no processed meat.

www.aicr.org/assets/docs/pdf/.../ScienceNow37-Summer-2011.pdf

So that equates to 80lbs of deli meats a yr
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Consuming 3.5 ounces

Or a couple of slices of bacon per day. That's actually surprising to me. I didn't realize the increased risk was so high.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bacon is delicious. I don't eat it all the time because I don't enjoy it in its own, weird I know. It's a bit too salty for me. Its a must for me with massive breakfasts and on burgers and pizza.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Consuming 3.5 ounces

Or a couple of slices of bacon per day. That's actually surprising to me. I didn't realize the increased risk was so high.

http://www.dietandcancerreport.org/expert_report/index.php
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    For everyone that is claiming that bacon is really fatty and the fat you eat makes you fat, a thought experiment for you.

Since 1900, two really significant things have changed in the American diet.

1. American consumption of sugar has increased 30 fold on an annual basis, from 5 lbs to 150 lbs, per capita.
    2. Americans have reduced their fat consumption due to FDA, AHA, AMA, etc. guidelines dramatically.

Over that same time period we have gone from a measurable approximately 5% of the population is obese to well over 20%, type II diabetes, heart disease, and all of the other issues associated with obesity have also gone through the roof. The cause of all of those things is almost certainly obesity. Now, ask yourself, what is the cause of obesity? If we are eating less fat and more sugar and getting more and more obese .... ?

Hmmmmm, perhaps it's not bacon that is the issue. Eat bacon to your heart's content, as long as you aren't over eating calories in general. Saturated fats are not what is making us obese, nor what is causing our diabetes and heart disease problems. It's sugar that is the real enemy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I don't trust them as a source either. They are as bad as the Susan G. Kohmen Foundation - making money off the suffering of others. They aren't trying to prevent/cure cancer. At all.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I don't trust them as a source either. They are as bad as the Susan G. Kohmen Foundation - making money off the suffering of others. They aren't trying to prevent/cure cancer. At all.
    The boys and girls running big agriculture (and receiving huge amounts of subsidies from the Fed Gov) have a vested interest in not changing our dietary patterns. Take a look at who is funding pharmacy, and the various health associations, like AICR. It's eye opening.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    GASP! Never deny the bacon. Worship this pig!:glasses:
  • AndyLL180
    AndyLL180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Yes Context and Dosage.

The study wasn't a study of this issue but a review of other studies. Those other studies weren't studies about processed meat and cancer... just studies that included dietary information and health information.

Correlation does not imply causation

I'm not claiming nitrates are good for anyone but I would put the study in context. Processed meats got the press but here is a chart showing all items that the study of studies had conclusions on.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/new/images/photos/various/Megamatrix-1620x1024.jpg

Most studies in this area rely on food journals and not verifiable diets.

Andy
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    34023748_7529.jpg

That's awesome. I'm stealing it.

:laugh:
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Skip the toast and eat the bacon.

Also, as to the alleged trichinosis issue, even the USDA now agrees that pork (such as chops) does not need to be cooked until it tastes like leather.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/news/NR_052411_01/index.asp

A little pinkish center is fine.

(TWSS)
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    ^^^^ This!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    The boys and girls running big agriculture (and receiving huge amounts of subsidies from the Fed Gov) have a vested interest in not changing our dietary patterns. Take a look at who is funding pharmacy, and the various health associations, like AICR. It's eye opening.

Actually, I already have. I am actually an activist IRL, working to end the drug war specificially, but would *LOVE* to end the food and drug cartel for good. :flowerforyou:
  • KAYKAYSCOTT
    Options
    Try Turkey Bacon it is really good and low in sodium and fat. I like the Butterball Turkey Bacon it's only 25 Calories a slice and no sodium or carbs. great with boil eggs and a piece of toast.
  • layny89
    layny89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat bacon or most meats with pork (I've got a weakness for salami though). It's not because it's a "dirty" animal, it's because I just can't stand the smell/taste/texture, etc. of most pork (or meat in general for that matter), though I'm in no way a vegetarian lol

Anyway, eating bacon shouldn't affect your diet drastically if you moderate how much you eat. A Sunday treat is good, a few times a week with breakfast is good. Just don't have it every meal and you'll be just fine lol
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Actually, I already have. I am actually an activist IRL, working to end the drug war specificially, but would *LOVE* to end the food and drug cartel for good
    that will only happen by ending the unholy subsidizing of agriculture by the federal government. Congress, USDA, HHS, FDA and all of big Ag and big Pharma are completely captured into a Agri-Drug-Gov Industrial complex that is far worse than the supposed Military Industrial complex ever has been. Take away government power and money to build that complex and watch what happens as they all suddenly have to compete on equal footing.

Based on what I have learned over the years, Congress subsidizing certain sorts of agriculture (corn lobby, for example) and empowering the FDA is exactly what is to blame for our health and obesity epidemics today. Of course, big pharma, HHS, etc. have a vested interest in not fixing that problem ...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Actually, I already have. I am actually an activist IRL, working to end the drug war specificially, but would *LOVE* to end the food and drug cartel for good
    that will only happen by ending the unholy subsidizing of agriculture by the federal government. Congress, USDA, HHS, FDA and all of big Ag and big Pharma are completely captured into a Agri-Drug-Gov Industrial complex that is far worse than the supposed Military Industrial complex ever has been. Take away government power and money to build that complex and watch what happens as they all suddenly have to compete on equal footing.

Based on what I have learned over the years, Congress subsidizing certain sorts of agriculture (corn lobby, for example) and empowering the FDA is exactly what is to blame for our health and obesity epidemics today. Of course, big pharma, HHS, etc. have a vested interest in not fixing that problem ...

^^ Agreed!