Bacon (to eat or not to eat)

Options

Replies

• ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Why on earth refuse to eat turkey bacon? Its the shiz. 35 calories a slice! I like it more than regular bacon now- but i like mine flat and crispie. I even put it on pizza

I don't like it. Its not the same as pork bacon. I'm sure its a cool substitute for some people.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Actually, I already have. I am actually an activist IRL, working to end the drug war specificially, but would *LOVE* to end the food and drug cartel for good
    that will only happen by ending the unholy subsidizing of agriculture by the federal government. Congress, USDA, HHS, FDA and all of big Ag and big Pharma are completely captured into a Agri-Drug-Gov Industrial complex that is far worse than the supposed Military Industrial complex ever has been. Take away government power and money to build that complex and watch what happens as they all suddenly have to compete on equal footing.

Based on what I have learned over the years, Congress subsidizing certain sorts of agriculture (corn lobby, for example) and empowering the FDA is exactly what is to blame for our health and obesity epidemics today. Of course, big pharma, HHS, etc. have a vested interest in not fixing that problem ...
    Really? So it's not your fault and my fault for eating too much and not getting off our fat *kitten*? Gov't did it? Well hell that makes me feel better.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    For everyone that is claiming that bacon is really fatty and the fat you eat makes you fat, a thought experiment for you.

Since 1900, two really significant things have changed in the American diet.

1. American consumption of sugar has increased 30 fold on an annual basis, from 5 lbs to 150 lbs, per capita.
    2. Americans have reduced their fat consumption due to FDA, AHA, AMA, etc. guidelines dramatically.

Over that same time period we have gone from a measurable approximately 5% of the population is obese to well over 20%, type II diabetes, heart disease, and all of the other issues associated with obesity have also gone through the roof. The cause of all of those things is almost certainly obesity. Now, ask yourself, what is the cause of obesity? If we are eating less fat and more sugar and getting more and more obese .... ?

Hmmmmm, perhaps it's not bacon that is the issue. Eat bacon to your heart's content, as long as you aren't over eating calories in general. Saturated fats are not what is making us obese, nor what is causing our diabetes and heart disease problems. It's sugar that is the real enemy.

I'm sure we haven't gotten more sedentary either...
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Really? So it's not your fault and my fault for eating too much and not getting off our fat *kitten*? Gov't did it? Well hell that makes me feel better.
    sigh, missing the point ... as do most about this topic. I didn't say you aren't individually responsible. I did say that the obesity epidemic directly correlates with the increase in sugar consumption (not just the white refined stuff, all sugars). We are talking health issues at a macro level here and you want to conflate that with your individual responsibility. Two different things entirely.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm sure we haven't gotten more sedentary either...
    Oh nooooo. I'm sure that all the automation in our life (and the resultant increasingly sedentary lifestyle) has nothing whatsoever to do with increased obesity. Remote-controlled everything, driving everywhere instead of walking, machinery replacing manual labor, kids sitting on the computer playing games instead of being outside riding bicycles and playing street football, physical education programs and team sports being cut in schools....noooo, it's none of that. It's just sugar. Sugar is the debil.

:headdesk:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    sigh, missing the point ... as do most about this topic. I didn't say you aren't individually responsible. I did say that the obesity epidemic directly correlates with the increase in sugar consumption (not just the white refined stuff, all sugars). We are talking health issues at a macro level here and you want to conflate that with your individual responsibility. Two different things entirely.
    People have gotten much more sedentary as well. I'm sure you're not out on a field toiling for 12 hours a day.

And they are not two different things entirely. They are totally connected, in fact. If people on an individual level won't make an effort to become healthier, then what the hell do you think is going to happen on a "macro" level.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Well, all the govt funded research is paying off. Have fun.

For those who love bacon, I leave you with this parting thought:

tumblr_mi84cj7EZJ1r5lqo2o1_500.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually, I already have. I am actually an activist IRL, working to end the drug war specificially, but would *LOVE* to end the food and drug cartel for good
    that will only happen by ending the unholy subsidizing of agriculture by the federal government. Congress, USDA, HHS, FDA and all of big Ag and big Pharma are completely captured into a Agri-Drug-Gov Industrial complex that is far worse than the supposed Military Industrial complex ever has been. Take away government power and money to build that complex and watch what happens as they all suddenly have to compete on equal footing.

Based on what I have learned over the years, Congress subsidizing certain sorts of agriculture (corn lobby, for example) and empowering the FDA is exactly what is to blame for our health and obesity epidemics today. Of course, big pharma, HHS, etc. have a vested interest in not fixing that problem ...

Are you kidding me?
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Are you kidding me?
    of course not. The FDA food pyramid that governs any government funded nutrition program in the country, the "health association" research programs funded with taxpayer dollars, the subsidizing specifically of grain/cereal crops, the fact that the US is known as Uncle Sugar because we used military force to control Caribbean sugar production and keep it ultra-cheap. All of this has no bearing on the idea that if we just would stop eating so many calories and get up and do a few jumping jacks, voila the US obesity epidemic would be over!

Nor does it appear that there is any willngness to understand that Americans used to eat 5 lbs of sugar annually and had less than 5% obesity rates in the general population. By sugar, we mean all sources of sugar, not just white, refined sugar. All carb type foods contain sugar. Today, the average American consumes 150 lbs of sugar annually, 30 times as much as in 1900. And we have a population with more than 20% obesity, nearly 60% overweight, horrific childhood obesity issues. But let's not change the subsidy of carb, grain and sugar production. Let's just blame it all on individuals

If people would revert to a diet containing between 5 and 10 lbs of sugar on an annual basis, they would lose the weight. But, that is practically impossible if you eat any sort of processed foods. We end up buying all our food stuff in "from the farm" form just because of that problem. By doing that, and eliminating grains, mostly, I have cut my sugar intake to an average of 100 grams a week, or about 5 kg a year, approximately 10 lbs a year. I have sustained that since June, 2012 without a serious problem and have lost significant weight and body fat during that time.

My fat intake is high, but it is primarily saturated fats and lots of medium chain triglycerides. I have virtually eliminated lecithin, gluten and AGG from my diet. And ALL of my health indicators are drastically improved. Bacon is a core part of what I eat (although the bacon I eat is organic to avoid the industrialized food issues: antibiotics, hormones, soy products used in the curing process, etc). There is absolutely nothing bad about bacon.

Bowing out of this thread now and leaving the calorie in/out, get more exercise, personal responsibility crowd to their own devices.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    BACOOOOOOOON!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Think about it. You're trying to lose fat. But you're eating someone else's fat (a dead pig's).

So yeah, go ahead and eat it but ultimately it will help you stay fat...if that's what you're looking to do....
    Right. I'm SO fat from eating bacon!

Correct information: eating fat doesn't make you fat. OVER EATING DOES.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Think about it. You're trying to lose fat. But you're eating someone else's fat (a dead pig's).

So yeah, go ahead and eat it but ultimately it will help you stay fat...if that's what you're looking to do....
    Right. I'm SO fat from eating bacon!

Correct information: eating fat doesn't make you fat. OVER EATING DOES.

IDEA Fitness member
    C'mon, man - you can't counter hysteria, conspiracy theories and fearmongering with FACTS!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    LOL! How did a post about bacon get to be about the evil's of the FDA? You people are too much, hahahahahahahahaha!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Try Turkey Bacon it is really good and low in sodium and fat. I like the Butterball Turkey Bacon it's only 25 Calories a slice and no sodium or carbs. great with boil eggs and a piece of toast.
    Not bacon.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Personally, I don't eat bacon or most meats with pork (I've got a weakness for salami though). It's not because it's a "dirty" animal, it's because I just can't stand the smell/taste/texture, etc. of most pork (or meat in general for that matter), though I'm in no way a vegetarian lol
    Hope you don't marry a police officer then.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    had four pieces with dinner just now - lost 45 pounds so far
  • disawell
    disawell Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Eat it as often as humanly possible. Everything is better with bacon.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I eat it quite a lot! I found it really was the TOAST i was having with it that made more difference on the scale! Now I just skip the toast and go hell for leather on the bacon omnomnomnomnom
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it." ~George Bernard Shaw
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    I don't get to eat bacon as much as I'd like because you just can't get decent stuff where I live in Germany! Whenever I go back home to the UK my first meal is always a fry-up :) and i've still lost weight when eating it!
    Its the same with anything really, just in moderation (although with bacon I know it's hard - my sister's a vegetarian now, but still has the odd sneaky bacon sarnie cos she can't resist!)
    It sounds like you cook yours in a healthy way, I grill mine too and it's still super tasty - actually makes it nice and crunchy so I'm happy :) Eat away I'd say!
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you look across the world at the countries that are in a constant state of war, such as the middle east, Israel, Lebanon, Egypt, and such, places where Judaism and Islam are the prevailing cultures, you'll find one thing in common. They don't eat pork. Look at countries such as Europe, North America, and South America they have one thing in common, they eat pork. Ipso Facto, if you eat pork you have peace! So lets all contribute to world peace and eat BACON!!!!!

For the humorously challenged, that is a joke, on no way intended to be put forth as gospel. Relax Bruce, laugh a little!!