Bacon (to eat or not to eat)

Options

Replies

• HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Does a little bacon hurt your diet?I don't eat it often, maybe 1-2 times per week. I refuse to eat turkey bacon. I can eat less bacon. I cook it in the oven vs stove top so that the grease falls off more. I've heard a lot of people say that they stay away from pork because pigs are dirty lol and for religious reasons. I don't get it. Should I really give up pork? Can pork hurt my weight loss even if its in moderation?

Not sure if this means anything or not but I would eat it every Sunday and my weight was pretty consistently coming off and some weeks like 2-3 pounds gone....then I went the last 2 weeks without bacon and my weight loss has been a lot slower...only 1 pound the last week and under 2 the week before....so me NOT eating bacon has actually appeared to slowed my weight loss....but of course I'd have to have it for the next few weeks then stop eating it for 2 weeks to see the results in order to come to proper conclusions...but since I don't eat ANY other processed meats and very little fatty meat through the week,,,like once per week or less....I will continue eating my bacon...as long as I remember to buy it lol
  • Onemoodycuss
    Onemoodycuss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Love this topic! Someone needs to write a book called "The Joy of Porking".

not sure what audience this book would attract.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    1.Pork is very fattening. Pork is one of the fattiest meats that you can consume. Eating pork continually will pack on the pounds much faster as compared with eating other lean meats like chicken and turkey. If you like bacon you're better off switching to turkey bacon as it is a healthier alternative.

2. Pigs are smarter then dogs. They have emotions and feel pain just like humans.

3. Pig skin is very similar in composition to human skin. It is said that pork even tastes like human flesh because of their similar biology. Back in the Middle Ages there was a time with autopsies on humans were not allowed. Medical students had to use pigs to practice on. This was done because the anatomy of a pig also has many other similarities to humans.

4. Toxins. A pig's body contains many toxins because they are bottom dwellers meaning they eat food which is devoid of nutrition (pig slop). They eat the left over junk and some pigs eat their own feces. These animals store massive amounts of toxins in their fat, which is then passed on to you if you eat it.

5. Pigs live in filth. Pigs roll around and live their lives in filth, mud, and feces. Pigs are like garbage disposals eating up every nasty thing they can find.

6. Influenza. Pigs carry a mutated influenza virus in their lungs which has been passed on to humans through consumption.

7. One of the biggest concerns with eating pork meat is trichinellosis or trichinosis. This is an infection that humans get from eating undercooked or uncooked pork that contains the larvae of the trichinella worm.

This worm parasite is very commonly found in pork. When the worm, most often living in cysts in the stomach, opens through stomach acids, its larvae are released into the body of the pig. These new worms make their homes in the muscles of the pig. Next stop? The unknowing human body who consumes this infected meat flesh. And while no one particularly wants to consume worms, trichinellosis is a serious illness that you should do virtually anything to avoid.

The only thing I got out of this post other than a facepalm for wrong info was that pigs are filthy *kitten* covered animals but they're smarter than dogs who DON'T like to sleep and stay where they crap. So, pigs are really really really smart but really really really $hitty and dumb. K! Got it! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I didn't know pork was red meat! I have so much to learn about eating healthy.

Pork is "the other white meat." Nope, not red meat. That's the food police talking. :laugh:

Actually, calling pork white meat is the advertisers talking. According to the USDA meat that is red when raw is red meat, even if it turns white when cooked. White meat are meats that are light when raw like turkey and chicken. Some poultry, such as duck, is also red meat.

So all meat is red, if you believe that nonsense. :laugh:

This is what comes of believing the USDA! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

According to some nutrition groups all land animal flesh is red meat, including chicken. But it's just semantics. Advertisers for the pork counsel (or whatever it's called) started advertising pork as white meat when the recommendation to eat more white, and less red, meat became popular. Before that, pork was always red meat.

It's all based on common misconceptions of what makes people healthy. People think chicken is healthier, ergo, lets make our meat sound like chicken. The USDA/FDA lie to us more than any advertiser.

It's not just the govt that thinks eating too much bacon or other cured meats or meats high in saturated fat can have health consequences.

Anything and everything "can have health consequences."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Pork is "the other white meat." Nope, not red meat. That's the food police talking. :laugh:

Actually, calling pork white meat is the advertisers talking. According to the USDA meat that is red when raw is red meat, even if it turns white when cooked. White meat are meats that are light when raw like turkey and chicken. Some poultry, such as duck, is also red meat.

According to some nutrition groups all land animal flesh is red meat, including chicken. But it's just semantics. Advertisers for the pork counsel (or whatever it's called) started advertising pork as white meat when the recommendation to eat more white, and less red, meat became popular. Before that, pork was always red meat.

It's all based on common misconceptions of what makes people healthy. People think chicken is healthier, ergo, lets make our meat sound like chicken. The USDA/FDA lie to us more than any advertiser.

It's not just the govt that thinks eating too much bacon or other cured meats or meats high in saturated fat can have health consequences.

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. But I would think it was obvious I was talking about the increased of risk of disease.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    This message brought to you by your Saskatchewan pork council.
    Fine advice indeed.

27739717_9617.jpg
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    sorry but unless you're eating bacon raw it will contains nothing harmful, i work next to a farm where there are cows under shelter (as it's winter) walking around in their own ****, humping each other and quite often ****ing on each other, i highly doubt this is different anywhere else unless farmers keep every cow in an individual pen and clean them all out every day, and yet beef is clean? every animal is dirty, thats why they have fur and skin which protects the meat inside so short of feeding a pig cyanide right before it keels over and dies then eat it you're not going to get disease from a notoriously clean animal compared to others
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Context and dosage. Context and dosage.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Hmm, I'm not sure about that. But I would think it was obvious I was talking about the increased of risk of disease.

Just breathing every day can be a problem for some people -- air pollution and all. Also, I think altering your lifestyle to avoid perceived health risks can potentially increase stress, thereby increasing risk for health problems associated with stress.

I like to take each day as it comes, live life to the fullest, for as long as the Lord lets me walk this earth. That means enjoying bacon, refined sugar, etc. without letting naysayers talk me out of it. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Just breathing every day can be a problem for some people -- air pollution and all. Also, I think altering your lifestyle to avoid perceived health risks can potentially increase stress, thereby increasing risk for health problems associated with stress.

I like to take each day as it comes, live life to the fullest, for as long as the Lord lets me walk this earth. That means enjoying bacon, refined sugar, etc. without letting naysayers talk me out of it. :flowerforyou:

Then that's what you should do. I'm not sure how your personal preferences really matter as far as risk of disease goes, but I never suggested anyone should or should not eat bacon (or anything else).
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

^^^ Good point!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    1.Pork is very fattening. Pork is one of the fattiest meats that you can consume. Eating pork continually will pack on the pounds much faster as compared with eating other lean meats like chicken and turkey. If you like bacon you're better off switching to turkey bacon as it is a healthier alternative.

2. Pigs are smarter then dogs. They have emotions and feel pain just like humans.

3. Pig skin is very similar in composition to human skin. It is said that pork even tastes like human flesh because of their similar biology. Back in the Middle Ages there was a time with autopsies on humans were not allowed. Medical students had to use pigs to practice on. This was done because the anatomy of a pig also has many other similarities to humans.

4. Toxins. A pig's body contains many toxins because they are bottom dwellers meaning they eat food which is devoid of nutrition (pig slop). They eat the left over junk and some pigs eat their own feces. These animals store massive amounts of toxins in their fat, which is then passed on to you if you eat it.

5. Pigs live in filth. Pigs roll around and live their lives in filth, mud, and feces. Pigs are like garbage disposals eating up every nasty thing they can find.

6. Influenza. Pigs carry a mutated influenza virus in their lungs which has been passed on to humans through consumption.

7. One of the biggest concerns with eating pork meat is trichinellosis or trichinosis. This is an infection that humans get from eating undercooked or uncooked pork that contains the larvae of the trichinella worm.

This worm parasite is very commonly found in pork. When the worm, most often living in cysts in the stomach, opens through stomach acids, its larvae are released into the body of the pig. These new worms make their homes in the muscles of the pig. Next stop? The unknowing human body who consumes this infected meat flesh. And while no one particularly wants to consume worms, trichinellosis is a serious illness that you should do virtually anything to avoid.

Does the person who posted this eat chicken? Chickens *kitten* everywhere. They are dirty, particularly if raised in close quarters for slaughter and not allowed to free range. I know someone who used to work in a fowl processing plant. They said "If you ever eat a whole turkey or chicken, WASH it." (P.S. when they're decapitated, they defecate. Do you think they wash that off before packaging? They didn't in the place he worked.)

And, duh, don't eat undercooked pork.
  • cookie83
    Options
    uncured bacon is much healthier (it doesn't taste any different), its the nitrates that are cancer causing/make bacon bad for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    add-bacon-to-everything.gif
  • bcattoes
    Options

Dosage? As in "too much"? Although according to the American Institute for Cancer Research, there is no safe amount of cured meats, including bacon.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=elements_red_processed_meat
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Why on earth refuse to eat turkey bacon? Its the shiz. 35 calories a slice! I like it more than regular bacon now- but i like mine flat and crispie. I even put it on pizza
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Dosage? As in "too much"? Although according to the American Institute for Cancer Research, there is no safe amount of cured meats, including bacon.

http://preventcancer.aicr.org/site/PageServer?pagename=elements_red_processed_meat

I forget the exact amount too have an intake of nitrates above the level studies have found correlation to increased cancer, but I beleive it was something like the equivalent to 45lbs of deli meats for a 200lb man or something of that nature
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm always confused how anyone can find a pig any dirtier than any other animal..especially a chicken...they're pretty gross too.

Then again...we aint eating the dang things whole...

Anyway, bacon. Yes. Eat it.

There are so many things in our every day lives that contain toxic chemicals...you bet your butt I'm going to enjoy bacon. Geesh.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

1. ) There are lots of lean cuts of pork. Besides...fat doesn't make you fat.

2.) So what...some places in the world eat dogs too.

3.) So what

4.) No

5.) No

6.) I eat pork all of the time and it's never given me the flu

7.) Who the **** eats undercooked pork?
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    I have 3 pieces of bacon every Sunday morning. It's my treat and I budget for it. Life without bacon just isn't worth living!

^This
    life without bacon-why bother?
    b best
    a and
    c crunchiest
    o oral
    n nourishment