Gee...I wonder why women have body issues...

Options

Replies

• MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    damn..
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    A little more makeup and perkier boobies.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

But in almost every one of them they're erasing curves. Curves are natural, but *sometimes* we're led to believe that we're fat if we don't look like a 12 year old boy...
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Erasing curves or erasing any signs of aging. Women with wrinkles are useless!

The Angelina Jolie GIF didn't load properly for me, so it just stayed in... well, I assume it's post-photoshop. Or maybe she is just that perfect... Hm.
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    But in almost every one of them they're erasing curves. Curves are natural, but *sometimes* we're led to believe that we're fat if we don't look like a 12 year old boy...

Agreed - altering is altering, regardless of the degree.

Judge your appearance on the responses you get from people in real life, not those in your head.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.
  • MM_1982
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.
  • MM_1982
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.

Glad I wasn't the only one!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    This is only body issue inducing if you don't think that this is all common for like.... every picture in every magazine, ever.

They look like three sizes off of Kelly Clarkson, geeze.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yep it's quite funny how different they look.
  • Rjsmith07
    Rjsmith07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

Average girls??? That was pretty low. You must be one that makes women feel that they should be better than they are. Looking at a picture on magazine does not cause me to strive to look like them especially when clearly its not reality. Anyone can look good in photoshop.
  • MM_1982
    Options

Average girls??? That was pretty low. You must be one that makes women feel that they should be better than they are. Looking at a picture on magazine does not cause me to strive to look like them especially when clearly its not reality. Anyone can look good in photoshop.

20155378.jpg
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't create body image issues for grown a$$ed women who realize, it's a lot of photoshopping. Personally I judge myself to my own standards and my own standards alone.
    Any body image issues I may have, have nothing to do with any woman I've seen in the media or on a magazine.

It only concerns me the body image issues that it creates in very young women/teens. That scares the crap out of me.
    However, I truly think great parenting should solve that.

The more young women are taught that strong and fit is great, that their minds and hearts are much more important than the aesthetics in the long run.. the better.
    It would be lovely if we were all fit with gorgeous faces. But we aren't all alike.
  • Rjsmith07
    Rjsmith07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

20155378.jpg

Nope, not mad at all, just think that was pretty low of you. I see on your profile you would like to land a cute girl... hmm not with the attitude thinking a woman is average just bc shes not on a magazine cover. Good luck with that!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

Not quite. They turned 10s into something completely unrealistic and unattainable.

In real life, everyone has some degree of pores, eye sockets, nasolabial folds, unruly tufts of hair, and various lumps, bumps and creases in the skin and clothes when in certain positions. It's a sad world when editors feel Katy Perry's spectacular boobs need "enhancing." :noway:
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    there are some fairly significant body modifications going on - making ribcages smaller bums perkier boobs better
    i think there should be disclaimers on all photos

it did remind me of this spoof makeup advert/ photoshop advert
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8lNToO8CMA
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Those aren't huge changes. They're photos for magazines and such. Why does this surprise so many? These people's jobs are to look a specific way..and they're beautiful to begin with. It's the reader who needs to decide whether or not they want to aim for that look...and to use common sense that a lot of this is glitz and sparkles and that these things are indeed photoshopped. They ALL are...men, women, children...any pic you see is photoshopped to a degree.

I am aiming to look like the best ME...whatever that may be.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options

I think the point is that the girls on the magazine are not "perfection" they are "impossible" - if they happened in the real world, then no alterations, or enhancements would be needed. I don't know if abs or musculature are doctored for Men's Health or not, so i don['t know to what degree men are subjected to the same photo manipulaiton
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    No....has nothing to do with magazines....all those women are already beautiful w/o photoshop