Gee...I wonder why women have body issues...

Options

Replies

• KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The Kelly Clarkson one makes me the angriest....... >:[
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Yes. and clearly this is just an issue with woman. If only men could be more accepting like women. Like just the other day I heard a group of woman talking about how gross all those tight ripped guys were in twilight. Then they kept saying, 'If only I could find man as sexy as Kevin James, then I'd be happy'. Oh yeah, you ladies are totally discriminated against

lol fair point

i think PSing happens on both genders massively in the media, do any of us serously go out looking for an airbrushed partner? it's just a picture, i don't look at any of those and think omg that's better (other than britney and madonna) they're amasing looking without PSing and with it they become more unobtainable and unrealistic, i don't look at megan fox with PSing and think i'll be finding one that looks like her tomorrow! or for that matter without

any bloke that does and is expecting to bump into an airbrushed megan fox lookalike is probably going to be alone for a long, long, long time so why worry?
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yes. and clearly this is just an issue with woman. If only men could be more accepting like women. Like just the other day I heard a group of woman talking about how gross all those tight ripped guys were in twilight. Then they kept saying, 'If only I could find man as sexy as Kevin James, then I'd be happy'. Oh yeah, you ladies are totally discriminated against

Actually, I've always gone for the "teddy bear" type. :smile:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    314px-David_von_Michelangelo.jpg

Body shaming has been going on since the 1500s.

Dude is totally ripped! LOOK HOW UNREALISTICALLY BIG HIS HANDS ARE! They're bigger than his head, WHICH IS HUGE TOO! How can I compete with this? :sad:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

Katy_Perry_Elmo.gif

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif

perfect combination of cute, hot and quirky!
  • Cocoapuff717
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks it terrible that they erased a belly-button freckle? I mean really?! How freaking cute is a belly button freckle?!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

Agreed for some of it. They are very beautiful women who only look a little more polished when they're photoshopped. However, if even what we consider to be the most beautiful women are having bags under their eyes removed, a tiny trace of a stomach roll (simply because she's hunched over), and any natural blemishes removed, it really shows that the average person can't attain it. So we try for magazine perfection that no one, not even the girl in the photo can get, and then are depressed and feel bad about our own bodies when we can't get there.

I think blaming magazines is a cop out. Especially now when so many before photoshop pictures are being released.

If someone feels bad about themselves, their first step is to stop blaming other people and the media for it. Then focus on themselves and better themselves for themselves. See what I'm saying? Not for anyone else.
    Being truly confident doesn't mean you're in the best shape ever, it means NOT comparing yourself and accepting yourself, flaws and all

That's fine and true for adults, or should be even if it isn't, but those magazines sell very well to children. And body image issues tend to start in childhood.

But what can you do? Our societies are obsessed with appearance and to some extent so is our species. It's sad but it's a war against both biology and a whole lot of money made by a collection of industries that has gotten rich convincing us we aren't good enough.

Also, they make money telling us we stink.

Ok once again, instead of blaming media, look to the parents.

I tell my daughter daily that she is beautiful and I don't have those kinds of magazines around for her to look at.
    By working out and eating healthy, I'm teaching her the importance of being strong and healthy.

Too often ppl blame video games, tv, movies, magazines, etc etc for kids behavior or mentality but what about the parents??
    Monitor your damn kids and lead by example. If a mother presents a confident, healthy, realistic front for her daughter, the daughter will follow suite. I have also explained that movies are PRETEND and so is tv. Talk to your kids....that simple

And yes, appearance does mean a lot but it is so wrong to want to look nice? Most of use shower daily, do our hair, do our make up and why? I wear make up b/c I like the way I look with it on. It's not to impress anyone else. I try to dress nice b/c it makes ME feel good.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    What strikes me as funny is that this is AFTER hours of hair and makeup, with a professional photographer and perfect lighting. And the photos STILL need that much editing.

I think it would seriously bum me out if I were a celebrity and they felt the need to take out everything that makes me an individual.

Yeah, when they altered the hair flipping in one of the Britney Spears' Candi shots, I was thinking, "Er, why not take another shot but fix her hair?" Of course, they might have noticed after the fact...

That being said, the whole "stripping of individuality" is why I think photoshopping has become so obvious that it's bizarre if anyone still views them as "real." We know the freckles, moles, scars, etc. that these celebrities have; those aren't covered up in the 10x more paparazzi shots that exist of them, those are apparent in the movies or concerts we seem them in, etc. When those individualistic things get obliterated, it's kind of a, "Who does anybody think they're kidding here?"

I noticed the mole thing. Why did they erase Meghan Fox's mole? It was cute.
  • Cocoapuff717
    Options

Actually, I've always gone for the "teddy bear" type. :smile:

Same!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Erasing curves or erasing any signs of aging. Women with wrinkles are useless!

The Angelina Jolie GIF didn't load properly for me, so it just stayed in... well, I assume it's post-photoshop. Or maybe she is just that perfect... Hm.

Right click on the picture and hit "open in new tab/window", the really only altered her complexion. I also was surprised at how little Britney was altered.

The second one is hilarious, it looks like she's pushing her boobies up and down :laugh:
    They also really altered her eye color.
  • ColeyBear08
    ColeyBear08 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

The bottom line is: body image issues in this country are getting worse and worse and any amount of photoshop is not helping. The age of eating disorders in our culture is getting lower and lower! Some cases as low as 4-5 years old!!! So to anyone to push issues like this by the ways side, please PLEASE think again. It's a sad sad day when we are treating TODDLERS for EDs!
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

Katy_Perry_Elmo.gif

I approve of this gif.

Just gunna repost since we obviously need this to keep happening.

And yes, magazines are supposed to show the ideal, something to pinup on the wall whether male or female. Just like statues or paintings before. Everyone should know there is photoshop involved, just like there was airbrushing and makeup and lighting tricks before.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I find myself having more body issues by coming here and seeing all these lovely ladies that have lost beaucoups amount of weight and look fabulous.... flaunting their buff pics everywhere.... Than I ever did and do while looking at a magazine.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    All this teaches me is to get better at photoshop.................
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Agreed for some of it. They are very beautiful women who only look a little more polished when they're photoshopped. However, if even what we consider to be the most beautiful women are having bags under their eyes removed, a tiny trace of a stomach roll (simply because she's hunched over), and any natural blemishes removed, it really shows that the average person can't attain it. So we try for magazine perfection that no one, not even the girl in the photo can get, and then are depressed and feel bad about our own bodies when we can't get there.

I think blaming magazines is a cop out. Especially now when so many before photoshop pictures are being released.

If someone feels bad about themselves, their first step is to stop blaming other people and the media for it. Then focus on themselves and better themselves for themselves. See what I'm saying? Not for anyone else.
    Being truly confident doesn't mean you're in the best shape ever, it means NOT comparing yourself and accepting yourself, flaws and all

That's fine and true for adults, or should be even if it isn't, but those magazines sell very well to children. And body image issues tend to start in childhood.

But what can you do? Our societies are obsessed with appearance and to some extent so is our species. It's sad but it's a war against both biology and a whole lot of money made by a collection of industries that has gotten rich convincing us we aren't good enough.

Also, they make money telling us we stink.

Ok once again, instead of blaming media, look to the parents.

I tell my daughter daily that she is beautiful and I don't have those kinds of magazines around for her to look at.
    By working out and eating healthy, I'm teaching her the importance of being strong and healthy.

Too often ppl blame video games, tv, movies, magazines, etc etc for kids behavior or mentality but what about the parents??
    Monitor your damn kids and lead by example. If a mother presents a confident, healthy, realistic front for her daughter, the daughter will follow suite. I have also explained that movies are PRETEND and so is tv. Talk to your kids....that simple

And yes, appearance does mean a lot but it is so wrong to want to look nice? Most of use shower daily, do our hair, do our make up and why? I wear make up b/c I like the way I look with it on. It's not to impress anyone else. I try to dress nice b/c it makes ME feel good.

Well best home school then, because once kids hit the teenage years you only have so much influence over them compared to their peers, and I guarantee their peers are reading these magazines and bringing them to school.

Perhaps schools should ban them? They certainly aren't needed for study.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

Average girls??? That was pretty low. You must be one that makes women feel that they should be better than they are. Looking at a picture on magazine does not cause me to strive to look like them especially when clearly its not reality. Anyone can look good in photoshop.

20155378.jpg

Nope, not mad at all, just think that was pretty low of you. I see on your profile you would like to land a cute girl... hmm not with the attitude thinking a woman is average just bc shes not on a magazine cover. Good luck with that!

Yup.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    314px-David_von_Michelangelo.jpg

Body shaming has been going on since the 1500s.

Dude is totally ripped! LOOK HOW UNREALISTICALLY BIG HIS HANDS ARE! They're bigger than his head, WHICH IS HUGE TOO! How can I compete with this? :sad:

Yes. But the wiener is quite unspectacular... photoshop would have turned him into Dirk Digler
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you are aiming to look like a magazine cover then you can't be too bright. We all know its tweaked.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Oh boo. Maybe if parents took the time to teach their children about self esteem and healthy body image, everyone wouldn't be so quick to point the finger of blame at magazines/ads/commercials.

Anyone ever remember that PSA where the model went from being average to drop dead gorgeous? I'm pretty sure it was Cindy Crawford. My mother made it a point to show that to me regularly when I was a child. She made it a point to reinforce the idea that while models and celebrities ARE gorgeous, they're not nearly as perfect as magazine covers would lead you to believe.

She also reinforced the idea that one's insides are infinitely more gorgeous than their outsides. Now THERE'S a concept.

These women are EXPECTED to look perfect. Let's be honest, if they magazine ran the unphotoshopped Kim K. picture, no one would be saying "OMG FINALLY SHE LOOKS SO REAL." They'd be saying, "Daaaammmmnn, girl's letting herself go." Magazines photoshop and perfect their images because that's what the consumer WANTS.

Do I think some of the images are overly photoshopped? Yes. But for the most part, they're already gorgeous women who've just been glossed over. Nothing to get upset about.

Teach your children that this is the norm, that magazine covers and ads AREN'T how those women look day to day, and maybe, just maybe, there won't be such an issue.

Stop passing the blame.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

The bottom line is: body image issues in this country are getting worse and worse and any amount of photoshop is not helping. The age of eating disorders in our culture is getting lower and lower! Some cases as low as 4-5 years old!!! So to anyone to push issues like this by the ways side, please PLEASE think again. It's a sad sad day when we are treating TODDLERS for EDs!

That has a LOT to do with those Toddlers parents, particularly their mothers going around the house in front of their toddlers saying "I'm fat" I'm such a (insert large animal here)" and other disparaging comments about themselves and then weighing themselves constantly... as well as "dieting". Toddlers want to be like their parents, so they mimic what they see.