Gee...I wonder why women have body issues...

Options

Replies

• IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    makes me thankful my last photo shoot wasn't Photoshopped... but, those ladies were already 10's.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Man, the amount of gaslighting in this thread is pretty amazing given it's not even a page long yet.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

Agreed for some of it. They are very beautiful women who only look a little more polished when they're photoshopped. However, if even what we consider to be the most beautiful women are having bags under their eyes removed, a tiny trace of a stomach roll (simply because she's hunched over), and any natural blemishes removed, it really shows that the average person can't attain it. So we try for magazine perfection that no one, not even the girl in the photo can get, and then are depressed and feel bad about our own bodies when we can't get there.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Erasing curves or erasing any signs of aging. Women with wrinkles are useless!

The Angelina Jolie GIF didn't load properly for me, so it just stayed in... well, I assume it's post-photoshop. Or maybe she is just that perfect... Hm.

Right click on the picture and hit "open in new tab/window", the really only altered her complexion. I also was surprised at how little Britney was altered.

The second one is hilarious, it looks like she's pushing her boobies up and down :laugh:
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i've seen one of these where they photoshopped out someone's ARMPIT fat. how are we supposed to compete with that? ignoring the media bombardment of what a woman's body should look like is easier said than done. even if i don't read a bunch of magazines with those photos, i still see the women on the red carpet whose stomachs are flat, partly because they work out and eat right, and partly because they've had their entire colon evaculated and are wearing spanx in order to be as thin as possible. there's still the fact that it's nearly impossible to be a successful actress (in a lead role, at least) if you're over a size 6. when people think that kate upton is fat (yeah, that's a thread on here right now) even WITH all that photoshop, how are the rest of us supposed to combat that without completely withdrawing from the media world?
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The more young women are taught that strong and fit is great, that their minds and hearts are much more important than the aesthetics in the long run.. the better.

^^^ This! Hopefully we can start creating a new generation of women that are exercising and eating right for the purpose of being healthy and not for some ideal body type.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    lets be real here.... the madonna one and britney one were pretty shocking lol.... those are not 9.5s....
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

I think the problem is you are striving for something that is not anatomically possible (even for the person you see it on).
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Erasing curves or erasing any signs of aging. Women with wrinkles are useless!

The Angelina Jolie GIF didn't load properly for me, so it just stayed in... well, I assume it's post-photoshop. Or maybe she is just that perfect... Hm.

That was the most bizarre one because the major change they made was giving her a dark iris ring. Strange.

Anyway, I just want real life photoshop to touch me up every few frames as I go through my day. :laugh:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

Average girls??? That was pretty low. You must be one that makes women feel that they should be better than they are. Looking at a picture on magazine does not cause me to strive to look like them especially when clearly its not reality. Anyone can look good in photoshop.

20155378.jpg

not mad..you do come off a bit arrogant.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I like watching Kelly Clarkson's *kitten* go BLAM! Wanna squeeze it.

(and women shouldn't have body issues from altered magazine pictures because it's what inside that counts and everyone is beautiful in their own way and should be celebrated as such)

Seriously dat *kitten*!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Haha. I can't tell which one is supposed to be "better" on most/all of these.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I spent like ten minutes watching Katy Perry's boobs grow and shrink.

Glad I wasn't the only one!

Lol, I did that to all of them, watching their boobs become amazing was fantastic!!! /yeshomo
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

Agreed for some of it. They are very beautiful women who only look a little more polished when they're photoshopped. However, if even what we consider to be the most beautiful women are having bags under their eyes removed, a tiny trace of a stomach roll (simply because she's hunched over), and any natural blemishes removed, it really shows that the average person can't attain it. So we try for magazine perfection that no one, not even the girl in the photo can get, and then are depressed and feel bad about our own bodies when we can't get there.

I think blaming magazines is a cop out. Especially now when so many before photoshop pictures are being released.

If someone feels bad about themselves, their first step is to stop blaming other people and the media for it. Then focus on themselves and better themselves for themselves. See what I'm saying? Not for anyone else.
    Being truly confident doesn't mean you're in the best shape ever, it means NOT comparing yourself and accepting yourself, flaws and all
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I think what is interesting is what gets changed - not so much the big photoshop issue
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yes. and clearly this is just an issue with woman. If only men could be more accepting like women. Like just the other day I heard a group of woman talking about how gross all those tight ripped guys were in twilight. Then they kept saying, 'If only I could find man as sexy as Kevin James, then I'd be happy'. Oh yeah, you ladies are totally discriminated against
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I think blaming magazines is a cop out. Especially now when so many before photoshop pictures are being released.

If someone feels bad about themselves, their first step is to stop blaming other people and the media for it. Then focus on themselves and better themselves for themselves. See what I'm saying? Not for anyone else.
    Being truly confident doesn't mean you're in the best shape ever, it means NOT comparing yourself and accepting yourself, flaws and all

Agreed.

Also, its a WIDELY known fact that there are major editing efforts put into nearly EVERY published photo. We all know its not realistic so why even compare anymore?
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, Madonna is quite haggard looking
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Those are very minor modifications. Depending on angel and lighting we can *all* look really good or really bad. A little photoshop just helps to sell the magazine.

coming from someone with pretty bad body dysmorphia.....*this* particular link does not bother me in the least. They Dove commercial was far more interesting and shocking.

Its an industry these people get into. they need to be beyond perfect. We all know its not attainable so just strive to be the best you....why try to be like someone elsse??