Gee...I wonder why women have body issues...

Options

Replies

• WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yes. and clearly this is just an issue with woman. If only men could be more accepting like women. Like just the other day I heard a group of woman talking about how gross all those tight ripped guys were in twilight. Then they kept saying, 'If only I could find man as sexy as Kevin James, then I'd be happy'. Oh yeah, you ladies are totally discriminated against

Actually, I've always gone for the "teddy bear" type. :smile:

Same!

And I've always gone for the non Photoshopped kinda girl so i guess by this survey on both our ends being the be all end all to this argument I'd say there is no issue at all. So what's the problem?
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    i think the Beyonce and Penelope Cruz images are the most interesting and telling. bey's got a roll - but we can never see that in an image of her, which is disappointing, because it's REAL. Penelope Cruz's before picture makes it clear her ribs are wider than her bust - but the after shot makes her into an hourglass that doesn't physically exist on her body.

I can't "aspire" to be something that isn't possible.

I'm a grown woman who's aware that image burnishing is going to happen - and smoothing someone's skin or removing stray hairs is one thing. Removing ribs, changing actual shapes and skeletal structure is something else entirely. There's no way to know what's been editedin porst-production when looking at an image, just a niggling sense of "this is not relatable or real." It's pretty insane to gaslight women about it when there is no standard for WHAT is changed in image retouching.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, mascara ads really piss me off. :grumble:
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yeahhhhhhhhhhh. OK. So it's the same for guys. The picture on the front of the underwear I buy is a guy that's carved out of wood with a six pack. Sure those guys are out there but I'd say it's not the majority of the male population. The real problem is women place an INSANE amount of imporantance on fashion and appearance to the point where appearance becomes an official hobby. If you really want to get rid of your body issues stop following trends and stop reading these garbage magazines. You're brainwashing yourselves ladies. No sympathy here.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.
    Almost anyone can get abs if they eat and exercise for it. However some of those images aren't physically possible. You can't be a size 2 and have huge breasts unless you had some surgical help. Sometimes the width of the waist is completely unrealistic. If they just kept it sane and human, maybe I would have no problem with that.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

Teach your children that this is the norm, that magazine covers and ads AREN'T how those women look day to day, and maybe, just maybe, there won't be such an issue.

Stop passing the blame.

I don't see it as much as passing the blame as the publishers being unethical. Kind of like when you get a horsey Whopper from Burger King and it looks NOTHING like in the commercials. False advertising!

74f950132847902d9000c742c1c4031c.jpg
  • Rjsmith07
    Rjsmith07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If I want to see average girls, I'll just go outside and look around. I think magazine covers are a nice escape from reality where you can see perfection.

It also gives everyone something to shoot for. When I real Men's Health and see the guys with the perfect abs, it gives me something to strive for. I use it as motivation more than anything else.

Average girls??? That was pretty low. You must be one that makes women feel that they should be better than they are. Looking at a picture on magazine does not cause me to strive to look like them especially when clearly its not reality. Anyone can look good in photoshop.

20155378.jpg

Nope, not mad at all, just think that was pretty low of you. I see on your profile you would like to land a cute girl... hmm not with the attitude thinking a woman is average just bc shes not on a magazine cover. Good luck with that!

Yup.
    Enjoy your relationship with magazine women. That's probably the best you'll get.

BAHAHAHAHA THAT WAS HILARIOUS!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

Agreed for some of it. They are very beautiful women who only look a little more polished when they're photoshopped. However, if even what we consider to be the most beautiful women are having bags under their eyes removed, a tiny trace of a stomach roll (simply because she's hunched over), and any natural blemishes removed, it really shows that the average person can't attain it. So we try for magazine perfection that no one, not even the girl in the photo can get, and then are depressed and feel bad about our own bodies when we can't get there.

I think blaming magazines is a cop out. Especially now when so many before photoshop pictures are being released.

If someone feels bad about themselves, their first step is to stop blaming other people and the media for it. Then focus on themselves and better themselves for themselves. See what I'm saying? Not for anyone else.
    Being truly confident doesn't mean you're in the best shape ever, it means NOT comparing yourself and accepting yourself, flaws and all

That's fine and true for adults, or should be even if it isn't, but those magazines sell very well to children. And body image issues tend to start in childhood.

But what can you do? Our societies are obsessed with appearance and to some extent so is our species. It's sad but it's a war against both biology and a whole lot of money made by a collection of industries that has gotten rich convincing us we aren't good enough.

Also, they make money telling us we stink.

Ok once again, instead of blaming media, look to the parents.

I tell my daughter daily that she is beautiful and I don't have those kinds of magazines around for her to look at.
    By working out and eating healthy, I'm teaching her the importance of being strong and healthy.

Too often ppl blame video games, tv, movies, magazines, etc etc for kids behavior or mentality but what about the parents??
    Monitor your damn kids and lead by example. If a mother presents a confident, healthy, realistic front for her daughter, the daughter will follow suite. I have also explained that movies are PRETEND and so is tv. Talk to your kids....that simple

And yes, appearance does mean a lot but it is so wrong to want to look nice? Most of use shower daily, do our hair, do our make up and why? I wear make up b/c I like the way I look with it on. It's not to impress anyone else. I try to dress nice b/c it makes ME feel good.

Well best home school then, because once kids hit the teenage years you only have so much influence over them compared to their peers, and I guarantee their peers are reading these magazines and bringing them to school.

Perhaps schools should ban them? They certainly aren't needed for study.

Not necessarily... aren't there studies out there that tell us that teenagers that have a meal with their family have higher self-esteem? I recall there being a few out there.... Kids that have a strong family unit will be less likely to fall into these social traps.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    well, you should keep wondering...cuz, using stuff like this as an excuse is pretty lame
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Why can't we just use the real photos?

That is what I was thinking. Why do we need to create "fake" celebrities.... Let MEN and children realize this is not what you could be or what you could have... even the beautiful celebrities get "retouched"..
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Not necessarily... aren't there studies out there that tell us that teenagers that have a meal with their family have higher self-esteem? I recall there being a few out there.... Kids that have a strong family unit will be less likely to fall into these social traps.

I'm not saying don't try or that you will have no influence. I'm saying that it isn't going to be possible to completely eradicate these influences from the lives of kids or adults.

I agree with those who say teach them show them that these images aren't even real. The internet is great for that. I hope a lot of teenage girls and boys see these.

And I was serious about banning bringing these magazines to school. Why allow it? They're a frivolous distraction.

Also someone else in this thread said anyone who looks at magazines and bases their self-esteem on it isn't too bright. Well I've got a decently above average IQ and I've been fighting EDs since my teens. So whoever said that, you have no clue what you're talking about.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    you women feel pissed, imagine how pissed they must be having their arses sucked in a few inches and chest enhanced etc etc lol
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Must not have a preeteen/teen daughter. Trust me your thoughts will change when you do.
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    That was meant for the guy who said if he wanted average girls hed look outside. It didnt quote for some reason.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, mascara ads really piss me off. :grumble:

I swear I had read somewhere that they had to start putting disclaimers if false lashes were used but have never seen one on a print ad.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

While I think this is the most asstastic way to say this...there is a point here...somewhere...

Magazine covers...fantasy.

I don't think any girl on the street is just average however...that wording is just...lame. Nor do I think someone on a magazine cover is necessarily "perfection"...that is all in the eye of the beholder. Any person that lives walking around looking for someone that looks like a magazine cover is a doofus.

..... who will most likely die alone...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Those are very slight photo-shopped corrections. They are just turning a 9.5 into a 10. NBD.

The bottom line is: body image issues in this country are getting worse and worse and any amount of photoshop is not helping. The age of eating disorders in our culture is getting lower and lower! Some cases as low as 4-5 years old!!! So to anyone to push issues like this by the ways side, please PLEASE think again. It's a sad sad day when we are treating TODDLERS for EDs!

That has a LOT to do with those Toddlers parents, particularly their mothers going around the house in front of their toddlers saying "I'm fat" I'm such a (insert large animal here)" and other disparaging comments about themselves and then weighing themselves constantly... as well as "dieting". Toddlers want to be like their parents, so they mimic what they see.

That is one theory but that doesn't account for all cases of early development of EDs. Plus, where do you think the parents are getting there unrealistic body image issues from??? The media. So the children are indirectly learning this media constructed view of perfection.

Also, notice that I didn't say this is the ONLY contributer. I said, and I quote verbatim: "any amount of photoshop is not helping."

It is still the parents responsibility to not pass down their body issues to their children.... children that young are more likely to learn it from their family members or their peers (who are in turn learning it from THEIR family members)... Whether directly or indirectly.

I just don't think that photoshop is this whole root cause of evil that everyone believes it is... but then, like I said in my initial post I have quite a few photographer friends that use it as just one more tool in their box... just like light, make up, clothing, and posing...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

The bottom line is: body image issues in this country are getting worse and worse and any amount of photoshop is not helping. The age of eating disorders in our culture is getting lower and lower! Some cases as low as 4-5 years old!!! So to anyone to push issues like this by the ways side, please PLEASE think again. It's a sad sad day when we are treating TODDLERS for EDs!

That has a LOT to do with those Toddlers parents, particularly their mothers going around the house in front of their toddlers saying "I'm fat" I'm such a (insert large animal here)" and other disparaging comments about themselves and then weighing themselves constantly... as well as "dieting". Toddlers want to be like their parents, so they mimic what they see.

That is one theory but that doesn't account for all cases of early development of EDs. Plus, where do you think the parents are getting there unrealistic body image issues from??? The media. So the children are indirectly learning this media constructed view of perfection.

Also, notice that I didn't say this is the ONLY contributer. I said, and I quote verbatim: "any amount of photoshop is not helping."

A huge portion of early development EDs come from, believe it or not, disordered eating. Which gets brought up for debate on MFP all the type ("good" vs. "bad', moderation vs. completely cut out, lack of understanding of nutrition, etc.). I've read the same research that has found that certain body "depictions" effect young children, but all acknowledge that it's simplistic to just blame one thing for an ED.
  • Rjsmith07
    Rjsmith07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Must not have a preeteen/teen daughter. Trust me your thoughts will change when you do.

I really hope with that attitude he never has a daughter bc apparently she will never be good enough or maybe he will just pay for her plastic surgery all her life.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I don't think the issue here is really blame or using it as an excuse, or whatever else can be put out there to say "Hey, it's ok, it's cool, you're being oversensitive."

But that said, why do adult humans have body issues, if there's nothing to the media portrayal of what adult humans look like?