Cilantro. Why?

Options

Replies

• blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yummy in pico.... Death Weed everywhere else!

This for sure. It has it's place and 99.9% of the time that place is anywhere I'm not.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    fun fact -- this is a genetic thing. for some people, cilantro tastes awesome. i guess? i don't know, to other people (myself included) cilantro tastes like soap. it isn't a matter of personal preference, it's just some newfangled mouth chemistry.

Yep. Genetic and I love it. :laugh:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/09/14/161057954/love-to-hate-cilantro-its-in-your-genes-and-maybe-in-your-head
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    fun fact -- this is a genetic thing. for some people, cilantro tastes awesome. i guess? i don't know, to other people (myself included) cilantro tastes like soap. it isn't a matter of personal preference, it's just some newfangled mouth chemistry.

i hate cilantro. my brother hates cilantro. my grandmother hates cilantro. if you dislike it, ask your family members. it's totally hereditary.

Nope, my family has disproven your theory. My aunt and I LOVE cilantro. My Mom and uncle HATE cilantro. I doubt that most of my other family even knows what it is. lol

I'm guessing some of your family members have different colored eyes, hair, heights, etc.

Not everyone gets all the genetics. You and your aunt got the gene that likes cilantro. Your mom and uncle didn't.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-09-genetic-link-cilantro-coriander.html

Exactly ... genes aren't always expressed the same way for all people. I forgot if my mom hates or loves cilantro, but most of my family members dislike it. Thanks for sharing the link!

Also it's crazy how people either LOVE or HATE cilantro, but few people are just "meh" about it.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Cilantro is the best herb ever.

I beg to differ
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i would bathe with it if I could.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    and i really can't believe that the majority of you have never tasted soap! i'm only 24 and i've had my mouth washed with soap as a child as a punishment for cursing ... i've also accidentally eaten decorative soaps shaped like hearts (i thought they were candy) ... i've also intentionally tasted soap and lotions that have smelled so awesome i figured they'd taste pretty good too (wrong).

i can understand if the younger generations haven't had such experiences (since nowadays you can't even look at a kid funny because that's "abuse"), but i'd be shocked to find out that some of the older people on here never tasted soap.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Don't hate on cilantro just because your tastebuds fail at life. :indifferent:
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I <3 Cilantro.......
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: cilantro!!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    It's awesome, shut up.

It's putrid. I would rather eat that dead duck fetus thing.

Can we watch?
  • robjenga
    robjenga Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    G. Ross.
  • donthegeek
    donthegeek Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It is so yummy in salsa and posole. Mmmm, almost losing my willpower.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I love cilantro! Put some cilantro on my cilantro, dipped in cilantro, please.

yep! And I love culantro...thank God I dont have that genetic predisposition to it tasting soapy cause we use it ALOT!!!! Including in recaito and sofrito.
  • toxicsgrl
    Options
    we call it Coriander in the UK. And i also dont like it!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    nakeddavidtennantOHYES_zpscdbe68df.gif
    ^^ This is awesome! :drinker:

But count me in the anti-cilantro crowd - can't stand the stuff.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I plan to eat about 18 calories of the stuff today.

That's, what, like 8 cups, right?
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Love it! Had checken breast with home made salsa,low fat cheese and extra cilantro for lunch
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Haha, I love cilantro, but the death weed thing made me chuckle!!
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    :heart: cilantro!

Its especially awesome in my tequila lime, shrimp tacos!!!! MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm

(yes, made with REAL tequila too)
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i read in a fitness magazine not too long ago (it wasn't on the internet, so i don't know if it was true or not - LOL) that cilantro tasted delicious to some people, to others it tastes like soap. it's entirely genetic, and there doesn't seem to be any middle ground. i love me some cilantro, but to my brother it's nasty. i've tried to grow it 5 times, but my cat keeps eating it. she also ate the oregano and the tarragon.