Stop the Fat Bashing!

Options
Time for a rant so if you don't want to see complaining- don't read it! :)

I'm so sick of the looks I get because I'm trying to be healthier. At 245 lbs, if I were eating a hamburger and fries I'd get looks from people because I shouldn't be eating like that in my condition. "Try a salad fatty!" is what their eyes say. We've grown up to accept that and to expect. What I absolutely hate is the people who stare at me (and others) who are trying to do better for themselves like they're worthless too. Either way I'm screwed! If I'm fat and getting fatter I'm criticized. If I'm fat and trying to get healthy I'm a poser.

Every Tuesday and Thursday I wear fitted workout pants/capris and a t-shirt to class because I go to the gym before I go to campus. I get looks each and everyday like I shouldn't be wearing fitted clothes and at this point I really don't care. I'm wearing these clothes because I've already been to the gym burning a ton of calories before most of these people have even woken up. Get over it! I fill up my plate with tons of veggies and lean proteins at school and people look at it like me like "Why are you even trying that? You know you want that greasy pizza!"

Either way I'm rocking these pants and making my body healthy so think what you want. :)

/rant

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Bashing of every form will always happen, rant away, no one will listen.
  • JustMyImagiNAYtion
    Options
    sounds like you didnt need to rant.. You already got it figured out! You go girl!

-from a felllow REAL women.. haha :)
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    YOU GO GIRL!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    sounds like you didnt need to rant.. You already got it figured out! You go girl!

Please explain the "Real woman" comment. I'm interested.
  • Macgeek74
    Macgeek74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We all are here for you so dont ever worry about ranting. Rant away.
  • sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Keep doing your thing! Theres always gonna be people like that, ignor and drive on!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

What makes a real women vs a fake one? I don't get it.
  • livetomove
    Options
    I'm curious about the "Real Woman" comment as well.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options

What makes a real women vs a fake one? I don't get it.

Humungous knockers.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are interpreting people LOOKING at you in a negative way.

I'll be honest....you need to change your mindset.
  • jnichel
    Options

Please explain the "Real woman" comment. I'm interested.

You can only be a REAL woman if you're overweight, oh wait, sorry, I mean 'curvy'. Otherwise you're 'bones' and 'need to eat a cheeseburger'.

I like cheeseburgers. I like women. Bacon.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

mayhaps I'm fake?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Maybe you only think people are looking at you? I can't speak for everyone but at the gym I almost never really put much thought in to what anyone is wearing unless they're overly oddly dressed (working out in jeans, flip flops, prostitute level skimpy outfit, etc).
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with you complaining or ranting, but everything in your post was literally about the "stares" you get from other people. It's possible insecurities leach out and attach themselves to the eyes of other people. Someone might be looking at you without even seeing you because they're zoned out. Someone might look at your food because they're hungry too.

Is it possible that people are intentionally giving you disdainful looks? Yes, it is... but your entire rant is about all these different scenarios of what *you* think people are thinking. That's a dangerous game, to make assumptions like that.

Hell, someone else might come in and say, "Stop the fat bashing! Don't avert your eyes from me just because of my weight!"

Perception can be a real b.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about the "Real Woman" comment as well.

It's like with boobs. If you can touch them they're real.
  • jnichel
    Options

mayhaps I'm fake?

Do you like cheeseburgers?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    In all fairness, you're right, at least on my end, but it generally only happens in extreme situations. I watched a lady damned near hit one of our guys in a work zone one day because she was stuffing her face with a cheeseburger, and if her car had have been a manual, the side of her gut would probably keep knocking it out of gear. So yeah, in that case, I was staring with a "Jesus Christ heifer, put down the BK" thought in my head.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with you complaining or ranting, but everything in your post was literally about the "stares" you get from other people. It's possible insecurities leach out and attach themselves to the eyes of other people. Someone might be looking at you without even seeing you because they're zoned out. Someone might look at your food because they're hungry too.

Is it possible that people are intentionally giving you disdainful looks? Yes, it is... but your entire rant is about all these different scenarios of what *you* think people are thinking. That's a dangerous game, to make assumptions like that.

Hell, someone else might come in and say, "Stop the fat bashing! Don't avert your eyes from me just because of my weight!"

Perception can be a real b.

^This
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I see larger individuals at the gym period I have nothing but respect. I truely never think "Wow she shouldn't be wearing that"...I think "That's really awesome that he/she is here too"...

I know you may have a complex, as I was a lot larger once too. But not everyone out there is thinking evil thoughts hun. Most people probably respect the fact that you are doing you!! ;-)
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    A. Keep rocking it.

B. Maybe you're reading too much into people's glances? I can be fairly unobservant, but I don't ever notice people staring at me oddly no matter what I'm eating or wearing on my way to/from the gym. Don't sweat it!