Stop the Fat Bashing!

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Don't fret....just go buy some.

knocker1.jpg

That's probably one of the most awesome knockers I have ever seen.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Don't fret....just go buy some.

knocker1.jpg

That's probably one of the most awesome knockers I have ever seen.

Ring.jpg
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Please, teach me how to read minds.

Maybe you had a booger, or perhaps your fly was down. Maybe you looked like that ***** that cut them off the other day.

Well put. Unless you can read minds, you can't be sure what those people were thinking. I know when I see somebody obese working out, I look at it as motivation and cheer them on (in my head). However, I'm known for having a natural scowl for a facial expression. So, if you saw me, you may think I was being judgemental when the whole time you've motivated me.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are interpreting people LOOKING at you in a negative way.

I'll be honest....you need to change your mindset.

^I agree with this^.

Just for fun, why not trying thinking that what they are 'saying with their eyes/looks' is something positive.
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym I can't help but look at other people. I do that cause most of the time the things that are on TV are not interesting and I can't hear it anyways. With that said, I see all kinds of people with different body types but I can't help but notice the people who obviously weigh more. And you know what I think when I see them? "You go girl or man!!!" When I think somebody is looking at me, I strut my stuff because I feel hot (not sweaty lol) and they may or may not be thinking that but I tell myself that. Because like everyone who's there working out, we're all doing the same thing, trying to be healthy and stay that way. Let people bash because as long as you stay confident and focused that's all that matters. YOU GO GIRL!! Do your thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Bashing happens to everyone regardless of how perfect they may be. Look at all the "perfect" figures of actresses. They get bashed by people saying that it's lipo, plastic surgery, ED disorder, etc.

If one defines themselves based on the opinions of others, they will find people that love them and people that hate them. Stick with the ones that love you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • frankb69
    frankb69 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I dont give a F**K!! what people think of me or what i think their thinking of me. i'm just doing whats best for ME and mine.. i dont disrepect anyone,or judge anyone by what they say, do or look.. just do you!! be kind to others even if their not kind to you. life's to short.. I love you all...:love::heart:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with you complaining or ranting, but everything in your post was literally about the "stares" you get from other people. It's possible insecurities leach out and attach themselves to the eyes of other people. Someone might be looking at you without even seeing you because they're zoned out. Someone might look at your food because they're hungry too.

Is it possible that people are intentionally giving you disdainful looks? Yes, it is... but your entire rant is about all these different scenarios of what *you* think people are thinking. That's a dangerous game, to make assumptions like that.

Hell, someone else might come in and say, "Stop the fat bashing! Don't avert your eyes from me just because of my weight!"

Perception can be a real b.

^ this is how I read it too. look up cognitive therapy on google and please please please don't take this the wrong way. it's for your own good, honestly. I see lots of people really big at lots of gyms since I'm gym shopping and I'm big right now too but even when I was skinny I've never thought this way about people. wait let me take off my halo for a second. OK one time when an idiot nearly ran me over with his truck at the grocery store and my boyfriend warned him and he got mad at my boyfriend at the time, and it was clearly his fault and was lucky to have the warning instead of a lawsuit and my flattened butt on the ground, i called that man a f'at *kitten* which everyone found hilarious because this was before i had gone to the dark side. Okay halo back on. So anyway i don't think it's healthy to go around thinking everyone is thinking so many mean things about you all the time. I don't even think it's likely.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Seriously? You are interpreting people LOOKING at you in a negative way.

I'll be honest....you need to change your mindset.
    I was thinking, "I wish I could tell what everyone was thinking just by looking at them." With those kinds of powers you should be a professional poker player. :)
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    Ya know, when I was at my heaviest I felt like people were glaring at me and so what I did to fix that was.... just not look at them. Smile and just do your thing and don't focus on other people. :) It has worked for me.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I'm glad that other people's criticism hasn't put you off.
    I do know the feeling though, when I tell my friends that I cannot have certain foods because I'm trying to 'get in shape' {I avoid the word 'diet' at all costs} there are some people I know who wave chocolate bars in my face, no joke. It's so annoying but I guess we'll be the ones laughing soon enough hey ? :)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    About the whole "real woman" thing...given that the poster never came back, I'm guessing it was just used to be an encouraging silly expression to cheer up OP. maybe by "real" she meant taking care of herself and not judging. Who knows? It would still work. So much offense is being taken to that comment while in turn telling OP she's being too sensitive about offhand comments or looks. Someone makes ONE "real woman" comment not directed at anyone and with no clear reason and everyone pounced on it and took offense! Take some of the advice you gave OP!

That's what I was thinking...
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I love it when I see big people working out. I think, "There's someone trying to make a change."

Ditto
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    About the whole "real woman" thing...given that the poster never came back, I'm guessing it was just used to be an encouraging silly expression to cheer up OP. maybe by "real" she meant taking care of herself and not judging. Who knows? It would still work. So much offense is being taken to that comment while in turn telling OP she's being too sensitive about offhand comments or looks. Someone makes ONE "real woman" comment not directed at anyone and with no clear reason and everyone pounced on it and took offense! Take some of the advice you gave OP!

Exactly.But a couple people who responded,only say insulting and mocking things the forums.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    what does "REAL woman" mean?

Because i'm not overweight i'm less of a woman?

Technically, yes. A woman with a mass of 100lbs is less of a woman than one with a mass of 125lbs. :laugh:
    [/quote]

:shrug: Can't argue with the man's logic...
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    image.png
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Bashing happens to everyone regardless of how perfect they may be. Look at all the "perfect" figures of actresses. They get bashed by people saying that it's lipo, plastic surgery, ED disorder, etc.

If one defines themselves based on the opinions of others, they will find people that love them and people that hate them. Stick with the ones that love you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Exactly.
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Remember: If people want to diss you, they'll find something. It doesn't matter if you're fat, thin, pretty, homely, smart, dumb- something will be fuel for the fire. Grabbing the low-hanging fruit, like zeroing in on someone's appearance, requires no thought or creativity and is the lamest of the lame when it comes to finding insultable attributes.
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't understand.... If you have a vagina and uterus.... Aren't you a real woman???

And in accordance to the curvy/fat comment.... Yes, you can be curvy and thin, you can be curvy and fat too.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    On days I feel bad about myself and think I look horrible, I interpret any person looking at me as staring because they think I'm hideous.
    And whenever I feel like I look amazing, I'm sure people looking at me are thinking that I look amazing.

But the meaning you give to people looking at you is something you make up in your mind, and it has nothing to do with what they're actually thinking. I think you'd find you don't judge other people as much as you think you're being judged, and maybe it's just your insecurities that are causing you to think that way. Maybe try not to concern yourself so much with what strangers might or might not think about you because you're overweight... Have that confidence and self-respect and don't give a damn. And I'm sure you'll feel better already. :)