Why do you care so much about your health?

Options

Replies

• BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Genetics are against me and luck with respect to those genetics haven't been in my favor.

BRACA1 gene carrier and breast cancer survivor with a family history of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancers of all sorts, etc., etc....Lots could go wrong for me.

If I don't do this, I'm asking for an early grave.
  • kim4bs
    kim4bs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was fighting Type 2 Diabetes, a fatty liver, and no energy. My last blood work...liver normal and blood sugar in the non-diabetic range with no medication. I have so much more energy now. I've learned to put my health first.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I always felt I was overweight BUT pretty healthy... until I got turned down for health insurance last fall based on two minor health history issues and my BMI. I was even told that each healthy history item alone wouldn't have caused me to be declined.

For some reason, it wasn't a wake up call when my best friend had a stroke (we both have weight problems and she has some genetic bad luck), when my brother was diagnosed with diabetes, when I was told my cholesterol was borderline high ... but when some actuary somewhere said I wasn't healthy enough to insure, it was a real slap in the face and kicked me into gear for the first time in four years. I looked up my BMI and saw I was "obese" at 200 pounds, even though I saw myself through a filter that told me I looked not-great-but-OK and I felt capable of most activities.

Also, I'm in my 40s now and I want to keep my original knees and hips.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I want to make the best of my life, I want to live it to the fullest, no medications or limitations.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just wanna look good naked.

Amen! me too!!!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Im 56 years old. Soon to be 57. and like a number of others, I want to be a fabulous fifty something and eventually a sexy sixty something. I have been active and fit my entire life until the past few years. Fractured my hip (which I actually didn't realize for over 2 years) and gained a lot of weight. All that being said - I have 2 college age daughters and I absolutely want to be around to torture them. My Mom died 26 yrs ago of breast cancer. My husband never even got a chance to meet her (2nd husband). My Dad passed away when my daughters were 4 and 15 months of a stroke (back when they didn't know NOT to take someone completely off Coumadin then putting them on full strength). I want to feel good and look good and be around for a long time.
  • rgrrgr
    Options
    179 DAYS TILL I RETIRE
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My parents are 50, obese, have no clue what healthy food is (they think they know), and they can't hardly keep up with my 2 year old. They are slowly killing themselves with their unhealthy lifestyle. I don't want to be them when I'm 50 and I want better for my daughter. I want her to know what real exercise looks like and what actual nutrition is.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    - I work with disability claims and many of the patients I work with have become disabled by their lifestyle choices and I shudder at the thought of living like that. I know it could happen anyway, but I think I almost could accept it better if I didn't think I was to blame for it.

- I had back surgery a few years ago and spent 8 weeks or so "disabled" due to restrictions on what I could do. I think I appreciate my body more now than I ever did before. As long as it's working, I want to make it as strong and fit as possible.

- I've lost a couple of family members in recent years - that will make anyone reflect a bit on how short life is and how you never know when it's gonna be your time to go. I want to make the best choices possible so I can feel as good as it's within my control to feel every day.
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm 60. I miss a day of work due to illness about once every 3 years. I don't know I have a back, a stomach, knees, etc. because they just do their thing without bothering me. I'm not on any prescriptions. Part of it is good genes and part of it is work and I want to feel this way for a very long time.

And yeah, I want to look good naked!

I'm loving this! You go girl! =)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    As a cardiac/intensive care nurse, I see all the time what happens when people don't take care of themselves.
    And then I see my grandmaster (a10th degree black belt), who keeps his body and mind strong through martial arts and clean eating.
    Yeah, it's a no-brainer which one I'm going to shoot for.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I understand and accept vanity as a reason to take care of yourself - I love me, so I should be the best possible me - but I was surprised at how doing it the healthy way made vanity and health work both ways. I work out because I want to look hot, that's okay, but working out makes me feel like I'm hot! :smooched:

Great point!
  • msliu7911
    Options
    I'm 60. I miss a day of work due to illness about once every 3 years. I don't know I have a back, a stomach, knees, etc. because they just do their thing without bothering me. I'm not on any prescriptions. Part of it is good genes and part of it is work and I want to feel this way for a very long time.

And yeah, I want to look good naked!

That is awesome! Thats something I want to be able to say when I'm your age. :) I had my spinal fusion when I was 12 and other than the staph infection it caused... I'm still up and going and better than ever 14 years later! I've been very fortunate in the sense that I can still do the same activities that I did before the surgery (minus a backbend/ crab walk) :P
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    So many reasons.... But the biggest one is because I am worth it and deserve to be happier and healthier
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    same pretty much.

previous illness
    second chance
    but also my family there are people who rely on me so i have to be as healthy as I can and have no excuses right now so time to get to it.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Just going to be honest. I've always had a beautiful, fit body and always taken steps to maintain that. This was the next logical step, as I am getting older (ever-so-slightly) and I want to maintain my fitness, for life, with ease. Health is beauty (and happiness), so I take care of my health and enjoy it.

This is a great outlook and positive attitude to have. I wish most women had the positive thoughts about their body as you do. (big small, perfections, imperfections... etc).
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Because I'm only 24 years old and I feel like I let myself go. I'm too young to be this overweight and causing possible health problems for myself. I can't go to the doctor so I need to get healthy for me.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Let's see....
    November 2006-my mom passed away and she was really obese and had heart disease
    March 2007-gal bladder removed and they thought I had diabetes...
    December 2009-liver problems
    January 2010-heaviest weight ever of 346.6
    February 2010-liver biopsy done
    March 2010-weight loss journey started
    June 2010-first time registered on a scale at 330.6
    June 2010-same day I fell and hurt my knee real bad...sad had to lose weight to help it but they were both bone on bone due to my weight...
    August 2010-stomach flu and an ovarian cyst found
    October 2010-down 60 so far
    January 2011-ovarian cyst had to be removed due to possibility of cancer
    March 2011-down to 238 by my bday
    June 2011-down to 205 and started the gym
    August 2011-down to 185
    December 2011-down to 165
    ...as I found out on here, starvation mode for about a year but lowest was 153.7 but not eating much...
    January 2013-joined my fitness pal at 157.6
    February 2013-148.4 right now

Wow, great job!!! I think that even though you started MFP at 157.6, you should still reflect your TOTAL weight loss in the ticker! :) You're down just short of 200 LBS!!!! That is amazing and something to celebrate in itself, especially considering all you've overcome.
  • msliu7911
    Options
    Because I'm only 24 years old and I feel like I let myself go. I'm too young to be this overweight and causing possible health problems for myself. I can't go to the doctor so I need to get healthy for me.

You're still young enough to start getting healthy. :) Its never too late... start now before you have no choice but to see a doctor. Stick to MFP, great resources/support/motivation on here.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

You're still young enough to start getting healthy. :) Its never too late... start now before you have no choice but to see a doctor. Stick to MFP, great resources/support/motivation on here.
    Yup I've started! The time is now I've procrastinated too long.