Something you do for free that most people pay for.

Options

Replies

• fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    make my own laundry soap
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    make my own laundry soap

I tried that, I have psoriasis and the recipes I tried online disagreed with my skin. I'm really finicky on my soaps.

I do make body soap for in the shower though!!
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    now why did my mind go straight to the gutter on this one?

ha ha...mine went there too.
  • tnt008
    tnt008 Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Eat seafood
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I cook a lot at home from scratch, I can fruit, jams, and salsa, I make my own laundry soap ( costs about 25 bucks and lasts around 9 months). I sew baby gifts, quilts, and make my own purses.

I do the canning and scratch cooking as well, but I simply cannot bring myself to make my own laundry soap. I know how, but just not willing to do it. :P

You really should. It honestly takes about 15 - 20 minutes. So, worth the time and money. I run it through my food processor so the grated soap is finer so it takes me a little longer but still worth the time and money.

I'm only spending $20 or so every 2-3 months, so the money saved just isn't worth it overall. If I had a BUNCH of laundry to do then I would agree with you.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Everything; plumping, fixtures, electrical; brake pads last week, carpentry on a chimney chase two months ago, structural work on the joists before that, ran natural gas pipes for a conversion . . . anything that I am physically and mentally capable of, and I can make the time to do, I will do.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I always do my own eyebrows! Not worth $10 to get my skin ripped off lol

How do you manage?
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Cook from scratch. Eg make my own tortillas - a fraction of the cost! Make my own chicken stock after roasting a chicken; make my own rye sourdough bread (badly at the moment - just learning). And exercise - I don't bother with the gym; just do my own programme at home and seek incidental exercise opportunities.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Everything; plumping, fixtures, electrical; brake pads last week, carpentry on a chimney chase two months ago, structural work on the joists before that, ran natural gas pipes for a conversion . . . anything that I am physically and mentally capable of, and I can make the time to do, I will do.

*brofist*
  • FAYEGLORY
    FAYEGLORY Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I DO IT ALL. I CROTCHET, SEW, CUT MINE AND MY FAMILIES HAIR,COOK,AND I DO CAKE DECORATING, I DO TAXES ALSO..
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i work out in my living room or go down to the highschool and run on their track... for FREE. who wants to pay gym fees when you can work out for nothing?!? not this girl :bigsmile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I can get free spring water. There is a public spring down the street from where my brother lives. Its alongside the road...you just pull over and fill up your bottles. Its the best tasting water I have ever had. I never buy bottled water.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I do my own nails and have never had a manicure or pedicure. I get free massages. :)
    We barter for stuff and that saves a lot of money too. We have re-roofed our house ourselves, built a spa room, a sunroom, huge porch, garage, pool deck, other decks, grow just about all of our vegetables and fruits in the summer and freeze them for winter. We have a relative who works on cars, one does electronics and my son in law is a computer engineer, so we dont pay for any 'computer repairs' or whatever you'd call that.
    I could list more but I'm having a damn hotflash, this room is full of people and I can't strip my clothes off in this room. So, goodbye for now LOL
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Workout
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Cook all my own meals from scratch - I don't eat out (well rarely anyway) and I don't buy pre-packaged meals.
  • DivineDee
    Options
    I use to go to weight watchers and you pay a fee for someone to tell you what to eat and weigh you. But, with MFP I do it for myself and save a lot of money and getting the same if not better results.:happy:
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My workouts are free; hiking, biking, track and stadium stairs at the local HS.

All my household cleaners are made from scratch using as many natural ingredients as possible, including bath and laundry soap.

Fix all my own computer hardware and software; just replaced my cracked iPhone glass.

Do many of my own house repairs, drywall, plumbing, even roof repairs.

Everything I can so I don't have to give up my ca$h!
  • inspiredjen34
    inspiredjen34 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do the same. Why pay when you can get them for free.
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I make my own soap and perfume and other assorted bath & body products. I have my own business. :)
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I build and repair computer, do all of my own home repairs, most of my car repairs, cut my own hair, etc. I also do canning and other methods of food preservation and gardening.

I do pretty much what he said except cut my own hair.

Home electrical and plumbing, Plastering (I don't do drywall, we have an old house), fix/update computers, trim and finish carpentry (I make my own casing, baseboards, and plinth blocks, among other things) painting, wallpapering, staining. And I cook the big stuff for the big meals, which gets me requests for catering.
    I do repairs to the GTO and the boat, but the daily driver gets taken care of by someone else, since it's a company car. I can salsa and hot sauce, wife cans the other stuff. We both do the gardening, but she does most of it.