Something you do for free that most people pay for.

Options

Replies

• I give massages to family and friends, including deep tissue massages. I was trained by a masseuse - and by a mom with incredibly hard shoulders!

For myself, I make my own jewelry, change my car's oil and brake pads, and teach myself martial arts via instructional videos.

Oh - and on the Army's dime I get to spend a night in a Marriot this week! Yay! Not to mention that great 9-week paid vacation coming up - also known as boot camp! Gotta go, time to run a few miles...
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My fiancé never has to hire someone to do graphic design work for his company because I have a degree in it :laugh: And he reloads ammo when it's necessary/more convenient. He used to be a gunsmith, too, so he does all of our gun maintenance, upgrades, etc., which is awesome because I would have no idea how to do any of that stuff!

Where/how did he learn gunsmithing? It's something that interests me, but I have no background there to build on, other than liking to tinker...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I build and repair computer, do all of my own home repairs, most of my car repairs, cut my own hair, etc. I also do canning and other methods of food preservation and gardening.

I do pretty much what he said except cut my own hair.

Home electrical and plumbing, Plastering (I don't do drywall, we have an old house), fix/update computers, trim and finish carpentry (I make my own casing, baseboards, and plinth blocks, among other things) painting, wallpapering, staining. And I cook the big stuff for the big meals, which gets me requests for catering.
    I do repairs to the GTO and the boat, but the daily driver gets taken care of by someone else, since it's a company car. I can salsa and hot sauce, wife cans the other stuff. We both do the gardening, but she does most of it.

*brofist*
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Massage Therapy for friends and family, elaborate party planning, furniture staging. I refuse to wash my own car, though. That i pay for.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Computer repair and income taxes. I've been certified through the IRS to do taxes for the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program through the United Way for several years. Although I didn't volunteer this year, there's a number of people that still have me on speed dial, including friends and family. I don't mind helping them.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sewing, computer repair, most small home repairs, graphic design/website work, I make my own jewelry, cut my own grass, yada yada. Soon going to be growing my own veg as well. I always try to be money-conscious with my funds.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I do my own eyebrows....I cook and bake for people, some pretty tasty stuff...I have gotten free tattoos over the last decade but not because I did them myself, I have some amazing tattoo artist friends.
  • piratemerdi
    piratemerdi Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm designated hair-cutter for all of my friends who can't afford a hair-cut
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    im a match maker
  • FarmGirl69
    Options
    I change the oil in my truck (when it's warm out, that is)....I would do it year round if I had a heated garage!
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    I can't justify paying $100+ a month to have my hair colored, which many of friends will pay for. I buy the $7 Clairol color in the box (at Target) and do it myself.
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Take random pictures.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I can't justify paying $100+ a month to have my hair colored, which many of friends will pay for. I buy the $7 Clairol color in the box (at Target) and do it myself.

I would pay that over doing major damage to my hair from box hair dye personally.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Cut my kids hair and also do my own pedicure and nails (OCD, more for sanitary reasons than $$) LOL
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Movies... never pay for them always get them off the net.... though this is probably standard.
  • sbbhbm
    sbbhbm Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I used to be a massage therapist- I still have my table, and like to give free massages just to keep my hands strong and stay in practice. Spent enough money on that friggin' table :grumble:
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Makes my own jerky (beef/elf/deer/), crochet, change the oil in my car, give hubby haircuts, have gaming/drinking nights at our home/friends home to save the expense of the bar tab ;)
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Do my own waxing, used to pay 10+$

Not free but I make my own coffees, espressos, lattes most of the time. Saves a ton of money and I still drink organic, gourmet coffee. I roll my eyes at my family members who love the money they save with their keurig when they have an in house barista they don't know about ;).

I do my own nails.

I can fix my computer. My family members and co-workers have to pay someone to fix stuff for them.

Do my own tarot readings. Hey people pay to get those done!! :laugh:

I'd love to learn to sew and garden. Just need to find a teacher.
  • fauxfoe
    fauxfoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think that many people pay for this but... I teach random strangers how to juggle for free.
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do taxes, edit dissertations, and produce CD projects.