Protein?? How do I eat less of it

Options
Everyday I am either very near or over my protein limit. I need some ideas on how to eat less protein and still steer clear of starches and fats. I never meet my sugar limit or even come close to it ( I generally don't like sweets even sweet condiments like ketchup). What are some ways that I could balance my daily calories more?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    If your still at default settings of what MFP told you to eat, Don't worry about being over on protein.. you should probably be eating more than what MFP tells you.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Can you really have too much?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to eat less protein? Protein is a very important nutrient for your body.

The goal here for protein is very very low... go over it everyday.

Protein is needed to try and preserve muscle you lose while on a deficit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

not really! mfp sets protein at 15% which is pretty low!

OP, it doesnt matter if you go over, protein is good!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    yeah, I target about 1-1.25 g protein/lb of lean body mass. That puts me between 170-210+ g protein per day. The number MFP defaults to is not even enough to maintain muscle in a calorie deficit - it is just enough to prevent malnutrition. Unless you have kidney problems or some other medical issue, I'd suggest upping your protein to .8-1 g protein per lb LBM as a minimum.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Protein is fine to go over on. As long as you have some fiber to help keep it a flown'. Don't worry about going over on protein. Worry about not getting enough protein.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    You don't.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I aim to get my protein and my fibre into the red every day.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    eat all the proteins.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less protein.
    Eat more. Especially if your settings are standard the way MFP sets them up.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Everyday I am either very near or over my protein limit. I need some ideas on how to eat less protein and still steer clear of starches and fats. I never meet my sugar limit or even come close to it ( I generally don't like sweets even sweet condiments like ketchup). What are some ways that I could balance my daily calories more?

Low protein, low carb, and low fat? That's called low cal. You can't have all three.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You can if you have medical issues. Other than that, it is not likely that she will be eating too much.

As others have said, the protein setting on MFP is low. I have changed mine, I eat about 30% of my daily calories from protein, that's twice the MFP recommendation of 15%.
    Also, you don't need to avoid fats. Fats are essential as well. Dietary fat does not make you fat. My goals are 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    protein won't hurt you and as others have said MFP setting is very low. I always try to boost mine. Eat more! It builds muscle and staves off hunger
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    i have mine set to 168 g per day of protein. I had to ask the question of how to get MORE protein. hello, protein shakes!
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

Protein, "starches" (carbs), and fat are the 3 macronutrients. That's it. So, if you want less protein, but not in the form of carbs or fat... All you have left is water.
  • rlv2680
    rlv2680 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i always try to get at least 100g a day
  • fitnessmare
    Options
    Very good question.. and very good answers! I'm glad to know that MFP set the bar so low. I will definitely try going in the red for protein every day. Thanks all!
  • eb12112
    Options
    good to know!
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Yes...You can have too much...Too much can be converted to fat essentially. Though fiber can help digest it, so does taking in other nutrients (IE carbs, calcium, zinc, magnessium, potassium etc). Anyway to much of anything is bad for you.

Now 15% of your calories from proteins isn't bad...Aim for about .9g/lean body mass. You should be lifting weights not just doing cardio non stop. For me I do 40p/40c/20f split...Sometimes 40p/35c/25f. It depends on your body, but it all really boils down to calories in<calories out if you're going for FAT loss (notice caps, not weight loss).
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I need to know what you're doing. Unless I drink a protein shake or eat a big slab of meat every day I can't meat the protein goals on MFP.