Protein?? How do I eat less of it

Options

Replies

• savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Can you really have too much?

not really! mfp sets protein at 15% which is pretty low!

OP, it doesnt matter if you go over, protein is good!

YES...but you probably aren't.
    Eating protein (or anything) in excess will cause your body to store it...as fat! Also, too much protein affects your kidneys and can be hard to process.
    If you are doing any lifting you should probably eat around .75-1 gram of protein/lb of body weight. I have my settings to 40 (carbs), 30/30. However I run, so as I up my mileage, my carbs will look more like 45/50 % of my calories.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I am ALWAYS way up on my proteins and way UNDER on my carbs....always. As long as I keep my total calories and fats in check everything seems to be going great. Is there a reason you NEED to reduce your proteins?
  • green022
    green022 Posts: 115
    Options
    Go to this link it may put your mind at ease and give you some ideas

Looking for a more effective way to drop pounds? Swap out carbs for protein. People who follow high-protein diets may have more success losing weight than those who eat less protein and more carbohydrates, says research published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

http://news.menshealth.com/more-protein-more-weight-loss/2012/11/30/
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    I recommend researching what levels are right for you and resetting your goals to an appropriate level of protein.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    There is no scientific maximum protein amount for people who are healthy. If you are in renal failure, this is a different story.

I try to eat my weight in pounds in equal grams of protein a day (I weigh 129 lbs, eat 129 grams of protein a day).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Your body will not store excess protein as fat. If you are eating over your TDEE, you will store fat. Eating excess protein at a deficit will not store fat.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options

not really! mfp sets protein at 15% which is pretty low!

OP, it doesnt matter if you go over, protein is good!

YES...but you probably aren't.
    Eating protein (or anything) in excess will cause your body to store it...as fat! Also, too much protein affects your kidneys and can be hard to process.
    If you are doing any lifting you should probably eat around .75-1 gram of protein/lb of body weight. I have my settings to 40 (carbs), 30/30. However I run, so as I up my mileage, my carbs will look more like 45/50 % of my calories.

Protein and Carbs have a 4kcal energy property, while lipids have a 9kcal energy property per gram. Protein though breaks down into Amino Acids, in which your liver will then break down into keto acids (can be stored as fat) and urea (a majority of excess, which is then jettisoned out via urine and sweat.) Keto Acids aren't created heavily unless the body is very low on carbs, and if it is, then those are given priority to be burned before stored as fat. (Just like carbs.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    That would mean less BACON.:laugh:

MFP's protein settings are actually kinda low, so even if you go over, it's not going to matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

You can if you have medical issues. Other than that, it is not likely that she will be eating too much.

As others have said, the protein setting on MFP is low. I have changed mine, I eat about 30% of my daily calories from protein, that's twice the MFP recommendation of 15%.
    Also, you don't need to avoid fats. Fats are essential as well. Dietary fat does not make you fat. My goals are 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.

^^^ This!
  • DreamSM85
    DreamSM85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've customized my diet goals to 40%pro, 40%carbs, & 20%fat. This is the best ratio for me to loose weight and put on lean muscle. I hope you find what works for you. Don't be worried about going too far over if your goals are set my MFP. Good luck!
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is why MFP community is good for me. I learn so much! Someone asked what I was doing to be going over my protein limit. Honestly if I have a lean meat in two of my three meals(like skinless chicken breast, or turkey sausage), I'm over the protein limit. I was starting to think I would have to becom a vegetarian to meet the limit so I'm glad I asked.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, MFP sets it too low. Don't worry about it. Eat more actually. If you don't like seeing the negative red number, then change your settings. :)
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    How do I eat less protein said no person ever...
  • herbgardengirl
    Options
    Watch the movie "Forks Over Knives" available on Netflix, Amazon, and in some Health Food Stores. It will MOTIVATE you and give you ideas.
  • tarakizer
    Options
    I aim to get my protein and my fibre into the red every day.

This is my goal too.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Your goal should be minimum 1g per lean body mass! Most people should consume well over 100g of protein. If you are using the MFP goals - you're too low and should be going over. That would be a good thing. If you're getting more than 200g of protein per day ....then you may want to scale back as your body can only absorb so much protein (apx 30g) at a time.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I was about to say...wow...but yeah, if you still have the MFP default setting for protein then don't worry if you go over. I have mine set at 30% and have a hard time getting close to it...but getting better at it.
  • herbgardengirl
    Options
    Yes, you can eat too much protein! The worst osteoporosis in the world is among the Inuit people who eat mostly animal foods. Among the strongest bones in the world are the people in the mountains of Peru, where they eat very little animal foods. An average person can only use about 15-17 grams of protein per meal, the rest will be broken down, the amine part becomes urea, the acid part is burned as fuel or stored as fat. This lowers, or acidifies, the pH in the body, resulting in pulling minerals out of the bones to alkalize the blood which must be about pH of 7.4. I once treated a man for depression. (I am an RD/LDN) He had been a body builder and surfer in Hawaii. He drank a lot of whey protein shakes, which are acidifying to the blood. His spine lost its strength, and he had three surgeries to fuse it. Eat a well balanced diet. The RDA for protein is estimated at 150% of daily need. calculate by taking the body weight in kilos times 0.8 for men. Actual need is 2/3 of that. For women it is calculated as body weight in kilos times 0.66. Again, actual need is 2/3 that amount. These figures are for healthy people only. But the MFP recommendations for protein are NOT too low! They will protect you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can eat too much protein! The worst osteoporosis in the world is among the Inuit people who eat mostly animal foods. Among the strongest bones in the world are the people in the mountains of Peru, where they eat very little animal foods. An average person can only use about 15-17 grams of protein per meal, the rest will be broken down, the amine part becomes urea, the acid part is burned as fuel or stored as fat. This lowers, or acidifies, the pH in the body, resulting in pulling minerals out of the bones to alkalize the blood which must be about pH of 7.4. I once treated a man for depression. (I am an RD/LDN) He had been a body builder and surfer in Hawaii. He drank a lot of whey protein shakes, which are acidifying to the blood. His spine lost its strength, and he had three surgeries to fuse it. Eat a well balanced diet. The RDA for protein is estimated at 150% of daily need. calculate by taking the body weight in kilos times 0.8 for men. Actual need is 2/3 of that. For women it is calculated as body weight in kilos times 0.66. Again, actual need is 2/3 that amount. These figures are for healthy people only. But the MFP recommendations for protein are NOT too low! They will protect you.

Sources?
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    how to eat less protein and still steer clear of starches and fats.

teehee