Protein?? How do I eat less of it

Options

Replies

• Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Can you really have too much?

think its possible ;) But am struggling to hit 150g of protein a day myself and fall short. MFP sets you on the very minimum of proteins you should get. you /should be over it.

I did not bother reading past first few post so I might be just repeating what someone said already :)
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Of course- too much of anything is too much. Beware of high proteins diets!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

think its possible ;) But am struggling to hit 150g of protein a day myself and fall short. MFP sets you on the very minimum of proteins you should get. you /should be over it.

I did not bother reading past first few post so I might be just repeating what someone said already :)

5 pages in chances are its been covered.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add other than I :heart: Ronnie Coleman.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Pu-

Please answer my questions below.

1. In that study, what did all of the men weigh?

2. In that study, what supplements did each of the men take including BCAA consumption?

3. Are you going to stand there and tell me that each of those men that did the "Exercise + NO steroid injection" all gained 4.5lbs of LBM by consuming only 120g of protein each day? So they all had the same genetics? You do understand that not everyone gains weight and LBM the same right?

4. How long was the study for?

5. The study says "Steroid Injections". They are literally dozens upon dozens of different types of AAS. Some do more than others. I find it funny how they just say "steroid injections" but don't give details about which kind. Was it test-p, clen, etc?

If you have 43 men that are so called "bodybuilders", but all weigh 150 lbs then yea they probably don't need alot of protein ESPECIALLY if they are taking BCAA supplements.

You cannot stand there and tell me that a 200lb bodybuilder that is at 6% bodyfat can continue to hold onto his muscle mass on 120g of protein. Sorry. Not a chance.

There was a link above. On my phone so cant get you all the details if any. I think the subjects where untrained. One question why dont you believe its possible?

My lbm before i got sick was 196 i would consume about 120 grams of protein.
    P
    Lifting requires energy. Quickest energy is carbs, everyone knows that. Carbs are muscle sparring.

Someone asked to to clarify this statement earlier - you seem to have over looked that.
    Can you please define EXACTLY what you mean by "carbs are more muscle sparing than protein" and under what conditions.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add other than I :heart: Ronnie Coleman.

I had to ask Uncle Google.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, Dorian was my main man.

However, I would love if more natural BB would step out. My dad won Mr. Minnesota in 02. Drug free!
  • timgordon24
    Options
    I need to know what you're doing. Unless I drink a protein shake or eat a big slab of meat every day I can't meat the protein goals on MFP.

chicken breast fillets, boneless, baked. = 44g of protein each filet. ;)
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Ha!!! I'm always over that.. The way I see it, you need the protein for muscle building and energy, it's also a good form of fat. I tend to get anemic from time to time so I always eat it regardless of what MFP tells me. It's the carbs that I should be eating less of... Even still I eat them, just in moderation.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Just to get away from the back and forth that this has turned into:

dear op, it's okay to go over on your protein. the limit that mfp sets is awfully low.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Or we can check the thread when i proved both of them wrong, I don't remember the title of it though. We had a debate about this again. If you want to take the alan aragon approach, he recommends things by a dexa scan which is flawed. So that blows that out of the water.

What makes one person study more credible than another? You can't pick favorites in science.

I also offer this question to anyone who is talking about higher protein intake. Are they talking from education or experience? I am speaking from both.

I wouldn't call them scientifically minded. I would call it pick a favorite guru and parrot him.
    I have never seen such a thread. Not that it matters but I do find Sara and Sidesteel more credible then you. They don't tend to botch things up constantly like I see you do (see example of that thread I posted where you constantly made mistakes). That aside, I don't listen to them unless it makes sense. I've questioned Sara many a times and went out and read my own info...and so far...Sara's usually if not always right lol. I always question things though. And I've questioned Sara many times. And the longer period of time that goes by, the more likely I am to look at her response over someone like you. And after reading sidesteels arms...and then looking at his posts lol...everything he said just made sense to me.

And terrible to admit it but after doing something for an extended period of time people will trust you more if you look the part. Many people will choose the fit personal trainer over the obese one even if the larger one is a whole lot more knowledgeable and sensible. Perhaps why I've met many dumb ones that are doing so well. Sara and Sidesteel are both in incredible shape. They are both in inspirable shape and practice what they preach and can back it up. Not saying looks should have all baring at all...A friend of mine is incredibly intelligent but never practices what he preaches.

I'm a terrible parrot. How many times did I ignore and question weights and more protein and increasing calories etc etc etc before I actually did it because I didn't have a doubt left. If I took your side my finger nails would probably still be constantly cracking off.

If someone says something I can find something on google scholar that agrees with them and it makes sense, I'll believe them. Why wouldn't I?

They are more credible than a biochemistry major, NASM CPT(National Academy Of Sports Medicine) who has lost 163lbs? okay.
    You never even questioned me, you don't know what I know.

Big muscles limit performance in a survival situation, as humans we're designed to survive, so bigger muscles are pointless for humans.

I train some people who look better than both of them combined, just so you know. Advice listen to both sides and make your conclusion, don't be narrow minded.
    I really doubt that biochem major is you, or is here to argue what you pulled out of your bum. No, I didn't question you, because I don't want to know what you know, because constantly spit out things that make no sense that you are constantly correcting. And when you're lying and pulling things out of thin air and making assumptions, I don't see the point of questioning you, or trying to know what you know.

Who said I had big muscles, I have no idea what you are going on with or why you are going on with it lol.

And I don't doubt that you train people who look better then both of them combined. I feel sorry for them though. I've listened to the advice on both sides, looked up some biology and chemistry, was on the other side of the low protein fence, made a conclusion, benefited from it and showed results and increased my health. I wouldn't call that being narrow minded.

If you're talking about me "correcting things" it was on that protein topic i made. I specifically said I was really tired and I haven't gotten much rest. If you can list something else I "corrected" i would gladly like to hear it.

Calculus doesn't make sense to a 5th grader. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it's wrong.

Go look up IGF-1 and life span, and uric acid and pH of blood. Then eat your protein.

I seem to remember in a certain thread where you got some basic math wrong.....oh...this one! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/827452-how-dave-tate-cuts?

Yes I made a mistake, tell me you have never made one?, i seen you make them too. Even codergirl said you make mistakes. So what? we all do.

Yet again, missing the point and trying to deflect. And actually, codergal did not actually say that.

ETA: for the record, I am not saying I am never wrong, however,which mistakes did I make or can you not find that those threads either?
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Protein is GREAT! Definitely get more of it as long as you stay within your calorie goal!!! Your body has to work harder to break down protein. This is excellent!! Keep it up!

"within your calorie goals" <-- is the key here. You shouldn't eat 300 grams of protein or anything.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Someone asked to to clarify this statement earlier - you seem to have over looked that.
    Can you please define EXACTLY what you mean by "carbs are more muscle sparing than protein" and under what conditions.

In conditions where diet is higher in carbs than protein, if protein is higher than carbs then protein is more sparing. Longer more difficult process through gluconeogenesis.

Since this is about clarification, I'll dumb it down. Gluconeogenesis is the process of making glucose(carbs in the blood) from protein. The body needs glucose. For energy, it can use ketones (but this is another topic all together).

What causes loss of muscle mass? When the body needs glucose. It will strip amino acids from the muscles and convert it in to glucose and use it for energy. It can also strip it from muscles to provide amino acids to critical organs if there isn't enough amino acids in the blood stream.

You can eat more carbs to prevent muscle being broken down to to glucose(carbs). So "Carbs are muscle sparing." You could also eat more protein i you want too, protein converts to glucose at a ratio o 48 * 100^-1 grams.

I know what gluconeogenesis is and I know that carbs *can* be protein sparing...but I am not sure how that answers your statement of "carbs are more muscle sparing than protein". By your logic, I don't need to have any protein?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    To quote you....
    Talk is cheap,

That's why we show with results :-)

lolwut??

I got my results and getting them, are you?

Ummm...lolz

Was that a trick question or something? What did THAT even mean? lol.

It means all my haters look the same year after year.

That still makes no sense
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    You are fine. You are only going to have negative health effects if you are significantly over. Kidney stones can happen but only in very high amounts.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Did he just say "dumb it down"? I've never heard that. LOL. I wonder if I can use that in work email...Have fun arguing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

oh okay, To answer you "directly" and not deflect. No i didn't do the math wrong, I just didn't see the entire article if i remember correctly.

On your calculating macro topic why do you set 1g per LBM for everyone? You don't think different people in different situations needs different amounts of protein?

Ummm...if you read the topic you will see I do not say it is for everyone.

Also, still waiting for that link to the thread you mentioned...

and yes, you got the math wrong...and did not read the article properly
  • HaleyxErin
    HaleyxErin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    your problem is exactly opposite of mine, I can hardly get protein in. I don't eat meat and I'm trying to cut out eggs/dairy I'm going to try to get some protein powder next chance I get.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    To quote you....
    Talk is cheap,

That's why we show with results :-)

lolwut??

I got my results and getting them, are you?

Ummm...lolz

Was that a trick question or something? What did THAT even mean? lol.

It means all my haters look the same year after year.

That still makes no sense

Okay i'll say it clearly. All my haters look the same year after year, i don't seem them progress or make any changes, they're all talk. happy?

I have not progressed? You are clearly delusional.

Also, I haven't seen your ticker move in quite a while.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    don't..eat more of it...