The decline of MFP

Options
I've been around here since 2011. I loved the information, support and the friends I've made. You'd have the occasional argument about HCG or "starvation" mode but it seem things have decline more than "opinions".

I recently came cross a post from someone looking for support. After so many pages they finally fessed up they just posted to get a rise out of people. But not before making some laughs at the expense of those that genuinely tried to help this person and the advice they have based on their own struggles.

It just appauls me. This site is FULL of people dealing with security issues and struggles and the thought that a few who already have achieved their goals and have six pack and bikini pics are now using others for pure sport. Many people here come here because they DON'T know what's what or have answers. Some people stay motivated by helping others and some want to use that for their own ego boost. Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

Replies

• salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree....I am shocked & disgusted at the spare time people have in their lives to be mean, bash others, criticize....if that energy could only be spent doing things productive.....I was brave enough to post something about the inappropriate cleavage pics on here a few weeks ago, 15 pages of posts later with boob shots....this isn't a singles dating site....

who knows...maybe a grown up mfp site is on there somewhere???
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Could not agree more!
  • grelf
    grelf Posts: 1
    Options
    The internet plus anonymity equals rude, nasty people.

Sadly this is true everywhere. Just nod your head, and realize they're lashing out from their own insecurity and small-mindedness.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The only reason I read your post was the title. The forum sites are becoming drama filled, harsh, know-it-all, cruel, Facebook-ish, maybe I should stop because now I am becoming what I despise. However, my friends here on MFP are the best!

Nice observation as I generally stay off the forums most of the time.
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm fairly new on here, and have been trying to understand all of the TDEE and starvation mode stuff...but I'm terrified to post a question in any of the forums, because I'm sure I'd get bashed and bullied. It's too bad that even adults have to deal with bullying.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    well said.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You just need to be selective about your posts...if it appears to be a topic that gets trolled a lot...don't post...or send a private message to the poster. All sites have forum collapses like this unless they have full time staff to monitor every post...and even then it's not full-proof. Forums are great, but there will forever be trolls. Do as in life as in forums...take everything with a grain of salt, but avoid too much sodium
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    it is what it is,, you have to wean the bad ones out.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I do see some of that.

What I see more of is people sharing information and bouncing ideas off of each other.

These boards have taught me alot and I've also had quite a few laughs on them as well.

I choose to focus on the positive.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I agree too. It seems the same people spend their entire days on here just obsessing and attacking people for their opinions. Is it any wonder bullying is so prevalent in schools, kids learn by watching their parents. Many people are ugly on the inside. And online they have the added protection of nobody knowing their real name and they suddenly have the guts to say stuff to people they probably wouldn't say to their faces.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    I don't think that it's so bad...then again I only deal with mature and grown people on here and tend to stay away from drama.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    And someone will probably try to justify all the snarkiness as "just being honest" or "seeing through people's excuses" or some such crap. As a school teacher, I see this type of bully all the time. They may have gotten the six-pack or bikini body, but they're still fat inside and only feel good by tearing down other people. It's gotten to the point where you don't know whether to take any threads or replies on those thread seriously because they may be some code that the "in people" use to make fun of the people who are genuinely using this site for its intended purpose--fitness and support.
  • lissaloue
    lissaloue Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You just need to be selective about your posts...if it appears to be a topic that gets trolled a lot...don't post...or send a private message to the poster. All sites have forum collapses like this unless they have full time staff to monitor every post...and even then it's not full-proof. Forums are great, but there will forever be trolls. Do as in life as in forums...take everything with a grain of salt, but avoid too much sodium

Agreed!
  • jillybeanpuff
    jillybeanpuff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the exact same thing! I'm fairly new on here, and have been trying to understand all of the TDEE and starvation mode stuff...but I'm terrified to post a question in any of the forums, because I'm sure I'd get bashed and bullied. It's too bad that even adults have to deal with bullying.

I've only been on here a month so I don't know everything, but I will try to answer your questions if you would like :) you can PM me
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

winner winner chicken dinner!

also sometimes it's people flexing their confidence, we all come here with various issues, and some are able to work through them, and test out their skillz on here. i know i was a straight up door mat for most of my life, and once i became "hot" i realized, i don't always need to be sugar sweet nice. i can give advice without sucking up to someone. i like that.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    ANNNND...I'm pretty sure that those are NOT pictures of the actual "mean" posters, in some cases. They just use them to make it seem like they should be listened to because, look, abs.

I do think there are a lot of people on here with very little to live for except trolling...but by far the majority are good people getting and giving help.

So, yeah, I think of the trolls the way I think of panhandlers or cat-callers. Slightly annoying, wish they weren't there, but really no major effect on my day.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a personal problem.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I am shocked & disgusted at the spare time people have in their lives to be mean, bash others, criticize [ . . . ]I was brave enough to post something about the inappropriate cleavage pics on here a few weeks ago

EXCUSE ME? Are you serious?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    10,000 threads a day, and you choose THAT one to write about? Thanks for adding to the drama.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Cheers to this! Well said, OP.

I also completely agree with this guy:
    The internet plus anonymity equals rude, nasty *kitten*.

Sadly this is true everywhere. Just nod your head, and realize they're lashing out from their own insecurity and small-mindedness.
This discussion has been closed.