Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt81LMTHvzfcHE-lDZs_y7lKgwNjIvKI7NpkpBlVXnUvWGvFETaA
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Don't give up entirely. Don't let the few ruin it for the many. I try to stay away from the forums for the most part, and just look for good friends that are looking for support and willing to receive it. And support does not always come in the way of nice things to say. Sometimes it takes a good MFP pal to say it like it is and snap you out of it, sometimes. But 99% of the time it's about supporting each other. I need it. You need it. We all need it. And like I said, don't let the few ruin it for you either. Hang in there. MFP still has some awesome people on here like yourself looking for support not beratement. Cheers!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it is really annoying to be confronted with demands of proof beyond anecdotal when making claims or with peoples attempts at humor via parody or sarcasm. If people want to follow fads, pseudoscience, or broscience, why should others care that the misinformation might lead an unsuspecting reader astray? After all, isnt it up to the individual to investigate the truth for themselves? Or if they injest HGC and permanently damage their metabolism, why should anyone else care? Do they really think that by making a mockery of such practices that they will become tabboo enough for people to realize how silly they are?!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

And this makes you better?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them!

I've had some stupid remarks made to me, who cares, I don't know these people or give 2 sh!ts if all they have to do in their lives is sit and think of some pathetic remark to make to strangers!!
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    well... yeah... the same problem with Facebook, MySpace, Google+, every forum.... is people. MFP is awesome as a tracking tool for your calories... to leverage their database for nutrition information, for free, makes it awesome. To make it into a social networking site is to lump it in with the garbage that everybody else peddles on their other social networking pages. I don't think most people care about other people's abs or other people's bikinis... they want their own. So posts don't have to be so serious. MyFitnessPal is the calculator... not your pals that are trying to get fit. Therefore, it should be a no holds barred forum. If you ask a bad question, you should learn from it. If you ask a good question, don't be surprised if it goes unanswered. Know who you're dealing with and don't get your feelings hurt. In the end, strangers don't matter.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I feel the same way! I'm afraid to post on the community because of that. I mean, I posted a recipe the other day and several people made fun of it.

Really? Where?

Unfortunately you get all sorts of people on the internet.. MFP is no different than any other forum. Take the good, leave the bad, and stop adding to the drama by posting a thread about it. What help did THAT do? Your comment about abs and bikini wearers was no better than what you're complaining about.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I feel like this thread is similar to our elders saying "Back in my days".

Back in the days, people still stole
    Back in the days, there were still rapists, pedophilers and wife beater
    Back in the days, stuff was cheap but so were the wages

The only difference is that due to media, things are more open and exposed now vs. the hush kept secret before.

Similarly on MFP, all those things have always been around. However the population is much greater on MFP and so said things are surfacing easier. Its all good. Its part of the culture. The same "mean" people are still around. I know many of them. Many outdate you in terms of joining date.

In short, just ignore something you don't like. Or report it if it really REALLY bothers you (but don't report just because somebody disagrees with you. Report because it was truly cruel or nasty in nature)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Nobody likes a whiner.
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Yes I got bashed about something I posted-I was under the impression that is was a serious question being asked-ha was I ever wrong "apparently you didn't see it as a joke question" gee really to me being married to the same person for 26+ years is serious. Now I stroll the posts-but am very-very selective about when and what I post or about what.
    As if in this effed up world some people have to be mean/ugly to others that are giving it a shot to improve their personal health-we wonder where children learn to bully or bullies come from-I want to yell "Look in the damn mirror" Ok done ranting have a great day:smile:
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think a lot has to do with people not doing a "search" before they post. It really does get old seeing the same posts everyday.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    This won't help at all.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Honestly, they can be great, and they can be sarcastic.

To some, sarcastic is even greater.

I have seen them get mean. But I have seen them accomplish some pretty awesome things. I guess it all depends on what is being posted.

I know that if I post, I need to either a) grow a thick skin - I'm working on it now b) research before I post if I'm putting out my theory c) have fun

Sorry that MFP seems like a mean place to be, but I liken it to this analogy...

When I had a dog, it was my job to go out and clean up the messes. When I was looking for them, I found them EVERYWHERE, and it grossed me out.... even though the day before I went out, I barely noticed them. Just enough to adjust my course to avoid them.

If you're looking for *kitten*, you're going to find it. Sometimes it finds you without you looking for it, but for the most part, it's easily avoidable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree. Not too long ago there was a member asking for help. Her post contained some common misconceptions. Instead of trying to be helpful a handful of users began the bashing, which quickly because bullying. Even after if became clear that the OP was genuinely hurt and humiliated by the comments it didn't stop. If anything it got worse. Like a sharks smelling blood it became a feeding frenzy. She closed her account.

I think some people just don't understand the "pal" part of the site.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    tumblr_maak1zaSMy1r3a62yo1_1280.jpg
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    They may have gotten the six-pack or bikini body, but they're still fat inside.

Sorry, still fat inside? Do you realize what you just said?
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who point out that this is part and parcel of the Internet. The ability to post anonymously has brought out more ugliness than I had ever imagined existing in people. And yes, the forums get a little insane and so I like to stay out of the more spittle-flying debates.

The forums could become less helpful over time if this increases. But friends will always be valuable. MFP could always charge a little money, which would keep most trolls out. But there's something lovely about this utterly free world where people (mostly) help each other toward wonderful goals.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The funniest think about the people who bash over the internet wouldn't have any courage to say it to your face. Internet bullies can hide behind a computer get their satisfaction all they want, but really, it's a clear sign of weakness.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I know that there are voices in a community that are not heard by everyone, and because I hear the sentiment expressed in this topic on a regular basis from a great number of members who are too intimidated or afraid to post… I wanted to thank the OP for addressing this issue.

I encourage everyone who participates in our message boards to remember the purpose for our community is to provide people with a supportive, friendly, fun place to share a common desire to lead healthier lives.

I respectfully ask that our community keep in mind our first guideline, "do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger." As well as our second guideline which requests that people please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. I also want to remind people to please not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Last but not least, please also remember the ignore feature is a great way to ignore posts from members you don't want to see.

Thanks to all of our members, who every day, participate constructively in our community. There is a lot of wisdom and experience here and I hope also a lot of kindness, understanding, and support.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I agree and its a reason I dont participate as much as I used to. Sometimes I wonder why a long term member says "that topic again, do a search" Maybe the member asking the question doesnt know how to do a search and maybe they want some personal interaction. Why lash out at a newbie?

I also think that sometimes MFP is more of a flirting / dating site than a fitness site...

Or, simply ignore the troll posts. In order to be nice to someone you usually have to give a little of yourself and there are lots of people here that have nothing to give because they simply dont like themselves so have nothing good to say about anyone.
    Ignore them, they suck the life out of anyone that comes near them.
This discussion has been closed.