The decline of MFP

Options

Replies

• Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Just because someone reaches their goal weight and can wear a bikini with confidence does not mean that they are unattractive, cold-hearted snobs with a superiority complex.

Just because someone is still fat and is still shy about showing the way they look in less clothing, does not mean they are nice, selfless, caring, supportive and better than anyone else, either.

Some people reach goal weight and look absolutely terrible naked.

Some people reach their goal body but never their weight.

Some people are here to continually improve themselves.

Some people are here to ask a million questions and never read the answers.

Some people are here to have their excuses validated.

Some people are here to have their excuses annihilated.

Some people are here to complain about the necessity of imposing universal standards on "nice", "supportive" "attractive", "curvy" and "funny".

Some people are here just to represent the 1% that feels differently.

Some people are here just to track their food and exercise out of curiosity.

Some people are here to train for an event and have NEVER been overweight.

Some people are here to cause trouble.

Some people are here to waste time procrastinating instead of working out.

Some people are here because they like to read.

Some people are here because they like to write.

Some people are here because they like to blog.

Some people are here because they like to answer questions.

Some people are here because they like to comment/support.

Some people are here because they like to start mischief.

Some people are here because they like to be offended and get all righteously furious on behalf of ______.

What you really truly should be asking yourself is this:

"Am I doing everything possible right now to get myself closer to MY goals, and will the behavior of those people Im talking about - actually stop me from reaching those goals, and if it will - why am I so easily influenced by this and why am I letting the behavior of strangers on the internet affect my workouts and nutrition?"

Good luck, OP. :drinker:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    This site is awesome... I have truly learned so much from my loud mouth know-it-all friends. Most importantly I learned that this is a lifestyle and in life we must have humor, wine, sex, and plenty of bacon!

plenty of bacon

sex is optional...

if its ONLY optional, you may as well dig my grave now.... screw that.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I would be the first to admit that there are genuinely people on MFP who come here pissed off at something and take it out on strangers. They are rude without reason etc etc.

However, I have also learned that, that is about only 5% of the time. The other 95% time its just somebody who

1) The wrong way. Basically a misunderstanding
    2) Over sensitive or have some cultural difference so caused a difference in opinion (which is apparently not allowed in our society nowadays)
    3) Somebody disagreed with them . Seriously, this is the major one! So many people come here expecting a certain answer and when they don't get it, they think others are being mean to them...
    4) People come to a support site expecting to be supported. No matter what. Many people think just because this is a support site its going to support them through any bat-sh** crazy stuff. An example is the pro-Anorexics. I have seen many threads where they come here making posts (similar to this) and asking others to respect their decision. They think its mean that others aren't supporting their ED (Not recovery from it mind you).

This. I am under no obligation to "support" anyone outside of who I choose to support. That's life, people who are shocked at that shock me.
    So what I'm hearing is that being fat is akin to being a horrible person? That's neat. Glad we cleared that up....

My question as well. If we are discussing "unsupportive", then relating fat people to negative personality traits is a bad move on a site where most of us are or were fat.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I realised when I was around 4 or 5 years old that some people are mean, some are nice and some can be a bit of both (depending on their mood)...
    I got over it :bigsmile:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Better than explaining to you, I invite you to run a community as big as this with limited manpower. I have ran a much smaller community and I know the headaches that go with it.

And if you need more enlightenment heres something for you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/793812-i-know-you-need-some-so-come-and-get-some

Great job utterly failing to substantiate your slam. See you 'round.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You're right OP.

I guess it's a combination of things. I grew up in a tough neighborhood. My mom didn't love me and I was picked on alot in elementary school.

I've floated though this world alone and lonely like bush weed tumbling through the breeze.

I'm 29 years old. I live with my mom. I've got a dead end job and the only REAL satisfaction I get is coming onto MFP forums and giving people a hard time.

My life is empty

:sad:

Quite simply, I adore you.

Also, sitting behind this keyboard is the first time in my life I have ever felt brave. I'm not like this to anyone's face, though, because I'm too sad.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I am not reporting this person however I don't think this is the ideal thread since

1) Its one side of the story

All these "you all are big meanies" posts are.

Oh well...

Carry on with the drama folks. *nibbles popcorn*
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I know that there are voices in a community that are not heard by everyone, and because I hear the sentiment expressed in this topic on a regular basis from a great number of members who are too intimidated or afraid to post… I wanted to thank the OP for addressing this issue.

I encourage everyone who participates in our message boards to remember the purpose for our community is to provide people with a supportive, friendly, fun place to share a common desire to lead healthier lives.

I respectfully ask that our community keep in mind our first guideline, "do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger." As well as our second guideline which requests that people please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. I also want to remind people to please not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Last but not least, please also remember the ignore feature is a great way to ignore posts from members you don't want to see.

Thanks to all of our members, who every day, participate constructively in our community. There is a lot of wisdom and experience here and I hope also a lot of kindness, understanding, and support.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
    I've been around here since 2011. I loved the information, support and the friends I've made. You'd have the occasional argument about HCG or "starvation" mode but it seem things have decline more than "opinions".

I recently came cross a post from someone looking for support. After so many pages they finally fessed up they just posted to get a rise out of people. But not before making some laughs at the expense of those that genuinely tried to help this person and the advice they have based on their own struggles.

It just appauls me. This site is FULL of people dealing with security issues and struggles and the thought that a few who already have achieved their goals and have six pack and bikini pics are now using others for pure sport. Many people here come here because they DON'T know what's what or have answers. Some people stay motivated by helping others and some want to use that for their own ego boost. Congrats. You've got the abs or you bought the bikini. Doesn't mean you're an attractive person.

I am not reporting this person however I don't think this is the ideal thread since

1) Its one side of the story
    2) SHE is the one that is mean...

I could not leave this thread ( I was going to because I really didn't have any thing to add ) without quoting this, just for truths sake.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Better than explaining to you, I invite you to run a community as big as this with limited manpower. I have ran a much smaller community and I know the headaches that go with it.

And if you need more enlightenment heres something for you

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/793812-i-know-you-need-some-so-come-and-get-some

Great job utterly failing to substantiate your slam. See you 'round.

What, no hug? How mean...
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This thread needed a gif.

w3Nbr_zps1f0f7216.gif
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I love MFP! Forums included. I, too, have been here since 2011, although I didn't really start utilizing the forums until last year. And I spent months just READING, and using that handy little search function to absorb the wealth of information that's available here. I learned a lot from the successful, experienced people that are on here.

I came here with a LOT of wrong ideas about health and fitness that I never would have changed if it weren't for those people that are considered "mean" for disagreeing. I didn't come here for hand-holding, because ultimately I'm the only one who can instill change in my life. And if I post something that's potentially unhealthy or there's a better option, I hope people tell me!

I am now on a path that is 100% different from the one I started with back in 2011 (and finally getting success) and I'm forever grateful for the people and their knowledge on these forums that led me there.

I don't see all the bashing that people seem to whine about, but maybe I'm just not as sensitive.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    "Like a bush weed floating in the wind". . (((Hugs)))) I love it!

I get support, I get questions answered, I get a great data base of foods and I think it's healthy and fun to laugh.

I need to laugh. This is one of the places I come to for a laugh. It has been helpful for me. Should I be going elsewhere?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    This site is awesome... I have truly learned so much from my loud mouth know-it-all friends. Most importantly I learned that this is a lifestyle and in life we must have humor, wine, sex, and plenty of bacon!

plenty of bacon

sex is optional...

lol... wanna borrow my shovel? I'm getting tired of digging mine.
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I seen a profile pic of a woman yesterday in a bikini wanting to lose 20 pounds. She didn't look like she needed to lose any weight. I also seen a guy yesterday that his picture looked like it came straight out of a fitness magazine. And I have noticed people's nasty comments about healthy recipes.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    You're right OP.

I guess it's a combination of things. I grew up in a tough neighborhood. My mom didn't love me and I was picked on alot in elementary school.

I've floated though this world alone and lonely like bush weed tumbling through the breeze.

I'm 29 years old. I live with my mom. I've got a dead end job and the only REAL satisfaction I get is coming onto MFP forums and giving people a hard time.

My life is empty

:sad:

However, abs.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

plenty of bacon

sex is optional...

lol... wanna borrow my shovel? I'm getting tired of digging mine.

does this mean we're giving up? *sigh*
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'll say the same thing here that I did on the 'Rise of MFP' post

I honestly see both ways.There are a lot of trolls on this site and a lot of people who think it's their way or the highway. But I do see a good community of people helping others.
    I don't see a rise and I don't see a decline. I see a community of people acting like humans do.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYoEaRRgK3jS7Q5z_H7zj14f7AfCcZqCuNQ71iFIg0sr_vDi3A

LOOK! Ponies & Rainbows!!!!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    The old-vs-new happens on every forum I've ever been a member of. Older members reminisce about how it used to be better, newer members try (often with limited success) to integrate. Some people gain an untouchable status- regardless of whether their behavior is appropriate or not- while others burn bridges early on with no hope for redemption.

Pretty much just summed this all up!

And use the damn search function!!!!
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Well I'm pretty damn grateful to all those "mean" people who busted their @sses and owe me NOTHING, but still come on here to refute all the nonsense that gets thrown around, in spite of getting flack from people who are humorless, dim, or both. They saved me a lot of disappointment, discomfort and self-loathing. I was going to rage-type some manifesto but someone else already did a much better job than I can right now.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/898151-the-rise-of-mfp

Edit because I was irritated and accidentally cut myself off before
This discussion has been closed.