Found money...what would you do?

Options
123457»

Replies

• fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'd return it. The people were tourists from out of the country, and I'm sure the pictures they took during the trip would mean a great deal to them. If I were in their position, I would want somebody to return my belongings also. I operate under to motto "treat others how you want to be treated".

^ This EXACTLY (standing ovation)

There's too much bad in this world already. Being bad to people because others have been bad to you only continues the insanity. Not only that, but I believe there is some sort of cosmic karma that eventually catches up to people. I'd like to think that eventually, here or in the afterlife, good people are rewarded for going good things with a pure heart (ie: expecting nothing in return.)
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be tempted, but ultimately return it. I once kept a lost dog for 3 days and called every area code in Texas to try and find the owner (the tag had a number but no area code.) Turns out the dog belonged to a 90 year old man who was desperate to get him back. His daughter also gave me something like $250 as a reward. I would have just been happy to get the nice old man his dog back. Integrity can have unexpected rewards I think.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    buy drugs
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would turn it in, mostly because I am a horrible liar and I would think about it every single day if I kept it and I really don't handle guilt well. I'd be guilty AND super overweight here on MFP because I would be eating my way through my guilt. Plus, I would hope if it was mine somebody would return it to me.
  • Macgeek74
    Macgeek74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I know me, ide return it which sucks cause no ever turns int he crap ive lost.
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If there was something to identify the owners....I'd feel guilty and return it.

If there was NO WAY to trace it back to someone....it would be all mine!

Over this past Christmas holiday I was in a walmart check out line and spotted a 20 on the floor (I thought *bonus*) but then I saw a woman madly searching her pockets and looking around the floor, she didn't see the 20 but I did, I gave it back to her.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    yeah, if there was contact information i'd return it. i'd feel too guilty not to. i know how much $11000 is and how devastated i'd be if i lost it.
    i once had $187000 put into my bank account by accident. i kept quiet for a few days and i hoped nobody would notice, and dreamed about and planned what i'd spend such a huge amount of money on. but it just ate away at my conscience and i told the bank what happened.
    i like to think karma exists.
    but if there was no contact information, i'd probably take the lions share and also help out a few other families i know that are struggling. that way i'd feel less guilty but still enjoy some benefit.
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Return it. Karma is a *****, plus I would forever feel guilty.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Return it if it had an address, if not....:drinker:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    If it were in a wallet or purse and had some kind of ID, I'd return it. If there were no identification, I'd be on Expedia right now planing a vacation.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    Absolutely. I wouldn't have been able to just keep it. As much as it would help me out, I know it would have been wrong and wasn't my hard earned money. They were good people! Hope the people were appreciative of their kindness!