Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• bookgirl_72
    Options
    Package of sausage links that come 4 to a package, lists nutrition info per 2oz serving instead of per link. total package is 14oz. You have to solve a word problem to eat sausage.

Frozen enchilada entree containing 2 enchiladas. Serving size is one enchilada. One sad, lonely enchilada. Everyone knows enchiladas are served in pairs.

Word problems before you can eat. I'll go get my calculator!
  • astralweeks82
    astralweeks82 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm the only one, but instant oatmeal. One packet does NOTHING for me, I've tried! Granted, I make mine fairly "dry" so maybe that has something to do with it, but still. Even my little girls, who eat like birds, ask for more after one packet!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My life is over..... what in the world am I going to do with THAT?! shove that pink quarter back where you found it, please and thank you.

Macaroons are famous because they are very hard to make ("high kitchen" sweets) and in this country you have entire shops built around them - same in Western-Northern Europe.

My personal opinion it is an overhyped pastry sold at literally the price of gold... and it tastes like egg whites and SUGAR. But many people seem to love it.
    They are very fattening of course.
    Very fattening? Seriously? You can eat 4 of the ones in the picture for the calorie cost of one Pop-Tart. Not that I have anything against Pop-Tarts. But macarons are yummy, too. The ones Trader Joe's sells are even slightly less calorific, at 45 calories each. 12 to a pack, 3 people in my house, 4 each for a great, 180-calorie dessert that's very easy to fit within my daily calorie goal.
  • rochelle6210
    rochelle6210 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As for the Tombstone Pizza..................I worked that one out. I cut the pizza into 6 pieces and eat 1 1/2. Works for me whether it comes out or not. Most other foods I just round up to nearest cup or oz. I don't want to be too anal about measuring. Takes longer to figure it out than actually spend time eating it.:laugh:
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a jar of pickles that says serving size: 2/3 pickle. Whaaa???
  • murrishmo
    Options
    Queso dip! Two tablespoons? Puhlease. Also while we're on the subject, tortilla chips. 12? Absolutely not!
  • KatjaO
    KatjaO Posts: 71
    Options
    As for the Tombstone Pizza..................I worked that one out. I cut the pizza into 6 pieces and eat 1 1/2. Works for me whether it comes out or not. Most other foods I just round up to nearest cup or oz. I don't want to be too anal about measuring. Takes longer to figure it out than actually spend time eating it.:laugh:

But that is a 1/4 pizza. 1.5/6=3/12=1/4 :(

Safer to round down to that 1/6.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

Not me-can't do it!!! Especially the Frosted Strawberry ones......
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    Oh I'm so glad I live in a mostly metric country. All food labels are in 100g (or ml, whichever is appropriate) and along side that is the info for a serving which is usually something like; one pack, one rasher, one biscuit, one pot, 1 average piece of fruit (plus weight), etc.

I don't think I've seen many stupid serving sizes. Some might be a little on the small side though :(
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Pasta. I can't have pasta without having a giant plate of it, but the serving size is supposed to be like the size of your fist or whatever. I need bigger fists.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The pita that I get to dip my hummus in is 70 cals for 1 g which is a serving. No mention of how many servings per container, I don't have a food scale....wtf?! I just take half of one pita and count it as 1.5 servings
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout Cookies. They should provide nutrition info for the sleeve, since that's what my fellow fatties and I want to eat anyway

YESSS!! 2 is a serving of my beloved Peanut Butter Patties/Tagalongs! I stopped buying them...my daughter just joined Girl Scouts though. I am soooo screwed! :sad: :grumble:
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    The pita that I get to dip my hummus in is 70 cals for 1 g which is a serving. No mention of how many servings per container, I don't have a food scale....wtf?! I just take half of one pita and count it as 1.5 servings

70 kcal/g is way off, even in another country I can't image it would be much different from this: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254945564
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    croutons....2 tbsp? should be pieces

Yeah i was kinda laughing at these but i gota admit this one pisss me off. how in the heck tdo you meassure a tablespoon of croutons lol
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of peanut butter. Significantly less than you think if you're using actual tablespoons too (try weighing it!!). GTFO... gimme the jar and a spoon.

And then when you're trying to measure it out, half of it gets stuck to the spoon and you need to use another spoon to wipe it off. It's a 5 minute process.
    Here's what I do. Use a digital food scale. Place one slice of bread and the butter knife on it and power on, mine will auto-tare and read 0mg. Use the knife to get some PB and place back on the bread. Adjust (add/remove) until you read the desired serving size (mine is 32g). Although its a lot less than I used to use (probably was 2.5 servings), it's still a surprisingly decent amount for a slice of bread.
    I do the same with jam, except I do that before the PB.

Enjoy!

That's a good tip for the next time I make a sandwich.

Unfortunately, most of the time I'm mixing peanut butter in with my oatmeal for breakfast.
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes...yes...and yes to all of them!!

I had a rectangular pizza that had a serving size of 1/7th?!?! While possible to cut, entirely annoying!
  • janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I once picked up a package of taco shells it had fewer calories/fat, etc. than the other packages I was looking at. Then I looked at the serving size. There were 12 taco shells in that box, and it said there were 18 servings. Who eats 2/3 of a taco?
  • janalo55
    janalo55 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Also, chips always annoy me because it says "16 chips" when they are all different sizes! But most packages also have grams listed and I have a scale, so I use that.

In fact, on a side note, I use the scale when I'm cooking, especially for measuring shortening or margarine, or peanut butter... anything that sticks in the cup you use to measure it. I figure out how many ounces or grams, put the bowl on the scale and zero it out, and add that weight. Much less mess!
  • jlc1243
    jlc1243 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

Totally this!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Oh....and, I hate when bread has a 1 slice serving! My hubby bought a loaf of bread cause he thought the cals and fat were low....not realizing it was a 1 slice serving, where most bread shows 2 slices!