Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Muffins at Quik Trip... the worst part is if you look at the label, it's like 200 or 300 calories for one serving. One serving is 1/3 of the muffin.

I think I'll skip the muffin.

They package the muffin as one serving and then put on the label that it's really 3 servings. That is deceiving and I don't think they should be allowed to do that.
  • runforsummer
    runforsummer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Trail mix (of any variety). How and why would I eat only 1/4 cup? Not happening.
    Also, PASTA! Really, 2 oz. is a serving? It takes much more (even though I eat whole wheat) than that to fill me up.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    re: 2 tbsp of peanut butter. Significantly less than you think if you're using actual tablespoons too (try weighing it!!). GTFO... gimme the jar and a spoon.

I concur, there is not a lovelier food in the world than PB!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    How are you supposed to measure an accurate serving, even with a kitchen scale, if they only give the information for the UNCOOKED product?! To get an accurate serving I'd have to measure and cook each serving individually. Not gonna happen.

I learned this for my son who I have to count carbs for diabetes, but it works for calories, too.

You compute the calories for the whole box and prepare it. Say the entire box is 2000 calories, and weighs 1500g when cooked.

You then pull off a 437g serving of cooked pasta. 437/1500 = 29% of the box.
    2000cal * 29% = 580 calories

Same idea holds for a full recipe with multiple ingredients.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Bought a sleeve of trail mix the other day, 3.5 oz. A serving size is 1 oz. So do the math.....3.5 servings per sleeve. I mean seriously.
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    2 friggin samoas for 160 calories. Who the hell eats TWO samoas?
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    IDK if this was mentioned- But Tostinos pizzas- Says for 1/16 of pizza calories- which makes 1 whole pizza like 1000+ calories.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    2 Tablespoons of Peanut butter....SERIOUSLY?

Note sarcasm. And yes...I'd eat it straight out of the jar.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Almonds! 140 cals an ounce! Which figures out to about 23 almonds. 23 almonds??!! That's 1 bite! :laugh:
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Looking at a box of cookies last night, one servicing size was 7 1/2 cookies...little, itty, bitty cookies (think animal cracker size). Who would just eat 1/2 a cookie.

Cereal is the one I can't do. I was one of those growing up that would use an old butter tub for a cereal bowl. 1 little cup as a serving size...can't do it.

YUP Cereal is a *kitten*! One cup! ONE! One freakin cup is supposed to do the trick?! NO! I REFUSE! Must..have..two..or..more..

Right! And I love how on the box and the commercials the people are eating an actual BOWL of cereal. Some cereals have the nerve to be 3/4 of a cup for a serving.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do. Use a digital food scale. Place one slice of bread and the butter knife on it and power on, mine will auto-tare and read 0mg. Use the knife to get some PB and place back on the bread. Adjust (add/remove) until you read the desired serving size (mine is 32g). Although its a lot less than I used to use (probably was 2.5 servings), it's still a surprisingly decent amount for a slice of bread.
    I do the same with jam, except I do that before the PB.

Enjoy!

I do the reverse. I put the jar of PB on the scale and tare it. Then I use the knife to take out / add back until the scale shows -32g.

THIS is effing brilliant.... problem solved!!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Looking at a box of cookies last night, one servicing size was 7 1/2 cookies...little, itty, bitty cookies (think animal cracker size). Who would just eat 1/2 a cookie.

Cereal is the one I can't do. I was one of those growing up that would use an old butter tub for a cereal bowl. 1 little cup as a serving size...can't do it.

YUP Cereal is a *kitten*! One cup! ONE! One freakin cup is supposed to do the trick?! NO! I REFUSE! Must..have..two..or..more..

Right! And I love how on the box and the commercials the people are eating an actual BOWL of cereal. Some cereals have the nerve to be 3/4 of a cup for a serving.

Good one. GRAPE NUTS...It's like 1/2 cup?! Are you JOKING? Granola is just as bad!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    THIS is effing brilliant.... problem solved!!

Yep, easy-peasy... just need a scale that reads negative (some don't and show ERROR).
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts! 200 cals for ONE! And seriously...who eats just one?? And WHY are they packaged in twos???
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    DQ small vanilla cone.
    230 calories.
    That's about the size of my normal breakfast :brokenheart:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    PF Changs has these rice bowls that they market as a healthy lunch alternative to their regular menu. They boast 280-350 calories per serving! Awesomesauce, right? Well.....the rice bowl they serve to you is TWO AND A HALF SERVINGS.

I was furious at PF Changs when I learned this.

I haven't been back.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Oreo cookies -2 cookies. really?
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Little pretzel sticks. You buy the big bag, and it says 39 pretzels per serving. 39???? ridiculous!
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The 'obesity' epidemic as it is painted is not caused necessarily in my opinion by the people, but by those that provide the food. They don't provide quality or accurate information, and often package things in a way that we misconstrue how much is a serving. A bottle of soda for example...we may know by common knowledge now that a 20 OZ is 2.5 servings, but if when that size is marketed to the masses everywhere as an individual serving, it distorts the thought patterns. As many said, same with poptarts. If things were actually marketed to their correct proportions, and we were aware of what truly is an individual serving, I for one would much better understand what I am supposed to be eating on a daily basis as opposed to what I have been taught by food distributors.

But alas, we are the generations of the large drink and the double cheese burger, where more is better, and less is wholly inadequate.

Epidemic hahaaha. Ok heres this- An "epidemic" is something that spreads very rapidly to multiple people (disease) I dont understand why I caught the fat but my 110lb mother never did. I hate media. Ridiculous.
    EX: for naysayers: SARS was considered an epidemic in 2005- out of 7 billion people it affected 800 world wide. Dont you love logic? It doesn't exist for the media.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Not sure if these have been covered yet, but my current peeves are:

1 of Amy's Cheese Enchiladas (there are 2 in the package, not individually wrapped, and under a heap of sauce... yeah right!)

1/2 of a Liz Lovely cookie. Yes, they're very big cookies, and I've always managed to temper myself and only eat 1/2 at a sitting (because the calorie tally for a whole cookie is pretty ridiculous - also makes them last longer since they're kind of pricey), but it takes a LOT of self-restraint.