Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm just shocked at how many adults are still eating Pop Tarts.
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    For those frustrated with the dry vs cooked pasta, pasta typically swells when it's cooked. If you want just one serving, measure out the dry amount, and it should be the prepared measured amount when you are finished cooking. I don't usually make one serving of pasta (since I will be feeding my whole family). I just make it, and then measure the correct amount for myself.

I do this too. In my experience an 85g dry serving of pasta swells to about 200g cooked give or take 10g for the pasta shape. I find ramen noodles to be ridiculous at 2 servings per package. The noodle cups or bowls are even worse. I can't see someone sharing a cup that is designed to be eaten out of :laugh:
  • monilove78
    monilove78 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

^^^^THIS!!!!!
  • monilove78
    Options
    Package of sausage links that come 4 to a package, lists nutrition info per 2oz serving instead of per link. total package is 14oz. You have to solve a word problem to eat sausage.

Frozen enchilada entree containing 2 enchiladas. Serving size is one enchilada. One sad, lonely enchilada. Everyone knows enchiladas are served in pairs.

LOL! Right!
  • monilove78
    Options
    PAM cooking spray for the win!!!!

pam-nutrition.jpg

1/3 second spray? really? WTF?

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Winner! I just say bump that and spray until my pan is evenly coated. Yes sir I do! lol
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Package of sausage links that come 4 to a package, lists nutrition info per 2oz serving instead of per link. total package is 14oz. You have to solve a word problem to eat sausage.

Frozen enchilada entree containing 2 enchiladas. Serving size is one enchilada. One sad, lonely enchilada. Everyone knows enchiladas are served in pairs.

Word problems before you can eat. I'll go get my calculator!

My boyfriend just did this math: 4/7 of a link is a serving. O_o or 56% of a link.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp of peanut butter. Significantly less than you think if you're using actual tablespoons too (try weighing it!!). GTFO... gimme the jar and a spoon.

OMG, when I finally got a digital food scale and started weighing everything, I was DISGUSTED with how much peanut butter calories I had been consuming! I LOVE peanut butter, too!!! I bet I scooped a whole tablespoon for every 1/8 peice of apple I ate!!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    a tablespoon of croutons. Really? That is 2 small ones or 1 large one depending on the brand.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

pam-nutrition.jpg

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Winner! I just say bump that and spray until my pan is evenly coated. Yes sir I do! lol

And the frustrating thing is that if do opt to use more, you can't figure out the real calories because they've been rounded down to zero!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Ben & Jerry's - 1/2 cup. Pure. Torture.

No such size with Ben & Jerry's

I agree... I have a little tub of it in my fridge and when I eat it... I will enjoy every ounce of that calorie and fat ridden deliciousness!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add my packet of Lipton - Tea & Honey - Iced Black Tea Packet - Lemon. Serving size is 1/2 a packet. REALLY? there's no one I can equally measure out half of it without using my food scale :laugh: I think I can handle seeing the serving size as 1 and that it's 10 calories instead of 5
  • horseyhudson
    Options
    Those nature valley bars.

If you eat 1 it's 90, if you eat two it's 190!

Where does the 10 extra calories come from?!
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you leave it , it gets stale and is no good so you have to eat it as to not waste food.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Canned soup says "about 2 serving sizes" but if you compare the net weight of the entire can to the weight of the serving size, it's usually 2 1/3 servings. So my 100 calories per serving soup that I thought was 200 calories per can is actually 230 per can!
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If that spray has no nutrional benefit (they are all zeros) then what difference does putting a serving size on it make? let alone 1/3 of a spray? pfft! some brands need to think before they print!

Oh and I agree with literally all of these! Brilliant thread!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Totino's Party pizzas. They are TINY and a serving is HALF the pizza. I can nibble away that much just carrying it from the toaster oven to the table!

This reminds me of a frozen pizza serving I've seen: "1/5 of a pizza". Who the heck cuts their pizza into fifths?! LOL

I like to cut my pizzas into 10 pieces, then when I eat 4 pieces, I'm still only having 2 servings...
  • hilsidney
    hilsidney Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm Norwegian, and truly puzzled over the whole "serving size" thing - more and more label their products per 100 grams and for that I'm thankful. Why call it a "serving" in the first place? I can have seconds or thirds, no problem, but "one serving equals not enough for anything useful" is just.... crazy - and definitely not very helpful. Probably just the manufacturers' way of selling a product that seemingly is healthy, low-fat or whatever. I like the gram/desiliter approach when it's possible to estimate. I try to use "cups" for measuring pasta, that is an understandable approach (though 1 cup of pasta is still.. tiny...)

I'm basically puzzled over serving sizes in general (I rarely have ONE serving), beginning to learn the oz-world and make do with a calculator if need be. Shouldn't be necessery but still. One thing I really don't understand:

Net carbs

What is that, anyways???

Hey! I'm moving to Norway and I need to figure out how to calculate everything. The serving size thing is really silly, I totally admit it, especially reading this thread, but I am used to it I guess. Maybe you can give me advice. :)
  • cardio_fiend
    Options
    Ben & Jerry's - 1/2 cup. Pure. Torture.

Totally. Agree!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    croutons....2 tbsp? should be pieces

I hate this - it makes no sense. I won't buy any of brand of croutons that doesn't list their servings in pieces.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

pam-nutrition.jpg

And the frustrating thing is that if do opt to use more, you can't figure out the real calories because they've been rounded down to zero!

I use a food scale and log it as canola oil. That will overestimate the amount eaten due to how much stays in the pan vs the food, but it's better than nothing. A typical amount used to coat the pan is not negligible