Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    croutons....2 tbsp? should be pieces

I hate this - it makes no sense. I won't buy any of brand of croutons that doesn't list their servings in pieces.
    All foods have a weight of the serving size as well (at least in the United States). Using this and a food scale is the easiest and most accurate way.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Keeblers Sandies Shortbread Cookies
    Only 2 Cookies? Really? Gotta eat at least 4 or five as a serving.

But 2 Cookies is 160 cals!
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't have one here so I can't check, but my "favorite" serving size was that a can of Coke was 1.5(?) servings. Because carbonated canned beverages are so good when you go to drink that remaining half serving the next day.
  • TehNoms
    TehNoms Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Keeblers Sandies Shortbread Cookies
    Only 2 Cookies? Really? Gotta eat at least 4 or five as a serving.

But 2 Cookies is 160 cals!

Mmmmm cookies. I LOVE those cookies. And I agree, 4-5 is a serving. Its like potato chips, you cannot eat just one or two.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    If that spray has no nutrional benefit (they are all zeros) then what difference does putting a serving size on it make? let alone 1/3 of a spray? pfft! some brands need to think before they print!

Oh and I agree with literally all of these! Brilliant thread!

It actually does have calories, but if it's under 1 they round down. However if you use 10 servings of it, you probably are getting close to 10 calories.
  • RubySinclair
    RubySinclair Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    if ice cream calories are measured by the cup does it still count as one cup if you smash the whole container into one cup?

Can't fault your logic.... I stumbled across a chardonnay last night with the serving being '1 glass'
    Bottles are made of glass right... best 200 calories I spent all day

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :love: :drinker:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

haha.. me.. i didn't know that was a serving though. I just can't eat two at once. They are too sweet. LOL (I rarely ever eat them anyway)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    croutons....2 tbsp? should be pieces

I hate this - it makes no sense. I won't buy any of brand of croutons that doesn't list their servings in pieces.
    All foods have a weight of the serving size as well (at least in the United States). Using this and a food scale is the easiest and most accurate way.

What kind of croutons are so even that counting pieces would be more accurate than using a tablespoon?
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hood golden eggnog : 180 cal per serving sounds good right until you see that one serving is 4 ounces :sad: :grumble: :grumble: :noway:

But I :heart: :love: I was just :brokenheart: when I first found out :angry:
  • Counttheshadows
    Options
    The 'obesity' epidemic as it is painted is not caused necessarily in my opinion by the people, but by those that provide the food. They don't provide quality or accurate information, and often package things in a way that we misconstrue how much is a serving. A bottle of soda for example...we may know by common knowledge now that a 20 OZ is 2.5 servings, but if when that size is marketed to the masses everywhere as an individual serving, it distorts the thought patterns. As many said, same with poptarts. If things were actually marketed to their correct proportions, and we were aware of what truly is an individual serving, I for one would much better understand what I am supposed to be eating on a daily basis as opposed to what I have been taught by food distributors.

But alas, we are the generations of the large drink and the double cheese burger, where more is better, and less is wholly inadequate.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. Who eats just 1 pop tart?

So true, I always eat two!,
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Girl Scout Cookies. They should provide nutrition info for the sleeve, since that's what my fellow fatties and I want to eat anyway

AMEN!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The 'obesity' epidemic as it is painted is not caused necessarily in my opinion by the people, but by those that provide the food. They don't provide quality or accurate information, and often package things in a way that we misconstrue how much is a serving. A bottle of soda for example...we may know by common knowledge now that a 20 OZ is 2.5 servings, but if when that size is marketed to the masses everywhere as an individual serving, it distorts the thought patterns. As many said, same with poptarts. If things were actually marketed to their correct proportions, and we were aware of what truly is an individual serving, I for one would much better understand what I am supposed to be eating on a daily basis as opposed to what I have been taught by food distributors.

But alas, we are the generations of the large drink and the double cheese burger, where more is better, and less is wholly inadequate.

Food as business is definitely part of the problem. After all, the primary interest of a food manufacturer is to encourage you to eat more of their food.
  • icandowhateveriputmymindto
    Options
    Most chips. 13 chips won't cut it, I'm sorry.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Food as business is definitely part of the problem. After all, the primary interest of a food manufacturer is to encourage you to eat more of their food.

I agree with them being PART of the problem, but at some point in my climb to 326lbs I KNEW that shoveling that crap into my mouth wasn't healthy and I did it anyway. There has to be some personal responsibility.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    For those frustrated with the dry vs cooked pasta, pasta typically swells when it's cooked. If you want just one serving, measure out the dry amount, and it should be the prepared measured amount when you are finished cooking. I don't usually make one serving of pasta (since I will be feeding my whole family). I just make it, and then measure the correct amount for myself.
    Earlier this week I cooked a 1lb box of pasta (7 servings) and a jar of sauce (5 servings) to which I added chicken and other ingredients to extend. In the end, I decided that everything was 5 servings. So I measured cooked pasta then measured finished sauce, and just use 1/5 of each per serving. Simple and worked like a champ! I have roughly a pound of food per serving and it was less than 500 cals per serving! #Winning
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I agree with them being PART of the problem, but at some point in my climb to 326lbs I KNEW that shoveling that crap into my mouth wasn't healthy and I did it anyway. There has to be some personal responsibility.

Yep, it's a multi-faceted issue, and will-power and individual knowledge lies at the center of it. With both these things in adequate supply, the other factors wouldn't be able to carry the day. Just this site, and so many people who have lost so much weight, has shown that.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    This might be because there are rules for putting 0g of trans fat on packages. Per serving as long as the trans fat is below, I think it's .5 order to put on the package 0g of trans fat. Even though if you ate 2 servings, then you could be at 1 g of trans fat and not know it. It's something to do with that.
    I don't know about serving sizes but I have an irrational hatred of any container that has fractional servings. Servings per container - 2.5. WTF?

"How many servings shall we put in a container? Two or three? Oh, *kitten* it, let's just split the difference and call it two and a half."

So if it's just me and the wife, we have to store or throw half a serving, or over-eat.
    If it's me, the wife and our daughter, we get stiffed on the servings, or have to open two packets and store/throw two servings.
    If my step-son is visiting, we have to open two packets, and store or throw a serving.
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    Fat free oil? Just like sugar free tic-tacs...

Tic-Tac USA (http://www.tictacusa.com/en/faqs) says:
    "since the amount of sugar per serving (1 mint) is less than 0.5 grams, FDA labeling requirements permit the Nutrition Facts to state that there are 0 grams of sugar per serving."

In the UK (http://www.ferrero.co.uk/products/tic-tac/shake-up/) they have to be a little more honest and list per 100g as well as one serving. Turns out tic-tacs are 97.5% carbs (and I bet nearly all of that is sugar since it's the first ingredient on the ingredient list) o_O
  • busymomathome
    busymomathome Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Earlier this week I cooked a 1lb box of pasta (7 servings) and a jar of sauce (5 servings) to which I added chicken and other ingredients to extend. In the end, I decided that everything was 5 servings. So I measured cooked pasta then measured finished sauce, and just use 1/5 of each per serving. Simple and worked like a champ! I have roughly a pound of food per serving and it was less than 500 cals per serving! #Winning

I had to do this last night when I made spaghetti for my family. I box of pasta with 7 servings, plus 1 jar of sauce with 5 servings (can't they coordinate that?!) plus a pound of lean hamburger all in the recipe calculator, divide by 7 = 350 calories per serving. Looks great on paper, but how on earth are you supposed to divide a big dish of slippery food into sevenths? I did the best I could, but I venture the servings were rather unequal. I mean, come on. How are you supposed to measure an accurate serving, even with a kitchen scale, if they only give the information for the UNCOOKED product?! To get an accurate serving I'd have to measure and cook each serving individually. Not gonna happen.
    I also can't stand odd serving sizes... 7?!? 5?! So much harder to divide something into odd numbered sections. They're killing me!