Women in the UFC? C'MON

Options
123457»

Replies

• Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you are the one who is way off. Where are you getting your information? In your posts, I see a lot of "it seems" and phrases of that nature. Do you have FIRST HAND experience or knowledge? I think not. I do. And if you think that the NFL does not "spit out" their athletes when they are done, you are sadly mistaken. Why don't you talk with some retired NFL players who can't walk down a flight of stairs or who are suffering the effects of multiple concussions? The NFL provides NO retirement plan, health insurance, etc. so these former players are totally on their own.

That being said, the whole "treatment of the players" issue has more to do with the fact that MMA is a sport still in it's formative years and is still building a fan base. It is far less established than the NFL, NBA, etc. So to compare the salaries that the athletes make or the fortunes they have after their playing days are done is suspect at best. And it has little to do with your original post regarding barbarianism. The simple fact of the matter is that other sports are every bit as brutal as MMA. And if you want to tell me that you have issues with boxing, football, hockey, etc as well, then I am fine with your point. At least it is consistent. However, if you do not have the same feelings towards other such sports, you are just ill-informed or potentially ignorant.

Well said.......

dlhix4.jpg
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Man if I was in legit shape, that would be the best job ever. :drinker:
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I love violence & bloodshed. And I would totally roundhouse kick someone in the face if my leg could get that high. :bigsmile: No worries, I'm working on it.
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    MMA has been around in the states for over 20 years and it consist more that just the UFC. As for the formative years thats not accurate because there are so much advertisement, social media, products, etc available to increase revenue unlike the early 1900s. The UFC does not pay thier fighters well and thats a fact.

As for the Rousey. It's amazing how much hype she is getting after 5 fives. I believe if she went against Cyborg she would get destroyed. But I will not watch womens MMA because its sloppy and boring TO ME.
  • IronMikeFox
    Options
    <<sigh>> I am well aware of the history if MMA. If you wanna be picky about it and start with pankration, you could say that MMA is one of the oldest sports. And I am well aware that MMA is more than the UFC. However, the OP was specifically referencing the UFC. And like it or not, MMA as a sport in it's current state in the US, is more closely tied to the UFC than any other organization I could reference that people would know. In fact the current regulations regarding MMA and rule set used by most organizations come, in large part, from the UFC's fight in the late 90's to prevent being outlawed.

I absolutely do agree with you the the UFC does not pay it's mid-tier and below fighters well enough. No arguing there. But again, that has nothing to do with the "barbarianism" comment. As for Rousey vs. Cyborg, I think it depends on if Santos gets off the roids and comes down to Rousey's weight class. At Cyborg's bloated weight (and with her penchant for coming in over weight) I think you're right. But if they fought at 135, I think Rousey could take her. Rousey does, without a doubt need to work on her striking! It is pretty abysmal. But if you watch her takedowns/throws and ground work, her technique is anything but sloppy. But yeah, MMA is really just starting to catch on with women, so the technique is not always there yet. Now that the UFC is going after some of the Olympic judoka, that may change. At least I can hope!
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    In this thread for the Gina Carano gifs. My my... that lady...

Also, the OP has inspired me to re-kindle my dreams of MMA fighting and get back to completing GSP's Rushfit workout.
  • jez4ever
    jez4ever Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love violence & bloodshed. And I would totally roundhouse kick someone in the face if my leg could get that high. :bigsmile: No worries, I'm working on it.

ha ha! That's awesome!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Seriously? As if the sport isn't barbaric enough with dudes. I'm certainly not hatin on people that are into it or watch it, but Women? I don't know.

Sexist. Any human should be given the same opportunities despite gender. It's his or her choice to do UFC and never should be limited based on gender. Women are very capable.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Rather watch them fight than play in the WNBA... why is that sport still around?