OMG! Home food pump for obesity, medically assisted bulemia?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "...Many obese people have already done damage to their body..."

And that justifies doing even more damage under a physician's care? Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath? "...I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone..."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

And that justifies doing even more damage under a physician's care? Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath? "...I will prescribe regimens for the good of my patients according to my ability and my judgment and never do harm to anyone..."

Sometimes not taking extreme measures is doing more harm.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Cuz eating a healthy meal in lieu of a mountain of crap food is so much harder than sticking a tube down your throat after every meal.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This is disgusting and doesn't/will not improve health in the slightest!!!
    Ugh, I am SO SICK of people trying to cut corners with this kind of crap.
    Go and run your *kitten* off and put the pizza down like the rest of us have to!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Knowing how that kind of thing goes, I can see it being used indiscriminately. For the ordinary obese person, it would be highly inappropriate, but if it "works" some number of unscrupulous docs will provide it for $$$. The ancient Romans provided "vomitoriums" for the same purpose. But then, the Roman governing authorities weren't particularly concerned about their citizens mental or physical health.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Knowing how that kind of thing goes, I can see it being used indiscriminately. For the ordinary obese person, it would be highly inappropriate, but if it "works" some number of unscrupulous docs will provide it for $$$.

I agree, and posted the same earlier. Bariatric surgery is that way now. But I don't see how means that it can't be a good thing when used properly.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    So whats the point I think the obese individual with an obvious food addiction will continue to eat they'll be on that machine for hours. Many times the process of digestion and absorption and the release of huge amounts of insulin is what helps to provide the brain with that rush of pleasure hormones it is seeking. I can see this happening though here in the states as soon as it gets FDA approval. You know people would abuse this too. Wouldn't that suck to have a permanent stoma too, yuck!
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oh wow... this makes me sick.. :(
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Hey thought crossed my mind...

Are we all a bunch of idiots for trying to do it the slow and hard way? The hours we spend monitoring and trying to work on our mental and physical health.

Wouldn't it be better to take the easier way out and have prescribed bulimia? Why bother doing it this way when we can just eat whatever crap we want and suck it out.

Wonder what the advantage to doing it this way is besides not having a permanent stoma, having to deal with acidic stomach waste products. learning about your mind and body, and accomplishing something that very few do?

Any thoughts why bother when it could be easier?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So whats the point I think the obese individual with an obvious food addiction will continue to eat they'll be on that machine for hours. Many times the process of digestion and absorption and the release of huge amounts of insulin is what helps to provide the brain with that rush of pleasure hormones it is seeking. I can see this happening though here in the states as soon as it gets FDA approval. You know people would abuse this too. Wouldn't that suck to have a permanent stoma too, yuck!

It's not a stoma, at least normal feeding tubes do not involve a stoma. It's a little port on your belly about the size of a dime. It's flat against the skin and virtually invisible under even tight clothing. As far as aesthetics goes, I think many people would find it as (or more) attractive than rolls of fat.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

It's not a stoma, at least normal feeding tubes do not involve a stoma. It's a little port on your belly about the size of a dime. It's flat against the skin and virtually invisible under even tight clothing. As far as aesthetics goes, I think many people would find it as (or more) attractive than rolls of fat.

Hmmmm I thought that was the purpose of PEG or JPEG to create a small stomata into the GI tract for feedings with a port of course to thread the feeding tube into. Am I incorrect is the definition of stoma not a opening into the body cavity? So you think that this method would decrease fat rolls?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I've decided I'm fine with it. If anyone utilizing such a pump has to sit in a room where the walls are plastered with photos of starving children and the TV is constantly doing one of those send money, save a child infomercials.

If they can still dump the contents of their bellies into a bucket and flush it in those surroundings, let them have their bulimia.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    That is so horrifying, depressing and sad all at once.

Call me foolish but I'll take the normal way to obtaining the body I want to have...eating right and exercise.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Hmmmm I thought that was the purpose of PEG or JPEG to create a small stomata into the GI tract for feedings with a port of course to thread the feeding tube into. Am I incorrect is the definition of stoma not a opening into the body cavity? So you think that this method would decrease fat rolls?

While g-tubes or stomas maybe permanent if needed, they often are not (though those who use tubes permanently sometimes need to have them replaced periodically). I would imagine that for weight loss the tube is meant to be temporary.

Edit: Yes, I think any type of weight loss would reduce fat rolls.

I found a medical definition of "stoma". Under this definition a feeding would not qualify as it is not kept open all the time and is not "mouthlike".

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/stoma
    stoma /sto·ma/ (sto´mah) pl. sto´mas, sto´mata [Gr.] a mouthlike opening, particularly an incised opening which is kept open for drainage or other purposes.sto´mal
    Stoma resulting from a descending colostomy.
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i knew a girl who used to use her feeding tube (i forget why she had it but was really sick for awhile) as her way of throwing up. she knew she bulimic for doing that, she'd just push around it and what she ate would come out. her mom found out and it was removed.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfect. The Drs make money, the fast food manufacturers don't lose any trade and the obese stop being obese... Until the hole is closed back up at goal weight, the patient finds they haven't learnt how to eat sensibly, they regain all the weight and the cycle begins again.

Economic perpetual motion...
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Sounds perfect. The Drs make money, the fast food manufacturers don't lose any trade and the obese stop being obese... Until the hole is closed back up at goal weight, the patient finds they haven't learnt how to eat sensibly, they regain all the weight and the cycle begins again.

Economic perpetual motion...

^^^^THIS^^^^ It is really pathetic that we have come to this or that anyone thinks that this solves any problems (other than the problem of less-than-full wallets for docs and junk food manufacturers).
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It can save on the food bill. Buy food-chew-swallow-regurgitate like a bird- put in refrigerator. Next meal-eat regurgitated and now predigested shake-regurgitate. Anyone with this device want to experiment on how many regurgitations can be done? (I was fighting hunger pains- no problem now).
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    It can save on the food bill. Buy food-chew-swallow-regurgitate like a bird- put in refrigerator. Next meal-eat regurgitated and now predigested shake-regurgitate. Anyone with this device want to experiment on how many regurgitations can be done? (I was fighting hunger pains- no problem now).

Can't help it ----I gotta :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou: