OMG! Home food pump for obesity, medically assisted bulemia?

Options
12346»

Replies

• tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Just no....:noway: :grumble: :mad:
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That's horrible. Were they promoting it?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Just no....:noway: :grumble: :mad:

Yes, it is absurdly sad that anyone would consider such a thing.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Imagine doing that on a date....
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Well that's gross.
  • WTF7
    WTF7 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just hope surgeons are against this and will refuse to allow it :grumble:
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    This is not new. It was done a long long time ago but it went away!
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Arent they afraid of an infection? Or it tearing through the skin. I cant see anyone having a normal active lifestyle with that attached to them. And I couldn't imagine falling asleep comfortably with that stuck on my side. I freak out when my shirt crumples up and I can feel it between my skin and the mattress.

Feeding tubes are very safe and the risk of infection is small. Many people live with them for most of their lives for medical reasons, including children. There is very little restriction on activity with one.

My son lived with a gastric feeding tube for about 2 years, for about 9 months prior to that he had a tube in his nose, all for medical issue he was born with that are now resolved.

I can assure you, a normal life can be achieved while having a feeding tube in your belly. It didn't slow him down one single bit. As a matter of fact, it made him soo much healthier and gave us the time to work with our Occupational Therapist in getting him to accept foods orally.

He slept in all sorts of positions even when attached to his pump for over night feeds to get in more calories.

Also, infection rate is LOW. He had 1 the entire time, and even then, it is NOT normal to have one with a G tube. Of course grubby/grabby little hands that like to "fondle" tube sites can cause a pretty good infection. Kids are NOT the cleanest....LOL His 1 infection too about30 days of ABX to clear. He got 10 days, would take about 2 days off and BOOM I could tell it was coming back. Repeat for the 30 days.

That all said, using a feeding tube so that you can just eat whatever you want, that's just plain crazy.

And a pump would not take food OUT it would put food IN.
  • chalktosser
    Options
    gross!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If someone chose this as the only means to better health, i would not be against it. Plus from everything i have read, it sounds very, very safe with a lower risk of bad effects than some other procedures people are using now.

Why is everyone so against this, many children have acceptable results from a similar procedure, low low harmful effects...and it would be just one more tool to use safely until the person can get a handle on their eating.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Arent they afraid of an infection? Or it tearing through the skin. I cant see anyone having a normal active lifestyle with that attached to them. And I couldn't imagine falling asleep comfortably with that stuck on my side. I freak out when my shirt crumples up and I can feel it between my skin and the mattress.

Feeding tubes are very safe and the risk of infection is small. Many people live with them for most of their lives for medical reasons, including children. There is very little restriction on activity with one.

My son lived with a gastric feeding tube for about 2 years, for about 9 months prior to that he had a tube in his nose, all for medical issue he was born with that are now resolved.

I can assure you, a normal life can be achieved while having a feeding tube in your belly. It didn't slow him down one single bit. As a matter of fact, it made him soo much healthier and gave us the time to work with our Occupational Therapist in getting him to accept foods orally.

And a pump would not take food OUT it would put food IN.

Feeding tubes can be used to pump food in or out of the body. Many chronically ill people who have g-tubes long term use it to empty the stomach at times to keep them from vomiting and damaging the esophagus.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bad idea to me. Even if the patient lost weight using this device I am afraid they would be at risk of developing some really unhealthy habits.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I think I will just stick to eating 30% less. But, that being said. It looks slightly better than having someone remove part of their stomach forever.