breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• GosuLoli
    Options
    Remember, OP, correlation does not imply causation. Yes, there is a correlation between the numbers of people who eat breakfast and are overweight, but that does not mean that breakfast is a cause. There are going to be masses of intervening variables in this. You can't just cut out a meal because overweight people eat it too; that's like cutting out dinner, because hey, I bet all the overweight people ate dinner.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i think it depends what you eat for breakfast. stopping at ihop for all you can eat pancakes with bacon and the whole shebang isn't going to work.
    i'm content with my bowl of plain oats mixed with various things like pb/syrup, unsweetened applesauce or chocolate protein powder.
    to each their own.
    i don't see how eating a nutritional breakfast of eggwhites with veggies or whatever your choice may be is unhealthy. check your *kitten*.
    people are obese because they eat crap all day and not move around, or maybe because they have a medical problem (usually not the case), not because they eat the morning. check your *kitten* again.

shhhh this crowd doesn't like logic. ;)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Here is the proof! Ever since breakfast was invented in 1970 people have kept getting fatter. Just look at the chart. You can't argue with a sciency chart.
    breakfastchart.png

There is is on the chart. Proof postive!!

Try plotting the same for obesity and use of mobile phones. Or maybe use of synthetic fabrics? I also recommend plotting the previously suggested people with out without shoes and obese people. If it is a graph it must be science, proven and true.....

i doubt that 0% of people were obese in 1950. you need to check your *kitten* too
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is...

You're so funny. I've never been overweight and I've always eaten breakfast. I know people who always skip breakfast and are horribly overweight. Those, along with your story, are just individual anecdotes, and not proof of anything. If you do better without breakfast, more power to you, but don't blame breakfast for the obesity epidemic. :laugh:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, not till I started losing weight. Like NEVER had before...... so explain to me why I was obese WITHOUT eating it?

You consumed more calories than your body used.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. The OP states the only people who eat breakfast are obese, clearly that's wrong because I never use to eat breakfast. You totally missed the whole point of what I was saying. I clearly KNOW why I was obese.... more food & NO exercise for 20 years will do that to you. But I was replying to the OP & the stupid idea that if you eat breakfast you will become obese.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    People have been eating breakfast for a VERY long time and yet, most of our ancestors were quite thin. The few people who were "corpulent" in the past were the "well to do" (in fact, it became a mark of status to be plump). They were the only ones who had access to a lot of sweet food as sugar has always been very expensive until the latter half of the 20th century. In 1900, our consumption of sugar was less than 5 pounds per person per year. The obesity epidemic only started about 1960 or so. And it tracks perfectly with the consumption of sugar. Our per capita consumption of sugar skyrocketed during the prosperous Post-WWII era (you couldn't get much sugar during wartime rationing). It really got going when everyone started to eat more and more processed food in the 70s and it accelerated rapidly when we started eating more and more restaurant food (also heavily laden with sugar). Now, the per capita consumption of sugar is about 150 pounds per person per year. Not all of it is in "sugary" foods---much of it is hidden in processed food. Breakfast does not make people fat or unhealthy.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, not till I started losing weight. Like NEVER had before...... so explain to me why I was obese WITHOUT eating it?

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. The OP states the only people who eat breakfast are obese, clearly that's wrong because I never use to eat breakfast. You totally missed the whole point of what I was saying. I clearly KNOW why I was obese.... more food & NO exercise for 20 years will do that to you. But I was replying to the OP & the stupid idea that if you eat breakfast you will become obese.

No.. I got the point you were trying to make- I just pointed out the logical fallacy in your delivery. The same succinct statement could be directed at the OP. He stated himself that meal timing has little bearing on weight loss... so his original argument was fatally flawed from the get-go. But what fun would it have been to point that out 18 pages ago? :-)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Here is the proof! Ever since breakfast was invented in 1970 people have kept getting fatter. Just look at the chart. You can't argue with a sciency chart.
    breakfastchart.png

There is is on the chart. Proof postive!!

Try plotting the same for obesity and use of mobile phones. Or maybe use of synthetic fabrics? I also recommend plotting the previously suggested people with out without shoes and obese people. If it is a graph it must be science, proven and true.....

i doubt that 0% of people were obese in 1950. you need to check your *kitten* too
    I'm still laughing that so many people took this chart seriously when it's obviously made up. The accompanying text stating that breakfast was invented in 1970 should have been a clue that it was intentionally silly. (Sorry I forgot to add that it was invented by Phineas J. Breakfast.)

But on a more "serious" note, I was on active duty in the Air Force (basic training + tech school) for 9 months. Everyone ate breakfast. Nobody was fat. I was 155 lbs. I am 6'1". (I'm certain you will find similar results in basic training/boot camp for all the armed forces.) I also got a 99.6% test average, so it's safe to say my academic/cognitive performance wasn't diminished by eating breakfast. :tongue:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    This is still going lol... to funny..... but if anyone wants to send me there pop tarts I will keep eating my 1200 calorie breakfasts and keep adding to my ticker..... Best of Luck..... :-)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    This is still going lol... to funny..... but if anyone wants to send me there pop tarts I will keep eating my 1200 calorie breakfasts and keep adding to my ticker..... Best of Luck..... :-)

congrats on the amazing tranformation, and obviously you're much healthier than you were at the get-go, but the reality is that thin =/= healthy. HealthIER, like I said, but it doesn't mean your body is operating at a completely optimal level.

but if the only goal is weight loss, then more power to ya and congrats again!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

congrats on the amazing tranformation, and obviously you're much healthier than you were at the get-go, but the reality is that thin =/= healthy. HealthIER, like I said, but it doesn't mean your body is operating at a completely optimal level.

lol Much healthier lets try probably would be dead today had I not changed my ways... I eat my fair share of salad, fish, chicken and veggies but I will be damned if I give up any food I want to fit it my Macro's and Caloric intake... but I have never been on here to push an agenda just here to encourage and offer some advice when asked. Been doing resistance training since I was put in a therapy pool at 560 lbs. because I was unable to stand (or walk for that matter) so this has never been just about weightloss but Thanks anyway.....
  • CoachReddy
    Options

lol Much healthier lets try probably would be dead today had I not changed my ways... I eat my fair share of salad, fish, chicken and veggies but I will be damned if I give up any food I want to fit it my Macro's and Caloric intake... but I have never been on here to push an agenda just here to encourage and offer some advice when asked. Been doing resistance training since I was put in a therapy pool at 560 lbs. because I was unable to stand (or walk for that matter) so this has never been just about weightloss but Thanks anyway.....

good stuff. sorry didn't mean to belittle your accomplishment as obviously it was more important than just losing a few pounds.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    When I wake up im starving, I usually dont eat breakfast as I dont get up in time enough to prepare it, I usually eat a small snack on break at work and a then lunch and dinner with snack thown in between... funny how i was smaller when i ate breakfast and how im more now that I dont an funny how i have a friend that weighs close to 400 pounds and she doesnt eat breakfast im always like wtf she claims she cant eat when she first wakes up it makes her nauseous...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

No.. I got the point you were trying to make- I just pointed out the logical fallacy in your delivery. The same succinct statement could be directed at the OP. He stated himself that meal timing has little bearing on weight loss... so his original argument was fatally flawed from the get-go. But what fun would it have been to point that out 18 pages ago? :-)

fit is right and you are wrong..deal with it...:)
  • savbentley
    Options
    This is still going?

Makes me want pancakes.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    it is a historical fact that there was no breakfast or obese people prior to 1950. It is in all the history books...

tumblr_ma1u5jQmgQ1r83eiuo1_500.gif

52.gif

tumblr_mdak2cw2fk1qdk33ko1_r1_500.png
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    This is still going?

Makes me want pancakes.

Pancakes and sausage for first breakfast. Bacon for second breakfast.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm still laughing that so many people took this chart seriously when it's obviously made up.

This kind of thing tends to happen a lot around here. :laugh:
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    correlation =/= causation

That's right. We actually should say ^^^^ on just about every thread.
    On a personal note, I never skip breakfast and last time I checked I wasn't obese.
  • LilMissDB
    Options

why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. .

Actually, epidemiological research shows people who eat breakfast are more likely to be in the healthy weight range than people who don't.