breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• jdancy4468
    Options
    I eat a healthy breakfast most days, but I sometimes eat too much. For me it's not the time of day that matters in my weight problem, but how much I eat at any time. It's fun to manipulate statistics to suit our opinions, but maybe it's better simply to look at the scale, in the refrigerator, and on our plates.
  • chaoticgeek
    chaoticgeek Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here is the proof! Ever since breakfast was invented in 1970 people have kept getting fatter. Just look at the chart. You can't argue with a sciency chart.
    http://serpwidgets.com/pics/breakfastchart.png

I think your source is wrong. That chart claims almost 70% of the population is obese. When the most recent study from the CDC says only about 36% of the population is obese. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

And since everyone is throwing in anecdotal evidence I'll give my .02. For most of my life I never ate breakfast. I've been obese for most of my life too. About 7 months ago I started losing weight. One of the things that helped me was eating in the morning during traditional breakfast times. It made a huge impact on my work. I'm now the lead developer for my company and my brain needs lots of energy to actually code properly. When I started eating something in the morning I noticed clear thinking and better time spent. Then around 12:30 or 1pm I'm hungry again and I start losing focus. I eat again and soon I'm back to normal. I've actually got it down so that I eat again around noon so that I don't have that dip in my focus.

So breakfast helped me lose 40 pounds at least. 24 pounds is since the 1st of the year and that is about when I settled into a breakfast routine that cut yogurt out in the morning.

So for me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then lunch. I skip dinner sometimes when I'm not hungry but I can't skip a breakfast. However on the weekends when I don't have any work to do or any personal projects I'm working on I normally have a late breakfast and lunch and they are normally more even in size. Like now I'm going to go get something to eat for breakfast and I've already been up for two hours. During the week I could not do that and not be able to focus.

However my results are anecdotal and are no way scientific. Since I have not had breakfast I don't have the energy or focus to go find valid sources that say something one way or the other.

It is a made up chart.... how can you people not see this?

To be honest I stopped reading after page nine or ten. I only decided to post when I saw the image.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i think it depends what you eat for breakfast. stopping at ihop for all you can eat pancakes with bacon and the whole shebang isn't going to work.
    i'm content with my bowl of plain oats mixed with various things like pb/syrup, unsweetened applesauce or chocolate protein powder.
    to each their own.
    i don't see how eating a nutritional breakfast of eggwhites with veggies or whatever your choice may be is unhealthy. check your *kitten*.
    people are obese because they eat crap all day and not move around, or maybe because they have a medical problem (usually not the case), not because they eat the morning. check your *kitten* again.

applesauce and oatmeal ..ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

this is what is wrong with breakfast right here folks...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, not till I started losing weight. Like NEVER had before...... so explain to me why I was obese WITHOUT eating it?

You consumed more calories than your body used.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make. The OP states the only people who eat breakfast are obese, clearly that's wrong because I never use to eat breakfast. You totally missed the whole point of what I was saying. I clearly KNOW why I was obese.... more food & NO exercise for 20 years will do that to you. But I was replying to the OP & the stupid idea that if you eat breakfast you will become obese.

No.. I got the point you were trying to make- I just pointed out the logical fallacy in your delivery. The same succinct statement could be directed at the OP. He stated himself that meal timing has little bearing on weight loss... so his original argument was fatally flawed from the get-go. But what fun would it have been to point that out 18 pages ago? :-)

damn you fit! why do you have to be getting all logical and stuff...where is the fun in that..??
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    1348961153161.png
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I read an article a while back that said that people who skip breakfast tend to eat few calories in the course of their day. I'm not usually one to jump on the bandwagon of any article I read, but this made sense to me. I seldom eat breakfast now, and I haven't noticed any ill effects from it.
  • norghost
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Most successful one I've seen in a long time. Congrats, ndj.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    1348961153161.png

LOL this is awesome
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I read an article a while back that said that people who skip breakfast tend to eat few calories in the course of their day. I'm not usually one to jump on the bandwagon of any article I read, but this made sense to me. I seldom eat breakfast now, and I haven't noticed any ill effects from it.

please jump on the bandwagon or exit the thread...
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Most successful one I've seen in a long time. Congrats, ndj.

agreed. well done.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Here is the proof! Ever since breakfast was invented in 1970 people have kept getting fatter. Just look at the chart. You can't argue with a sciency chart.
    breakfastchart.png

I think your source is wrong. That chart claims almost 70% of the population is obese. When the most recent study from the CDC says only about 36% of the population is obese. http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

And since everyone is throwing in anecdotal evidence I'll give my .02. For most of my life I never ate breakfast. I've been obese for most of my life too. About 7 months ago I started losing weight. One of the things that helped me was eating in the morning during traditional breakfast times. It made a huge impact on my work. I'm now the lead developer for my company and my brain needs lots of energy to actually code properly. When I started eating something in the morning I noticed clear thinking and better time spent. Then around 12:30 or 1pm I'm hungry again and I start losing focus. I eat again and soon I'm back to normal. I've actually got it down so that I eat again around noon so that I don't have that dip in my focus.

So breakfast helped me lose 40 pounds at least. 24 pounds is since the 1st of the year and that is about when I settled into a breakfast routine that cut yogurt out in the morning.

So for me, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then lunch. I skip dinner sometimes when I'm not hungry but I can't skip a breakfast. However on the weekends when I don't have any work to do or any personal projects I'm working on I normally have a late breakfast and lunch and they are normally more even in size. Like now I'm going to go get something to eat for breakfast and I've already been up for two hours. During the week I could not do that and not be able to focus.

However my results are anecdotal and are no way scientific. Since I have not had breakfast I don't have the energy or focus to go find valid sources that say something one way or the other.

breakfast did not help you lose anything..you just ate in a deficit...
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
  • AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info - now I know all I need to do to lose weight is stop eating breakfast. :wink:
  • ndj1979
    Options

LOL you trying to tell me something...??
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about it not mattering. However I like to eat breakfast most days so I'm nice and full into the afternoon. Sometimes I skip it though.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I agree that it would be just as logical to blame dinner because 80% of people eat dinner and 40% of people are fat. It's what people eat and the quantities that cause obesity.

how dare you attempt to malign the healthiest and purest meal of the day, which would be dinner...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My take on this suggestion is this:

Breakfast does not cause obesity.. Eating too much does. If a person eats breakfast and the followed it with overeating throughout the day you will get that correlation. Breakfast adds calories and if people don't take that into account you get over eating. Over eating causes obesity, not breakfast.

And to add another perspective:
    I was not eating breakfast and was therefore not eating enough to sustain health. I added breakfast in and I can eat enough to sustain health now. I *did* lose weight. when not eating breakfast. I also lost weight after I started eating breakfast. however.. I am losing it slower now and because I have also started exercising, I'm losing inches. I am healthier. I attribute that party to breakfast. Also if I skip breakfast, I am not hungry later and I don't eat enough. Soo.. maybe it does kick start *my* metabolism. I just know what my body tells me.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I wake up at 5, I don't eat breakfast till 9. This is after I workout, take a shower, prepare my lunch and drive/arrive at work. Is it really breakfast anymore?
    Ok folks here are the stats...

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!

No, it is "first meal" not breakfast...
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I agree that it would be just as logical to blame dinner because 80% of people eat dinner and 40% of people are fat. It's what people eat and the quantities that cause obesity.

how dare you attempt to malign the healthiest and purest meal of the day, which would be dinner...

lol. yea dinner.. it's all dinner's fault.. oh.. maybe it's *really* all desserts fault. LOL. I wonder how many people eat dessert. mmmmm phish food... mmmmmm
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So if I just switch my toaster strudels, ihop and processed food crap to dinnertime I'll loose weight?