breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options
ndj1979
ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
Ok folks here are the stats...

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    I dont think obesity and eating breakfast are directly linked - as in stop eating breakfast and you wont be fat - obviously eating 5 burgers for breakfast is not a good idea - but something sensible like 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with low fat topping or fruit and yogurt or bowl of non sugared cereal is fine.

Not eating breakfast does lead to concentration lags during the morning and for some people mid morning binges.

People like diabetics on medication must eat breakfast to avoid hypos.

I dont think your theory is very sound.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the junk people are putting into their systems for breakfast? Pop tarts, strudels, coffee and pastries, hashbrowns, overloaded omelets, etc? Curious, did the study go into depth on what people were actually eating?

Regardless, I agree. Eat when you're hungry and don't when you're not. Mindless/forceful eating is a great way to put on weight quickly.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    you could be right..old Joe Pancake is housing down waffles, hashbrowns, sausage, bacon, and a half loaf of toast...maybe that is it...???
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I dont think obesity and eating breakfast are directly linked - as in stop eating breakfast and you wont be fat - obviously eating 5 burgers for breakfast is not a good idea - but something sensible like 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with low fat topping or fruit and yogurt or bowl of non sugared cereal is fine.

Not eating breakfast does lead to concentration lags during the morning and for some people mid morning binges.

why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

forty four percent of us eat breakfast, yet 2/3's of americans are obese. Hmmm yet we keep hearing that breakfast is the "most important meal of the day". I guess if you want to be obese then it is. Also, the whole "I need to eat breakfast to stoke the metabolic fire theory' has been totally debunked; as meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. So I say eat when you are hungry and the let the chips fall as they may. I personally have been skipping breakfast for about five months now, and have lost three percent body fat. Oh, and you wont go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast so don't even come with that...cheers!

I think I'll stick to eating breakfast and health & fitness advice backed by solid science and evidence.
    But thank you for your point of view.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Check my food diary and tell me my brekkies aren't (mostly) healthy. It's all about choices, baby.

Except weekends. They often include bacon.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    correlation =/= causation
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Not sure what the point of this post was...

It's just as easy to eat a healthy breakfast as it is to eat an unhealthy one, just like any other meal. The fact that you just stated that eating breakfast is a direct cause of obesity is absurd.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Consciously making an effort to eat a healthy nutritious breakfast was part of the reason I was so successful.

Granted, I'm not stuffing my face with pop-tarts or bagels first thing in the morning, which previously was part of the problem..
  • ndj1979
    Options

I think I'll stick to eating breakfast and health & fitness advice backed by solid science and evidence.
    But thank you for your point of view.
    kind regards,

Ben

what solid science would that be?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Check my food diary and tell me my brekkies aren't (mostly) healthy. It's all about choices, baby.

ummm your diary is private....
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options

why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....

This is so idiotic.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Actually, *not* eating breakfast has a high correlation to obesity.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Definitely agree with this as well. Lots of sugary cereals/quick breakfast options that come out of boxes or come frozen. Looking at the nutrition labels on those boxes, like 190 + cals sometimes for 3/4 c of cereal and measuring isn't always a standard, it's about filling up the bowl a lot of the time. Then depending on the kind of milk, calorie content in that. Before you know it, 400-500, breakfast cereal alone. When you go out, the caloric content on most breakfast combinations is pretty high with the exception of some things on the "lighter" side of the menu.
  • missability
    Options
    Breakfast.....= breaking fast......I don't think what time means anything.....I think whatever time our ancestors could go out, kill something, drag it home, and eat it...hence <<Breaking their fast.....is when they had their breakfast....We would do well to look at history on so so many things these days. <<<Just sayin s'all
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    No.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

ummm your diary is private....

not anymore.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm hangry when I wake up. That's why I eat breakfast. My body is telling me it wants food, so I oblige it. For the sake of humanity. You're all very welcome.
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry and I am usually not at breakfast. I disregard the "must eat breakfast line" and have managed to keep a normal weight. (Not that I can manage to lose the 10 nagging pounds, but that is mostly due to age and a sedentary job and has nothing do to with breakfast).
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    How does this make sense. Less than half the people in the US eat breakfast yet you are blaming breakfast for people being obese. So if 80% of people eat dinner then it must be dinners fault that people are obese. Lets cut dinner out then. Would go more towards your logic.