breakfast...the most unhealthiest meal of the day..

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You want to see some hilarious correlation?
    http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v57/n7/abs/1601618a.html
    In adults, smoking, infrequent exercise, low education level, male sex, higher BMI, and more frequent alcohol use were associated with breakfast skipping.

Of course there's this:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/55/3/645.short
    Fifty-two moderately obese adult women were stratified according to their baseline breakfast-eating habits and randomly assigned a weight-loss program. The no-breakfast group ate two meals per day and the breakfast group ate three meals per day. The energy content of the two weight-loss programs was identical. After the 12-wk treatment, baseline breakfast eaters lost 8.9 kg in the no-breakfast treatment and 6.2 kg in the breakfast treatment. Baseline breakfast skippers lost 7.7 kg in the breakfast treatment and 6.0 kg in the no-breakfast treatment. This treatment-by-strata-by-time interaction effect (P less than 0.06) suggests that those who had to make the most substantial changes in eating habits to comply with the program achieved better results. Analyses of behavioral data suggested that eating breakfast helped reduce dietary fat and minimize impulsive snacking and therefore may be an important part of a weight-reduction program.

So if you normally eat breakfast, skipping breakfast will help you lose weight. If you normally skip breakfast, eating breakfast will help you lose more weight.

Of course, then there is this study:
    http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/158/1/85.short
    In contrast, skipping breakfast was associated with increased prevalence of obesity (odds ratio = 4.5, 95% confidence interval: 1.57, 12.90), as was greater frequency of eating breakfast or dinner away from home.

Since I practice intermittent fasting, my "breakfast" is usually around 2pm because I feel better having not eaten first thing in the morning and I don't think it impacts my weight loss. I have read articles by doctors who say that breakfast can be good but can also be one of the easiest ways to cut excess calories out of your day (if you can continue to make good decisions about food) if you are trying to lose weight. I think it all depends on each person.

One of the studies I quoted shows that people who usually eat breakfast lost more weight not eating breakfast and people who don't usually eat breakfast lost more weight by eating breakfast. Their diets were identical in calories and macros. Only the timing was different. Like I said, it depends on the person.

Saying breakfast causes obesity is pretty silly though. I think there is more evidence to the contrary than there is supporting that statement.

soo you are saying IF is superior to eating breakfast? :)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    For years upon years I haven't ate breakfast and I never lost weight - can't blame it for gaining either... I've been eating breakfast now for about a month and while I am NOT losing really, I am NOT gaining either - but I do feel better through out the day and feel more energized in the mornings...

hmmm you must be an outlier ....
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm....breakfast......yummy .......healthy(for me) check it......that's all i got....Lolol
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I dont think obesity and eating breakfast are directly linked - as in stop eating breakfast and you wont be fat - obviously eating 5 burgers for breakfast is not a good idea - but something sensible like 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with low fat topping or fruit and yogurt or bowl of non sugared cereal is fine.

Not eating breakfast does lead to concentration lags during the morning and for some people mid morning binges.

People like diabetics on medication must eat breakfast to avoid hypos.

I dont think your theory is very sound.

why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....

Ok, first, you said in original post that breakfast is the "most important" meal, now you are saying it is called the "healthiest." Which one is it? They don't mean the same thing.
    Second, you say that 2/3 population are obese, and 44 percent eat breakfast. So that is 66% for obese and 44% for breakfast, guaranteeing ONLY that 10% of the obese population eats breakfast. The other 56% of obese people may or may not be part of the population that eat breakfast. Therefore you can not say that most of the people eating breakfast are obese.

Either your semantics or your statistical analyses are off...

Either one is quite possible as I am 4 vodkas in. However, please tell me what part of my argument you took issue with. I would like to look it over and see if I stand by my argument.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mmmmmm....breakfast......yummy .......healthy(for me) check it......that's all i got....Lolol

words of non wisdom..you have much to lear my young padawon
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I dont think obesity and eating breakfast are directly linked - as in stop eating breakfast and you wont be fat - obviously eating 5 burgers for breakfast is not a good idea - but something sensible like 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with low fat topping or fruit and yogurt or bowl of non sugared cereal is fine.

Not eating breakfast does lead to concentration lags during the morning and for some people mid morning binges.

People like diabetics on medication must eat breakfast to avoid hypos.

I dont think your theory is very sound.

why not? Everyone says that breakfast is the most "healthiest meal" of the day. But most of the people eating breakfast are obese. You know who is selling that breakfast is the healthiest meal line...the companies that are selling you breakfast - Kellogg's, quaker, etc etc...so OF COURSE they want you to think breakfast is healthy so you will keep buying their crap....

Ok, first, you said in original post that breakfast is the "most important" meal, now you are saying it is called the "healthiest." Which one is it? They don't mean the same thing.
    Second, you say that 2/3 population are obese, and 44 percent eat breakfast. So that is 66% for obese and 44% for breakfast, guaranteeing ONLY that 10% of the obese population eats breakfast. The other 56% of obese people may or may not be part of the population that eat breakfast. Therefore you can not say that most of the people eating breakfast are obese.

what what what..??? I never said breakfast was the healthiest..i said all the breakfast companies are selling you that line of garbage so that you keep buying all their products...

I never said that you were of the opinion that it was the healthiest, I said you said it was CALLED the healthiest.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Not even getting into a debate on this one! All I'll say is that I disagree, and that if you eat healthy for breakfast, you will not be obese. An apple or banana or something light, or even a couple eggs with something lite to go with it, will not keep you fat.
  • ndj1979
    Options

all you haters should read this ASAP....
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options

yes jedi master.....maybe over breakfast you can teach me the wisdom:)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    In adults, smoking, infrequent exercise, low education level, male sex, higher BMI, and more frequent alcohol use were associated with breakfast skipping.

Of course there's this:
    Fifty-two moderately obese adult women were stratified according to their baseline breakfast-eating habits and randomly assigned a weight-loss program. The no-breakfast group ate two meals per day and the breakfast group ate three meals per day. The energy content of the two weight-loss programs was identical. After the 12-wk treatment, baseline breakfast eaters lost 8.9 kg in the no-breakfast treatment and 6.2 kg in the breakfast treatment. Baseline breakfast skippers lost 7.7 kg in the breakfast treatment and 6.0 kg in the no-breakfast treatment. This treatment-by-strata-by-time interaction effect (P less than 0.06) suggests that those who had to make the most substantial changes in eating habits to comply with the program achieved better results. Analyses of behavioral data suggested that eating breakfast helped reduce dietary fat and minimize impulsive snacking and therefore may be an important part of a weight-reduction program.

So if you normally eat breakfast, skipping breakfast will help you lose weight. If you normally skip breakfast, eating breakfast will help you lose more weight.

In contrast, skipping breakfast was associated with increased prevalence of obesity (odds ratio = 4.5, 95% confidence interval: 1.57, 12.90), as was greater frequency of eating breakfast or dinner away from home.

Since I practice intermittent fasting, my "breakfast" is usually around 2pm because I feel better having not eaten first thing in the morning and I don't think it impacts my weight loss. I have read articles by doctors who say that breakfast can be good but can also be one of the easiest ways to cut excess calories out of your day (if you can continue to make good decisions about food) if you are trying to lose weight. I think it all depends on each person.

One of the studies I quoted shows that people who usually eat breakfast lost more weight not eating breakfast and people who don't usually eat breakfast lost more weight by eating breakfast. Their diets were identical in calories and macros. Only the timing was different. Like I said, it depends on the person.

Saying breakfast causes obesity is pretty silly though. I think there is more evidence to the contrary than there is supporting that statement.

I'm saying IF works for me and I do not feel compelled to eat breakfast. I am a big fan of breakfast for dinner though :)

I like all the links PeanutButters is posting. Interesting :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

Of course there's this:

I'm saying IF works for me and I do not feel compelled to eat breakfast. I am a big fan of breakfast for dinner though :)

I like all the links PeanutButters is posting. Interesting :)

i eat eggs all the time ..just most of the time in the evening...although sometimes I deviate from IF and have an omelet at like 11:30 on saturday after my post AM HIIT work...
  • ndj1979
    Options

yes jedi master.....maybe over breakfast you can teach me the wisdom:)

it will be noon but we will still break our fast padawon...
  • whitesox56
    Options
    I work second shift, get up around 10-11am, go to the gym, go to work, eat lunch around 2pm, have a light dinner around 7pm and I've lost 30 lbs in like 90 days and I very rarely eat breakfast. Just sayin....
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    What if I work night shift and I have dinner (steak and potatoes) when most people are eating breakfast?
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    1) Some people may not be able to skip breakfast for health reasons, BUT...
    2) I didn't think I could live without eating 60 - 90 minutes after waking, until I started eating incrementally later and later. Now my first solid food of the day (I have a big cup of decaf in the morning) is between 12 and 1 PM and I am steadily losing weight, whereas I was plateau'd for a while. I have more energy and mental alertness than when I was eating earlier in the day. I also find it easier to stick within my calorie goal if I have fewer hours in which I allow myself to eat. Because I often leave work late, then work out late, etc., I find myself having dinner at 8 - 9 PM, sometimes later. I wanted to stop eating earlier in the day, but that never worked with my work and family's schedule, so I'd end up with long stretches between meals, get too hungry, and then eat too many snacks, not always healthy ones because they were unplanned. Now that I know I am starting later, it is easier to plan my calories load for the day. The big cup of decaf (with a little soy creamer) and some organic vegetable juice a little bit earlier than when I start eating (only if I need it, but lately I haven't) seems to keep me going. Now I sometimes have to work to eat my calorie goal by the end of the day (I normally manage it).
    3) Conclusion: It's not for everyone, but it's working for me, much to my surprise.

By the way, I DO drink 3 glasses of water early in the morning, which also helps.
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    So why have we been lectured to about "the most important meal of the day" for all these years? "There are a lot of forces in our society pushing against" skipping breakfast, says Mark Mattson, PhD, chief of the Laboratory of Neurosciences at the National Institute on Aging. "Those forces are driven by money. They include the food industry obviously, and in some respects the pharmaceutical industry.” Breakfast cereals alone are an $11 billion a year industry, and that's before you get into eggs and bacon, bagels and lox, pancakes and syrup.
  • 970Mikaela1
    Options
    So it's not breakfast per se but breakfast TIME that is the question?